• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Sandpiper w/ 190XB and 128RC? (1 Viewer)

Pawelek

I've recently bought my first scope, an angled Vortex Sandpiper, and have been wading through the overwhelming number of combinations of tripods and heads out there. I'll be a casual user of the equipment and have a budget of around $250. I'd be grateful if you would give any advice yea-or-nay about the suitability of a Manfrotto 190XB tripod w/ the 128RC fluid head for my scope and use. I found a price of $210 for this combination. Also, would there be any reason to buy the Manfrotto 190PROB tripod instead of the 190XB? Thanks and best regards.

I've recently bought my first scope, an angled Vortex Sandpiper, and have been wading through the overwhelming number of combinations of tripods and heads out there. I'll be a casual user of the equipment and have a budget of around $250. I'd be grateful if you would give any advice yea-or-nay about the suitability of a Manfrotto 190XB tripod w/ the 128RC fluid head for my scope and use. I found a price of $210 for this combination. Also, would there be any reason to buy the Manfrotto 190PROB tripod instead of the 190XB? Thanks and best regards.

I think the answer would depend on how tall you are. If you are under 6' tall, I think the 190XB is an excellent choice with an angled scope. If you're taller like I am (6'3"), the 190XB is a little undersized and you might want to consider the 055XB.
The added features of the XBPRO, namely the tilting center column, is really only a feature that photographers would use. I can't see any benefit of the PRO version for a spotting scope.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

I'm 6'2", so the 055XB + the 128RC sounds like the best choice. In fact, I've just ordered them at Eagle Optics. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back