• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

i have no idea. but sure is hybrids can look very close to one parent part, so graellsii like mantles with pinkish legs could well be hybrids. and they should not be that rare considering the large populations of both sp. in great britain.
e.g. some cach x argentatus look absolutely like pure cachs.
i had my doubts about adult LBBG with flesh coloured or even pinkish legs since i think in michahellis this is a consistent feature of adult birds (no or very very rare flesh coloured legs in adults). ruud confirmed my suspicion in saying he (or "they" are considering such birds as hybrids).

cheers

Thanks Lou.

I digiscoped two more pink legged birds yesterday (there were 88 LBBGs present, so 1 in 44..). It does seem that the darker (intermedius?) birds are more likely to have pink(ish) legs and not the graellsii but I need to look at more birds to satisfy myself that this assumption is correct. I also found a yellow-legged Herring too.

The hybrid from a couple of weeks back can be viewed here:

http://www.kentos.org.uk/gallery/main.php

This bird does seem to fit Ruud's assumption, on the other hand.

Cheers, Andy.

sure a nice male type 1cy caspian on aple bill bill base, not too short bill for caspian and with pointed tip, white head with dark shawl, pale underwing - esp. "armpits" (axilliaries), stronger window than mich (pale inner webs to primaries), diffuse GC pattern and not tapering subterminal tailband. great shots, cris!

sure a nice male type 1cy caspian on aple bill bill base, not too short bill for caspian and with pointed tip, white head with dark shawl, pale underwing - esp. "armpits" (axilliaries), stronger window than mich (pale inner webs to primaries), diffuse GC pattern and not tapering subterminal tailband. great shots, cris!

Indeed; everything else 'is there'. They are lovely shots.

Hi Lou, Andy,

I also have a few shot with an adult Caspian, a 2cy Yellow-legged, and an adult Common Gull. I will try to upload some of them this evening.

Dambovita river, December 4th 2011.

Attachments

• PC042680m.jpg
    PC042680m.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 41
  • PC042702m.jpg
    PC042702m.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
  • PC042706m.jpg
    PC042706m.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PC042722m.jpg
    PC042722m.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • PC042669m.jpg
    PC042669m.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi all,

this sub-ad was digiscoped today. It was the palest bird present and also a little bulkier than the other Lesser Black-backeds present. Note the leg colour in comparison to the (one, token, present) Yellow-legged Gull behind it.

Cheers, Andy.

Attachments

• LBBG + YLG.JPG
    LBBG + YLG.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 53
Do you think this is a hybrid LBBG x Herring Gull, Andy?

Hi Cristian - I don't think so. I think it's a sub-ad LBBG. I think it demonstrates the variability that's found in this species. However, note that the bird would appear pale (bleached) in today's strong sunlight and sub-ads are often paler anyway. Also, it is probably a Graellsii.

An adult Kittiwake was also present which was a surprise.

Cheers,

Andy.

i got to agree with cristian's suspicion. to me quite a 'clearcut' hybrid if such exists:

- bill shape (looks like an ordinary herring gull bill)
- looks large headed too
- pale mantle (would be at the pale end of graellsii, like in iceland birds)
- pinkish cast to legs
- bulky body as you noted
- last but not least: very wide tertial crescent - a feature mentioned by peter adriaens in his surfbirds article on hybrids.

cheers

What do you think about this Gull?
Photographed today by a friend of me on the german baltic coast.

moewececkhafen111210b00.jpg

moewececkhafen111210a00.jpg

Last edited:
HELP: november cachinnans pics needed

andy, steve, cristian and all others who take good pics:

i'd need good pics of caspian gulls for ID pages (comparisons) on ORG.
what's in your stock?

i would need the RAWs (or at least good and sharp originals, jpg) to crop and fit text into them myself.

for the moment a comparison of november birds is planned, of all ages (1cy to adult), pics of each a standing and a flying bird. AND: it got to be a very typical one (this is not so easy...).

so: who wants to have his name on a gull-research-org comparison ID page? ;)

cheers to ya all B :)B :)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back