• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria - Black Kite? (1 Viewer)

Scridifer

Used Registrar
Supporter
Bulgaria
A real long shot given the standard of the photo but can anyone get a sense of 'jizz' about this bird? Very dark underneath with practically no distinguishing markings bar the yellow legs. Very well-fingered hands not necessarily apparent in the photo! If I had seen the tail folded and forked I'd be certain for Black Kite but of course it didn't oblige.

Thanks as always,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_9744thumb.jpg
    IMG_9744thumb.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 203
my guess is Msrsh Harrier

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your suggestion! Pretty certain it wasn't a Marsh harrier, I see those a lot here. It was much darker than any female I've ever seen and there were no traces of gold at all! As I say it was a long shot, not to worry!

Chris

I'm getting an impression of either Buteo or Marsh Harrier (or Honey, but I'm presuming very unlikely at this time of year), but not Black Kite.

My first impression was Marsh Harrier, but as it's only one rather poor shot I looked again and now mean to recognise a pale inner hand which a Marsh Harrier wouldn't have. The shape of the wings and the light tail look OK for Black Kite. The tail can look convex when fanned, compare here (scroll down to the last image):
http://birds-in-flight.net/?p=6343

Many thanks to all for your comments - much appreciated and most interesting! As I say I'm almost certain it wasn't a Marsh harrier, that's the most common raptor I see here after common Buzzard (though not at this location, the wrong habitat for MH).
The location usually yields plenty of Common Buzzard and the odd Hen Harrier with the very occasional Gosdhawk. To my chagrin I glanced up, thought CB, and it took a little while for the cogs to whirr to realise it wasn't, in which time it had moved further away limiting photo ops.
I suspect something on migration - we are on the Via Pontica and H Buzzard isn't uncommon but as Steve suggests later on.
Another one for the unidentifieds but fun to speculate (I have seen Black Kite on migration here so I'm not looking for a 'tick')!

Thanks again,

Chris

too early for honey buzzard. maybe you didn't like it to be a marsh harrier because it wasn't in the right habitat and you usually see them close to the ground. to me it also looks best for marsh harrier.

Hi Jeff and Lou and many thanks for your input! We have had a multitude of Buzzards pass over on migration but as Lou says no HBs yet.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back