• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (4 Viewers)

I headed for lintrathen/backwater dam this afternoon looking for some new birds for my list,i had 3 in mind,great crested grebe/sand martin and maybe black grouse,i got 2 out the 3,i only visited the new hide at lintrathen(this was closed for a while)2 great crested grebes seen right away, not much else about,goldeneye/cormorant/common gull/male reedbunting,i heard a nearby chiffchaff calling and went looking for it,i eventually found it,at backwater I parked at the start of the dam and got out my car and went into the boot,i heard a commotion from above and looked up to see a low flying osprey being harassed by a noisy common gull,by the time I got my camera both were high over the water,there must have been a recent mass hatching of flies here they were everywhere,i seen 10 black grouse at the back of the dam,5 males and 5 females,3 of the females were in flight the other 2 were in the trees,(might have been 2 of the flying 3)2 ravens were flying above the hill at quite a distance from each other calling loudly, on my way back 3 were present 2 of them sticking very closely together,there was also a mountain hare here with his winter coat almost gone,3 brown hares also seen ,meadow pipits were seen all along the walk and a flock of approx. 60 were seen just before you reach the car park at the back,i noticed a single bird flying into the trees in the field at the furthest car park but couldn't see it,i took random pics of the tree tops and checked them on my computer,2 female crossbills another new bird for my year list :t:

birds seen all from the road

osprey/raven/black grouse/skylark/buzzard/kestrel/lapwing/common gull/meadow pipit/oystercatcher/chaffinch/carrion crow/curlew/pied wagtail/crossbill

Attachments

• gc grebe.JPG
    gc grebe.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 71
  • black grouse.JPG
    black grouse.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 95
  • meadow pipt.JPG
    meadow pipt.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 62
  • oystercatchers.JPG
    oystercatchers.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 77
  • crossbills.JPG
    crossbills.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
1 female wheatear on the sidlaws today, although there is plenty of suitable habitat up here they seldom show up,the last pair I saw up here was about 8 years ago, plenty of calling willow warblers at the bottom of the hills but no chats about, 2 ravens seen

Attachments

• whetear.JPG
    whetear.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 77
  • whetear2.JPG
    whetear2.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 75
This may seem odd to some of you, but I was woken to the sound of a Chiffchaff singing this morning - the first time I've heard one in the middle of town.

Twice I've heard one along the river - the first one a couple of years ago, the second one just last Saturday 2 years to the day of my first one there.

Loch Leven RSPB centre & Letham Pools - 26 Apr

Glossy ibis seen from the centre and hides today, and a pair of little ringed plovers showed well from one of the hides too.

Also, loads of tufties, greylags, lapwings, a pochard, at least 14 greylay goslings seen and crested grebes on the loch.

Letham pools
2 ringed plovers seen and a single godwit. Plenty of tufties, coots, gadwall, a few redshank too.

back water dam

1 calling cuckoo /3 common sandpipers/ 2 siskins (all first of the year for me)2 ravens/black grouse/red grouse/wheatear /willow warblers/pied wagtails/common gulls/swallows/curlew/meadow pipit/oystercatcher/mistle thrush/wren/chaffinch/and one very dark coloured dunnock

Attachments

• black grouse.JPG
    black grouse.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 82
  • common sandpiper.JPG
    common sandpiper.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 67
  • mistle thrush.JPG
    mistle thrush.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 66
  • wheatear.JPG
    wheatear.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 57
  • willow warbler.jpg
    willow warbler.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 91
Angus glen - Wed 14 May (9am - 3pm)

Woodcock, loads of song & mistle thrushes, lapwing (+ 3 chicks), oystercatchers, redstarts, ring ouzels, wheatear, meadow pipits, willow warblers, blue/great/coal tits, robins, blackbirds, ospreys, buzzard, kestrel, common sandpipers, pied wagtails, sand martins, swallows, red legged partridges, pheasants, woodpigeon, jackdaws, crows, herring gulls, black headed gulls, greenfinch and possibly 3 twite (still need to check the photos).

Trottick Ponds Dundee - Saturday 8th June - Various birds spotted, highlights included a heron landing which scared a Kingfisher which then flew under a bridge we were standing on. Dippers and several Grey Wagtails on the Dighty.

Great, Coal and Blue Tits. Yellowhammer, Chiffchaff, robin, malalrds, moorhen and a few others.

Angus Glens - Sunday 9th June - Glen Clova then Glen Doll.

Golden Eagles (2), Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon, Twite, Common Sandpiper and various others.
On bus back to Kirriemuir saw Red Grouse and Red-legged Partridge.

First time up that neck of the woods but a few new sightings for me and my son and enjoyed it. Highlight was a Golden Eagle getting mobbed by a Buzzard.

Has anyone been to Morton Lochs or Tentsmuir lately? Is the minor road leading to the car park at Morton still as bad as it has been? Might be going there on Saturday and just wanted to know what state the road's in. Thanks.

Hi,
I was their on Sat, the road is horrendous, the pot holes have even got pot holes, (would expect it to get repaired shortly as they usually do it around this time of year) only repair it twice, would not advise if you value your car, seems to me to be getting a bit neglected at Morton with Railway Loch getting overgrown and going down. Nothing seen on it top Loch just the usual.
Plenty of orchids going down towards Railway Hide and that is why it,s not strimmed, and dog owners still not picking up.

Last edited:
Just to add, Tentsmuir is fine,went their on Saturday with bike, down to Ice House and in to beech, lots of Silverweed, Heath Speedwell etc on heath, about 100 seals on sand banks before tide shifted them off

i had a walkabout on the sidlaws on Monday,i was interested to see if I could find any stonechats,i couldn't find a single bird last year,i did find one pair,the parents were kept very busy collecting food,a pair of kestrels have also fledged young here,(the kestrels are a bit of a hit or miss when it comes to fledging young here)other birds seen
redpoll/goldcrest/willow warbler/chiffchaff/raven/buzzard/pied wagtail/meadow pipits/robin/carrion crow /whitethroats/linnets, 1 common lizard and 1 roe deer also seen

Attachments

• stonechat.jpg
    stonechat.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 76
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 73
  • willow warbler.jpg
    willow warbler.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 60
piper dam, 1 pair of great crested grebes with 2 youngsters,(cant recall great crested grebes being reported here)a female tufted duck was sleeping on the open water with 8 fluffy chicks next to her,very risky,the 5 Canada geese goslings are now looking similar the their parents,(this might be the first recorded breeding pair in our area)other birds seen,1 common sandpiper/coots/little grebes/mutes/(no cygnets)swallows/pied wagtail/reed buntings/yellowhammers/linnets

Attachments

• great crsted grebe.JPG
    great crsted grebe.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 78
  • canada geese.JPG
    canada geese.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 80
  • mallard2.JPG
    mallard2.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 63
  • tufted duck.JPG
    tufted duck.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 75
1 med gull in breeding plumage resting at the Arbroath esplanade in the rain today at 2.30,this is the second day it has been here,nice bird,i went looking for the ring necked duck at murton (second attempt) I thought I seen it but pics turned out to show a tuftie, maybe third time lucky

Attachments

• md1.JPG
    md1.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 57
  • md2.JPG
    md2.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 71
1 tawny owl flying over south road in Dundee at 2.30 am Monday,i also heard one calling loudly on thurs at midnight in the trees at the side of the old levis building

I spent a few hours looking for little gulls at Arbroath on Monday,they are being reported daily here, I couldn't find a single bird ,lots of juv kittiwakes about,a good number of noisy sandwich terns were resting on the rocks with a smaller number of arctic terns,3 turnstones were feeding here with some of their summer plumage still showing,highlight was a perched peregrine on the cliffs (first peregrine of the year for me)in the last ten days I have seen 2 barn owls,the first one flew in front of my car giving an excellent view on the road between the tay bridge and tayport,the second was on the carlogie road at carnoustie,at tayport pond there has been a lot of landscaping, the east side of the pond is in a totally wild state,im not sure if this was part of the plan or just neglect,a bonus is that a pair of little grebes have moved in which surprised me ,at piper dam the great crested grebe juvs are now large and feeding away from the parents,2 pairs of little grebes also have youngsters,the Canada geese numbers are building up and I counted 38,pied wagtails /tufted ducks and coots all with youngsters were also seen along with swallows /bh gulls/linnets/oystercatchers and mute swans,sand martins were the most numerous bird here,a passing flock were enjoying the insects just to the right of the function suite

Attachments

• peregrine.jpg
    peregrine.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 69
  • heron.JPG
    heron.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 39
  • gc grebe.JPG
    gc grebe.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 54
  • turnstone.JPG
    turnstone.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 36
  • terns.JPG
    terns.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 52
A lovely couple of days you've had Kawwauser..... and some great pictures to show for it too. Thanks.

Crombie park
3 spotted flycatchers (first of the year for me)family groups of both siskins and bullfinches, willow warblers,1 raven (looked like a juvenile)little grebes,coots,pied wagtail,heron,swallow,robins,mutes,lots of butterfly's about today at the west side of the loch,most were peacocks with quite a few red admirals,1 small copper was chasing the larger butterfly's about, 1 fritillary and several green veined butterflies were also seen, comma butterflies were reported here last week and was the reason of my visit none found unfortunately ,11 little grebes on the north pond at monikie

Attachments

• spotted flycatcher.JPG
    spotted flycatcher.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 56
  • spotted flycatcher2.JPG
    spotted flycatcher2.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 46
  • coots.JPG
    coots.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 39
  • coots2.JPG
    coots2.JPG