• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds South India (1 Viewer)

Alex S.

Hello,
I just returned from a trip to South India and I can't identify the birds on this pictures. The pictures are taken in Bandipur Tiger Reserve.
1) Which crane species: Common or Demoiselle? Both are quite far out of the winter range according the birds of india book (Grimmet et al)
2) Which vulture? Indian or Griffon?
Best regards,
Alex

Attachments

• Vulture crop.JPG
    Vulture crop.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 66
  • crane crop.JPG
    crane crop.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 64
And the vultures I think are Indian purely because I would not expect to see Griffons in the south.

Steve

Isn't the bill too small for a stork? Painted, Black and White Stork all have much longer, colorfull and more pointed bills. The only stork without a colorfull bill is a Wooly-necked stork but the pattern on the wings doesn't fit to a Woolly-necked Stork.

Alex

Isn't the bill too small for a stork? Painted, Black and White Stork all have much longer, colorfull and more pointed bills. The only stork without a colorfull bill is a Wooly-necked stork but the pattern on the wings doesn't fit to a Woolly-necked Stork.

Alex

Try Open-billed

A

It is definitely a stork - and you have not mentioned one other species that occurs in southern India.............

Steve

Edit - crossed with Andy !

I feel rather stupid not being able to distinguish a stork from a crane ;-)
Ok, but I agree with a Asian Openbill.
Both thanks for the answers.
Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back