• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

In my dreams! looking at some of these lists turns me various shades of green. Just interested in what counts for a garden tick. Presuming by some of the species noted (unless of course you live in Woburn abbey and untold acres) unlike the RSPB garden watch fly-overs are legit. If so I can claim common buzzard and red kite (not this year though).

I have always fed the birds that come into my tiny little urban garden but only started keeping a list since I got back into serious birding a few years back. Whilst I cannot claim a long list I have clocked up one two interesting species such as redpoll, siskin, GSW and sparrow hawk (I have male, female and juv on separate occasions which probably means they are breeding close by). Whilst my own garden is only very small, it is well planted with a variety of deciduous and evergreen shrubs and we are surrounded by some much larger gardens with mature trees and playing fields and park across the road.

As you all say, this does become addictive. Since the first sprawk landed on the fence next to the fence even my wife has bought herself a pair of compact bins to keep in the kitchen!

I shall continue to follow with interest and envy.

In my dreams! looking at some of these lists turns me various shades of green. Just interested in what counts for a garden tick. Presuming by some of the species noted (unless of course you live in Woburn abbey and untold acres) unlike the RSPB garden watch fly-overs are legit. If so I can claim common buzzard and red kite (not this year though).

I have always fed the birds that come into my tiny little urban garden but only started keeping a list since I got back into serious birding a few years back. Whilst I cannot claim a long list I have clocked up one two interesting species such as redpoll, siskin, GSW and sparrow hawk (I have male, female and juv on separate occasions which probably means they are breeding close by). Whilst my own garden is only very small, it is well planted with a variety of deciduous and evergreen shrubs and we are surrounded by some much larger gardens with mature trees and playing fields and park across the road.

As you all say, this does become addictive. Since the first sprawk landed on the fence next to the fence even my wife has bought herself a pair of compact bins to keep in the kitchen!

I shall continue to follow with interest and envy.

Seems like you've joined the club.:t:

Another this morning :

54: Greylag

flying past.

Welcome, Paul.
Yes - if you can see or hear it from your garden then it's on the list

Last edited:
Did a 2 hour traipse outback in the wood this am...highlight an immature Greenfinch (always good as these have become quite scarce), reasonable nos.of Goldcrest and a party (5) Goldfinch atop highest tree in wood. Upon return sat sitting with cup in hand, a male Greenfinch! in garden Ash interacting with a Song Thrush...when over the top appeared a "flock of silhouetted Starling!"(not often seen!)...or were they something else?.....:-C

Did a 2 hour traipse outback in the wood this am...highlight an immature Greenfinch (always good as these have become quite scarce), reasonable nos.of Goldcrest and a party (5) Goldfinch atop highest tree in wood. Upon return sat sitting with cup in hand, a male Greenfinch! in garden Ash interacting with a Song Thrush...when over the top appeared a "flock of silhouetted Starling!"(not often seen!)...or were they something else?.....:-C

Maybe the 'Holmfirth 16' Ken ;)

I missed the Devon Waxwings on our UK visit last week due to thick fog curtailing activity on our designated 'birding day' (still a Yellow-browed Warbler and Rosy Starling were good compensation later on in the week:t:).
Back here the snow's melting fast (16°C in Geneva yesterday afternoon!) and Siskins and Goldfinches are all of a twitter, a welcome and overdue addition for the Garden Year arrived in our pine tree this morning:

36 Crossbill

Seems like you've joined the club.:t:

Ok then. based on the rules as explained here goes for this year so far
1 House Sparrow
2 Starling
3 Blackbird
4 Robin (Does it count for two if actually in the house. The cheeky little blighter actually nipped in through the back door and was taking a peck out of my sandwich on the breakfast bar!!)
5 Song Thrush
6 Goldfinch
7 Blue Tit
8 Great Tit
9 Green Finch
10 Coal Tit
11 Woodpigeon
12 Carrion crow
13 Mallard
14 Mute Swan
15 Mistle Thrush
16 Sparrow Hawk
17 Green Woodpecker
18 Long Tailed Tit
19 Common Gull
20 Fieldfare
21 Black Headed Gull
22 Song Thrush
24 Magpie
25 Dunnock
26 Wren
27 Jackdaw
28 Grey Heron
29 Collared Dove

A long way to go and no hope of catching some of you guys. Working from home tomorrow so will be sitting at the breakfast bar watching the feeders. may just have to set up the scope in the front bedroom and haver a bit of a scan around over the playing fields too.

Off to stock up on Rowan berries for the bird table. Those waxwings were only a couple of miles away last week!!

Two there I still need, Paul - haven't seen Green woody in over a year now. Mute Swan the other.

Swans were a flypast over the playing fields. Canal and river only about a mile away as the crow (or swan) flies. Green woody heard in the poplars across the road.

My sister in law saw a little egret last week on the brook that runs through park so will be keeping my eyes out for that one. I know there are nuthatches in the copse on the park but that is right across the other end from us and never seen or heard them on this side. Live in hope of a atray finding my fatballs one day though.

Rock n' roll garden listing

One of those days when it's hard to get on with any scheduled tasks due to all the birdy action going on. Heavy snow here overnight so after digging my way to to the feeders (and re-filling them) before dawn I started proof-reading and changing the index (for the third time) of my (hopefully) soon to be published book on Common Birds of Lebanon. But after two close fly -pasts of the Black Woodpecker and incresed activity at the feeders it became clear that I was not going to progress as I'd hoped. Then at about 9 o'clock, just after I'd been admiring the Yellowhammers, err, finishing an email, what's that on the wire behind the feeder, an odd-looking Chaffinch? No, a stonking male 37 Rock Bunting
a garden tick! Naturally, by the time I'd crept behind the chair to get to my camera without spooking the birds it had gone and despite being on guard/working hard for 5 hours since it hasn't reappeared.
Still I've snapped a group of some of our visitors, how many species can you see in the photo, garden listers?

Attachments

• Lunchtime in the Alps.jpg
    Lunchtime in the Alps.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 63
Wow, Richard!

I see six - if that's a House Sparrow in the back. But a big wow for the beefy feller in the centre!

Good luck on the book.

I've had a huge set-back on my book's progress - lost all the work from a defunct laptop - AND the back-up memory stick. That's years of work lost to me. Already tried recovering the data and nothing found except heiroglyphs.

Wow, Richard!

I see six - if that's a House Sparrow in the back. But a big wow for the beefy feller in the centre!

Good luck on the book.

I've had a huge set-back on my book's progress - lost all the work from a defunct laptop - AND the back-up memory stick. That's years of work lost to me. Already tried recovering the data and nothing found except heiroglyphs.

That's awful news H2, I hope you find a way to recover it, I won't make any suggestions about contacting Russian 'experts'.
Six species in the picture indeed, but I've only seen one House Sparrow here all year so the blurred one at the back is something else....
The big bruiser just came round to the other side of the house, it's all go!

Attachments

• IMG_9223.JPG
    IMG_9223.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back