• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any feedback on Pentax DCF CS 10x42? (1 Viewer)

I got them today.

Only had time for a very quick look through them at lunch time. But for me that was long enough to decide that I don't like them.

The ergonomics are good, they are lightweight but sit well in my hands and the eye-relief is good for my glasses. I had to twist the eyecups out about 1mm to get it right. Focus was smooth with no slack in it and easy but not too easy to turn. Just over one and three quarter turns from end to end.
They felt good in the hands, easy to use.

The fov is 7.5* on the spec. I didn't measure it but it felt a bit cramped.

Now the view- oh dear!

At first I thought it pleasant enough on the very first look. They are very sharp in the centre with a large sweetspot, say 60%, good contrast, but it didn't take long for problems to show themselves.

At times there was a partial halo of glare in the outer lower quadrants of the view. I couldn't work out what was causing it. It was there with the sun behind me and in front of me. The sun light was weak winter sun on a very cloudy day, by the way.
At other times there was a yellow hazy circle right at the very edge of the fov. Like a glowing hazy circle of yellow light. Again I couldn't work out if a particular position relative to the sun was causing this.

After just a 5-10 minute view, I couldn't take any more and boxed them back up. They're going right back where they came from asap.....

Best wishes
Martin

Martin,

Thanks for that mini-review. After checking out a pair of Pentax 8x36 NV bins in the field and liking them (didn't do a careful test, but the sweet spot seemed wider than 60%, the fall off at the edges was gradual), I thought the CS would be even better with a degree wider FOV, larger aperture, and silver coatings.

I also like the tapered cone shaped eyecups that fit nicely into my eye orbits (eyecup fit is often an issue for me with my deep-set eyes).

The CS looks similar to the Pentax SP & ED upper crust line bins BUT spec-wise, it has a FOV that's equal to the top o' the line's 8x32s, not their 6.5* 8x43s. Makes no sense to make the lower rung bins with a wider FOV than the top rung, IMO. Should be the other way around.

Pentax has always been stingy when it comes to FOV, with their porros as well. Unless you had a bad sample, it appears that Pentax has yet to master the art of making a wide FOV bin (at least in modern times, Asahi Pentax made some WF bins).

Hoya, oh boya!

"Leonardo, back to the drawing board!"

Last edited:
The pentax DCF CS 8x42 can get bought for approx $200 (including mail in rebate) from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673561-USA/Pentax_62555_DCF_CS_8x42_Binocular.html

To me, the main competition right now are the Monarchs for about $66 more

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671382-REG/Nikon_7294_Monarch_ATB_8x42_Binocular.html

Specs wise the pentax seem better but there's hardly any reviews on them while the monarchs look like a reliable choice. The monarchs also carry a 25 year warranty vs. pentax's 1 year.

So I'm torn here, save the $60 and gamble a bit on quality or just go the monarch route? Or perhaps another model I'm missing in the same price range. Did anyone here end up keeping the DCF CF's or have at least sampled them a bit more?

I can not comment on the quality of the models your interested in. I have not viewed them.

But the warranty is "Pentax no fault".

Sport Optics "Worry-Free" Warranty
The PENTAX “Worry-Free” Warranty is available on all PENTAX Sport Optics products purchased in the United States, on or after March 1, 2006, from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer.

PENTAX Sport Optics products are of the highest optical and mechanical quality. If your PENTAX Binocular, Spotting Scope or Riflescope purchased in the USA from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer requires repair, PENTAX will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.* This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with comparable model at PENTAX’s discretion if the original model is no longer available.)

*Applies only to unmodified equipment or product with modifications performed by authorized PENTAX repair personnel.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back