• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations please (1 Viewer)

shas

I am coming across to Durham in a couple of weeks and in between visiting relatives etc would like to do some birdwatching & photography. Last year went to Washington WWT and also Low Barns (altho' not much was showing at either venue) and did a day at Kielder. Am staying in the city centre (my usual "pub") so am central for most venues and driving is not an issue. The only real proviso is that it will need to be somewhere the ground is fairly level for walking as I am taking my 89 year old Dad with me who can get about very well but would struggle with any steep climbs or very uneven ground. Suggestions welcome please

Might be an idea to keep and eye on the Durham Birding thread to see what's around also the TBC web site sightings page that everyone can view. Durham Bird Club now has a sightings page as well but I think you need to be a member to view it.

Most local birders will be hanging around the coastal areas for the next few weeks as the autumn migration is just beginning. Good spots for close easy views on waders are Hartlepool Headland from the Heugh Pier into the harbour where apart from passing migrants to view the rocks in the harbour hold good numbers of waders. Likewise at Newburn Bridge on the south side of Hartlepool where there's a few Med Gull giving close views and 100-200 waders over high tide just a few yards away. A couple of miles to the south of there is Seaton Common on the south side of Seaton Carew. There's a pair of Short-eared Owl there one of which is usually along the fence line right beside the road to North Gare car park - also Kestrel and Heron plus Teal, Little Egret and Heron in the ponds by the fence. The walk out to North Gare is flat around 1/2 mile. Bird life can be hit and miss on the sea but usually there's at least a few waders around. Just a few hundred yarsd south of there is Zinc Works Road which is often worth a drive down as many birds sit along the fence or on the Common close by. North Gare and Zinc Works Road are where I do much of my photogrpahy - so it's easy ;)

Inland sites are a little quiet around now. Rainton Meadows run by Durham Wildlfie Trust is about the only other place that Springs to mind for easy access/walking as it's pretty flat. Several ponds attract waders and it can get some good birds though Low Barns is a prettier place to view and wander around.

Copwen Bewley Woodland Park in Billingham is easy walking as well but struggling for birds at present as most areas are between summer and the onset of winter.

Another good coastal area for birds and easy flat cliff top access is around Whitburn/Marsden/South Shields. In and around South Tyneside thread by Seggs shows what's around and is well illustrated with photos showing what sort of views you can get.

Ian thank you so much for responding - lots of useful information and links to read. Inland sites are quiet around here too, its that "inbetween" time of year. Came across to Durham about the same time last year and Washington WWT and Low Barns were extremely quiet, although the small bird hide at the WWT was busy and was much better than the equivalent hide we have at Martin Mere (a better viewing hide, more feeders and variety of feeders, much better light and a good range of birds [& mamals]).

The coast this time sounds worth a visit and the info and links certainly will give us a very good start. Hope to get to see "your owls" as well - not sure about the easy photography though ........ we'll wait and see .......

I am driving across on Sun 14th Sept and back home the following Sat 20th so keep fingers crossed for some decent weather - at least some dry weather.

If you think of anywhere else worth a visit please let me know.

If you're in Durham at all whilst we're there I'll buy you a pint at the Queen Vic.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back