• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The return of the Whooper Swans (1 Viewer)

Ken Hall

The Whooper Swans have returned to Loch Davan. I don't know when they arrived, but it can't have been long ago. A dozen or so sat on their reflections on the smooth steel grey water of the loch. They were far enough out towards the middle not to be bothered by my presence, but I knew they were aware of me, standing on the elevated spur of ancient pine that juts out over the north shore. There was no wind, and a soft rain fell gently from the unbroken cloud. Away to the south, Mount Keen wore its first snows of the winter. Perhaps the Whoopers had brought it with them from Iceland.

Round the reedy shore, small numbers of ducks were busy. Wigeon whistled to each other, Mallards laughed inanely at nothing, and Tufted Ducks slipped quietly beneath the surface to escape the commotion. The swans stayed aloof from all the clamour. Some dozed, others preened, and always one or two were watchful, necks held aloft and heads turning to scan for danger. Whenever the duck talk faltered, I could listen to the calming conversation of the swans.

I stood there, leaning on the rough pine, soft moss under my feet, until darkness began to gather, and the yellow reflections of the birches on the far shore faded. And all the time, the swans spoke softly to me, sending their words of comfort across the stillness of time.

Attachments

• Whooper Swans, Loch Davan, cropped.jpg
    Whooper Swans, Loch Davan, cropped.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 138
What a lovely description of your day Ken. I'm looking forward to seeing them on my local lochs when I get back.

D

Thanks for your reply Delia. I'm enjoying reading about your trip down south - and more to come I see. Have you read anything by Jim Crumley? He's from Dundee, and the best nature writer I've come across.
cheers, Ken

Ken Hall said:
Away to the south, Mount Keen wore its first snows of the winter. Perhaps the Whoopers had brought it with them from Iceland.

They may well have Ken, as there has been some snow in Iceland this autumn, especially in the north, but the snow comes and goes here throughout the winter. It was -7°C when I arrived at work this morning and with northerly winds forecast for the next few days I'd expect many more Whoopers to leave Iceland this week. I'd imagine that some of your ducks are Icelandic as well.

E

Ken Hall said:
Thanks for your reply Delia. I'm enjoying reading about your trip down south - and more to come I see. Have you read anything by Jim Crumley? He's from Dundee, and the best nature writer I've come across.
cheers, Ken

Hi Ken

Jim Crumley, yes - he does (did?) a regular column in the Dundee Courier, but I don't get it very often now. His articles were always very interesting. Think he's done some for the Scots Magazine too.

Have to do today's report now - not a great one though - bloomin' weather, kids and strimmers! :C

D

A Lovely Tale

What a lovely story about your late afternoon visit.Please keep everyone involved with the going ons at the Loch ? Perfect bedtime reading. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Ken, :hi:

I enjoyed your story very much. Loch Davan sounds a wonderful place to visit. I have not seen any whooper swans this year so far but I hope that will change soon!

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the story of the Whoopers,saw my own yesterday at Caerlaverock on the subject of Scottish nature writing read Findings by Kathleen Jamie, Andrew Marr describes her as a "21st century Gilbert White."

Hi Paul
thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Funny how all the replies to my original post came from Scotland (and Iceland). Wonder why? :h?: Must go back and update you on Davan doings. It is such a peaceful spot and only 15 minutes from home. B :)

Ken

Ken Hall said:
Hi Paul
thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Funny how all the replies to my original post came from Scotland (and Iceland). Wonder why? :h?: Must go back and update you on Davan doings. It is such a peaceful spot and only 15 minutes from home. B :)

Ken[/QUOTE

Its them who are missing out,Ken ! Look forward to your next story.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back