• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada Geese with white eye rings (1 Viewer)

fugl

I would estimate that upwards of 50 or so of a big tame flock of wintering Canada Geese I walked through this morning at a local park (in Reno, Nevada) had bold white eye rings. Many of these birds also had variable amounts of white flecking on the head and/or neck, but others were completely "normal" except for the eye rings. The flock numbered 650-700 so the proportion of birds with eye rings was fairly high--probably upwards of 7-8%.

Here's photo of one of the "eye-ringed" geese:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/2935769407/

I've encountered these eye rings in the past, but have never seen references to them in field guides or other literature and have always been curious about them.. I assume that the white blotching and flecking characteristic of many of the local Canadas are the effects of relaxed selection pressures in the safety of the suburbs, and maybe that's also the "explanation" for the eye rings? Does anyone know the incidence of white eye rings among "wild" populations?--very low, I would guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back