• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Extremadura (1 Viewer)

Ring Ouzel in Las Villuercas

Not many recordings of Ring Ouzel in Extremadura, for our zone, Geopark Las Villuercas, the
first one. Not sure if it is the subspecies Turdus turquatus alpestris.
Other interesting species that daily frequent our hide environment:
Redwing, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Haw finch, Rock Bunting, Cirl Bunting,
and many warblers.
See photo by Liesbeth van Vliet of 'our' Ring Ouzel, taken today, Nov. 27.

henk

Attachments

• beflijster FB.jpg
    beflijster FB.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 70
Sound recording of Common Cranes in Extremadura

The sound experts Michèle Peron and Peter Caeldries travel through whole Europe to record the sound of Common Cranes in their environments. They stayed here for a week, for us from 'discover-extremadura.com' it was a special experience to guide them to the best places, because their demands differ strongly from the 'normal' birders.
We visited some sleeping spots (banks of reservoirs) and feeding areas (rice fields, corn fields and dehesas - woodland with Holm Oaks and Cork Oaks).

See photos.

henk

Attachments

• Cubilar1.jpg
    Cubilar1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Palazuela2.jpg
    Palazuela2.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 64
FIO2018 in Extremadura, Febr. 25-28

This year again a celebration of the international bird festival FIO (Feria Internacional de Turismo Ornitológico), Monfragüe N.P., Villareal de San Carlos.
Program is presented on www.fioextremadura.es, also a version in English.

Photo-contest: closing date for sending in pictures: Jan 15.

During the festival you can join free bus tours inside the N.P.
If you should like a private tour in and beyond the park or you
want to photograph Vultures and raptors from one of our exclusive hides
you are welcome at www.discover-extremadura.com and / or
www.extremadura-vogels.com.

greetings from snowy Extremadura,
henk

Hi I will be visiting Extremadura for a couple days at the end of this month with my Father and would really appreciate any up to date information that may help us locate some of our many target species. We intend to spend the first day around Monfrague with Spanish Imperal Eagle, Black Vulture and Black Wheatear being our main targets. All going well, the plan for our second day is to spend it around Monroy-Trujillo for Great and Little Bustard, both Sandgrouses and Black-shouldered Kite. The morning of the third day we will visit Arrocampo reservoir for the chance of seeing Purple Gallinule, Bluethroat and Penduline Tit before returning to Madrid for our evening flight, hopefully with the oppourtunity to stop at Calera plains on the way.

Again I would be very grateful if anyone has any specific site information or just habitat tips for locating any the above species. Please feel free to private message me if you would prefer.

Hi I will be visiting Extremadura for a couple days at the end of this month with my Father and would really appreciate any up to date information that may help us locate some of our many target species. We intend to spend the first day around Monfrague with Spanish Imperal Eagle, Black Vulture and Black Wheatear being our main targets. All going well, the plan for our second day is to spend it around Monroy-Trujillo for Great and Little Bustard, both Sandgrouses and Black-shouldered Kite. The morning of the third day we will visit Arrocampo reservoir for the chance of seeing Purple Gallinule, Bluethroat and Penduline Tit before returning to Madrid for our evening flight, hopefully with the oppourtunity to stop at Calera plains on the way.

Again I would be very grateful if anyone has any specific site information or just habitat tips for locating any the above species. Please feel free to private message me if you would prefer.

Do you have the Dave Gosney guide? We used it in April 2014 and the site directions were very detailed and reliable. Hopefully others on this forum will be able to provide more up to date details.

Mike

Do you have the Dave Gosney guide? We used it in April 2014 and the site directions were very detailed and reliable. Hopefully others on this forum will be able to provide more up to date details.

Mike

In Monfragüe N.P. you can find the Imperial at the look-out point 'Portilla de Tiétar', the Black Vulture can be seen at all the observatories. Black-shouldered Kite has better chance to be seen in the Arrocampo region.
For the steppe-birds offers the road between Santa Marta de Magasca and the A58 direction Cáceres good opportunities. Indeed the Dave Gosney guide gives very clear indications! good luck, Henk

In Monfragüe N.P. you can find the Imperial at the look-out point 'Portilla de Tiétar', the Black Vulture can be seen at all the observatories. Black-shouldered Kite has better chance to be seen in the Arrocampo region.
For the steppe-birds offers the road between Santa Marta de Magasca and the A58 direction Cáceres good opportunities. Indeed the Dave Gosney guide gives very clear indications! good luck, Henk

The first time I went there I stopped at a bend in the CV57 road 2.8km north of the junction with the A58. This was at the end of February 2008 when we stayed in Merida for three nights. I'd already seen most of the species I was looking for that day on other trips, but still needed Great Bustard, the target bird, which would be a lifer. I'd planned to spend the day at the 'Trujillo Triangle' looking for the steppe species and go on to Monfrague the next day.

As I got out of the car, a Great Spotted Cuckoo was scolding from a bush a few metres away. I got my binoculars out and started scanning. It didn't take long, only seconds in fact. As I scanned from left to right a Great Bustard flew into my view. I followed it right and then it landed amongst a group of about 50 others that were gathered on a low hillside a couple of fields away. As I admired them a flock of about 80 Little Bustards flew over them, coming towards me. They landed between me and the great bustards and immediately vanished into the vegetation. Before I'd got over this my wife said 'What's that flying towards us?' and I had to look away. A single black-bellied sandgrouse flew from the north-east and crossed over our heads about 50 feet up. We'd only been there 5 or 10 minutes and the great spotted cuckoo was still calling. Back in the car I drove slowly towards Santa Marta and after a few kilometres I was passing a bare field on the right when I spotted some golden plover. Further investigation gave us about 50 pin-tailed sandgrouse mixed in with them.

I drove on a bit more, stunned, and then I realised that we'd already seen everything that I was hoping for that day. I looked at my watch. It was still only 10.30, so we went on to Monfrague to do the next day's trip a day early. By tea-time we had Eagle Owl on the nest at Tietar, Black Vulture, Spanish Imperial Eagle, recently arrived Black Storks and Egyptian Vultures as well as all the other stuff that would be expected. Lesser Kestrels were flying around the rooftops in Trujillo on the way back.

There was the added bonus of thousands of Common Cranes making their way back north overhead at the start of their return migration and Azure winged Magpies all over.

A Magical day. One of my best birding days ever. I was back there in 2013 and I'm planning another week in Trijillo this spring, all being well.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have ordered the Dave Gosney book which sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Barred Wobbler - that sounds amazing. We had a similar experience in the South of France last January seeing all our target species with ease in 48 hours (Slender-billed Gull, Eagle Owl, Wallcreeper, Alpine Accentor, Citril Finch and Bonelli's Eagle), such that we were left with more time than we knew what to do with.

The list is a fair bit longer this time though...

Early Great Spotted Cuckoo in Extremadura

Great Spotted Cuckoo is an early bird, mostly arrives here the beginning of Febr, looking for Magpies preparing nests to put its own eggs in...
(to find Great Spotted Cuckoo, look for normal Magpies).
First sighting this year: Jan. 3, a client of us and me myself saw it Jan. 8, Alcollarín reservoir.

Photo by Rolf Then.

henk

Attachments

• kuifkoekkoek jan 2018.jpg
    kuifkoekkoek jan 2018.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 52
Rain

finally....after more than a half year with hardly any rain, we had this week 4 consecutive days with in total 200 mm (200 liters per sq meter) rain. Coming days more rain is predicted, yippee! In the in-between-clearances good birding opportunities:
our first Egyption Vulture on March 1st and Booted Eagle on March 2nd, last flocks of Cranes heading North, most of these birds have already migrated.

And we are very glad to see last weeks several Rock Buntings in front of our special hide for woodland birds (photo).

cheers! henk

Attachments

• 802big.jpg
    802big.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
HI, I am coming to Madrid in 2 weeks. We really want to see the mating display of the Bustards. I am from the United States. Is this similar to a Lek for grouse? Where you have to see this in the early morning hours? Also where are some good locations around Madrid or do we need to some out to the Extremadura area? Thanks for any and all help.

Rain (2)

it is now raining and snowing from mid Februari, with temps that hardly reach 5 degrees C. Warblers are late, but Booted Eagle, Snake Eagle, Egyptian Vulture, Bee-eaters and Rollers arrived in time.
Despite of the weather Belgium photographers we guided could count over 100 species last week.
Photo: Barn Swallow trying to catch insects just above water level.
Beautiful image by Rudi van Onderbergen.

Attachments

• 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 35
Against the rules

the German photographers Klaus Tamm and friend Harald, teached Liesbeth and me to avoid the rules in most books on nature photography and showed us how they work: not to use tripod, not to care about sharpness, use the maximum aperture of the lens, choose an object against the sun, always underexpose…..see Klaus impressive list of price winning photos on www.tamm-photography.com
Here both pro´s and our exam-work…(orchid by Liesbeth van Vliet, silhouette by me).

BTW, still raining and cold over here.

bye, henk

Attachments

• Klaus.jpg
    Klaus.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Harald_01b.jpg
    Harald_01b.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 22
  • excursie-met-Klaus-foto.jpg
    excursie-met-Klaus-foto.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 27
  • kuifleeuwerik_04b.jpg
    kuifleeuwerik_04b.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back