• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirmation needed (Poland) (1 Viewer)

I see your point about the seemingly greyish tone to this gull, which I still hold as a GBBG, but I don´t trust the image according to black and white tones. Some argentatus are still more brownish at this time of year, some are not, some are more dark patterned on belly, some are not and so on.. and it´s a pitty we can´t see wing and tail pattern as well!

Some argentatus:

http://www.elisanet.fi/antero.lindholm/public_html/lokki/arg2kv.htm

JanJ

Last edited:
namq said:
Thanks!

These young gulls were amazing - I could nearly touch them. Like pigeons in other cities.

I wonder if I get these right... Photos taken today, northern Poland. Thanks in advance.

1. (Red) Knot Calidris canutus ?
2. Redshanks ??
3. Sandwich Tern Sterna sandivicensis ?
4. Arctic Tern Sterna paradisea ?
5. Mallard - partially eclipse ??

Would go with Curlew Sandpiper for the 1st picture, Greenshank for the 2nd, all the rest correctly identified by you. Redshank always shows a white trailing edge to the wing...

For the head and the bill, I am willing to give in on either site. My feelings say it matches for GBBG but my findings show me that some Herring match the typical bill shape as well; two birds were found to be completely equal . One GBBG is found completely equal in bill shape with this bird, most others are found to have even heavier bills. For bill length in proportion of width of the bill, I would place it with most GBBG. After all, this shape of bill is typical GBBG. Still two Herring remained on this feature, all the other Herring show longer bills compared to width of the bill. For the position of the eye in the head, it falls out of reach of the longer billed Herrings, with their sloping heads, the broadbilled Herrings remain on this feature, together with another I found
For the plumage: I have not found any GBBG to be so much out of contrast with dark patterning. Even the palest GBBG still has still a lot more of darker patterning overall.
Our bird shows only few darker feathers on the lesser coverts and some darker patterning is found on a few visible scapulars.
Even many Herring gulls are featured with more darker contrast than this bird and not few birds are equally pale.
The younger GBBGs are not solely without lighter greyer tones and are to be found with and without these greyer tones as well.
To make the lighter grey tone as conclusive between the species at this age is therefore invallid.

Since I am not able to let the most important feature be shown :
The size of the bird itself,
I will not tag a final identity to this bird unless a better feature will enter the Forum arena.

Gerd

2 more photos of the 5th gull. I could get the size of it if I go back and measure the lamp :)

Attachments

• _MG_1376.jpg
    _MG_1376.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_1380.jpg
    _MG_1380.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 89
Thats an improvment namq, looks a bit sharper now, and even a better GBBG.

Whay do you say Gerd?

JanJ

The headshape, both the front and the back of the head is perfect for GBBG.
Combined with still a pale head, the head may be conclusive (since two strong features are at one place, it ll become hard to argue otherwise)
For the plumage I would say no.
Looking at it as a thumbnail, I would say yes.

JANJ said:
Let´s make it a Herring Gull with a Great Black-backed Gull head then. 3:)

JanJ :smoke:

Could it be a hybrid then?

Some more photos of a Phylloscopus (photo #2, post #36). Wood Warbler would be a new species for me |:d| - these seem to be not too common in my region. Plus one more young Tern (Black?) and Gull.

Attachments

• _MG_2080.jpg
    _MG_2080.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 93
  • _MG_2091.jpg
    _MG_2091.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 98
  • _MG_2092.jpg
    _MG_2092.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_1595.jpg
    _MG_1595.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 97
  • _MG_1283.jpg
    _MG_1283.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 106
Wood warbler has been a really abundant phyloscopus during my trip through your country this spring. Their distinctive song was heard all along.
I heard them in every forest in Poland. I dd say it to be subjective to make it numberwise the most abundant, but they attracted me the more to watch at them.

Your phyloscopus are all willow w. , a black tern and... I am with JanJ: a fine looking GBBG

Last edited:
Namq, Wood warblers are abundant in our region as well (although I realized it only this year) - places to look for them are beech woods of Trojmiejski Park Krajobrazowy; difficult to watch though, but song with crazy accelerando at the end distinctive, best listened to probably in May

gerdwichers8 said:
Wood warbler has been a really abundant phyloscopus during my trip through your country this spring. Their distinctive song was heard all along.
I heard them in every forest in Poland. I dd say it to be subjective to make it numberwise the most abundant, but they attracted me the more to watch at them.

I know they are common in Poland, maybe even in my region, I just didn't notice them yet. It's strange - I try to photograph each and every new or unidentified bird I see and I didn't encounter Wood Warblers yet. 154 species this year, no Wood Warbler...

mikus said:
Namq, Wood warblers are abundant in our region as well (although I realized it only this year) - places to look for them are beech woods of Trojmiejski Park Krajobrazowy; difficult to watch though, but song with crazy accelerando at the end distinctive, best listened to probably in May

Hi mikus!

It's even probable that there's a Wood Warbler within 1 km from my place now (I live quite close to a forest), but somehow I did not encounter any, yet. The funny thing is that when I see a new bird I always find them everywhere afterwards :)

stonechat1 said:
Hy namq,

there are no pics of Citril Wagtail (Motacilla citreola)?!

Rez. Beka is a well know´n breeding - place for this species
This pic I made there (and many more):
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81873/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Some of my photos of Citrine Wagtail:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/namq/tags/pliszkacytrynowa/

Here is the list of some of the bird species (not all) I've photographed:
http://flickr.com/people/namq/

I've never seen a Mongolian Plover yet. Nice catch! I know there were some observations of them in Beka.

stonechat1 said:
Where did you take the gull-pics? Wladyslawowo, Hel? The port of W. produce in winter good options for rarity´s but this is nothing new for you I guess.

These photos were taken in Ustka. Yes, Władysławowo is a good place for rarities in Poland, but I did not see any yet.

I had a singing Citrin Wagtail male singing in the Biebrza at 14th of May at Barwick.
Later on a male singing at the 2nd of June at the Teici Reserve in Latvia.
This bird is heading West wards?

Back to birdwatching in Poland. All photos taken today in Beka reserve, northern Poland.

Thanks in advance for help. If you need better photos, say so - I can edit them (RAW format).

6829-6874: ?
6890: Temminck's Stint ?
6894: juv Little Ringed Plover ?

Attachments

• _MG_6829.jpg
    _MG_6829.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
  • _MG_6831.jpg
    _MG_6831.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_6874.jpg
    _MG_6874.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 123
  • _MG_6890.jpg
    _MG_6890.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 130
  • _MG_6894.jpg
    _MG_6894.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 124
6829 + 6831 reed buntings
6874 linnets?
6890 is hard but prob. right with temminckii
6894 juv little ringed plovers alright

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back