• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Tech comes to binoculars (1 Viewer)

Some of the geek comments miss the point: this is a LPI (low probablity of intercept) system that can be used at short range and with much higher data rates than radio systems with a lower chance of detection.

I rather suspect they use an IR laser too. Not going to use a visible one now are we ;)

And of course they're going to be encrypted on the battlefield. Everything is today.

They quote 1.6miles (2.5km) which seems like a typical military use distance. IIRC military 7x50 spec calls for IDing a man at 3000m - that's about a 2 arc minute target (about 15 "pixels" of resolution tall).

On a more bird-related topic ... it makes one wonder if one could make a small IR signaling bird tag. But then again colored bands work quite well over line of sight distances with a spotter or a bin though a strobe might give quicker automated ID ;)

Not cheap I suspect.

But unless the white-tails can intercept, DF, and jam FRS radios I don't think you'll see a lot of hunters using them ;)

Plus they would probably be illegal for that particular application as many states have laws against using certain electronic devices in an effort to take game animals. ;)

It shouldn't be an issue for birding and might actually be helpful...at least the communications part.

"Hey Ted, I have found the Ivory Billed Woodpecker over here. I will send you the pictures through my binocular...."

:)

Just think of the possibilities of being able to insert a chip containing your favorite field guide. That way you could double check the ID before sending the image to your friend's binocular. Or the ultimate possibility of downloading the entire birding trip from your binocular onto your desktop.

Kevin, hunters seem to have this thing for laser range finders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back