• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X42 Slc hd (1 Viewer)

AJB123

Hi, what would be a fair price to pay for Swarovski 8x42 slc hd bins?
I have seen a pair for sale and must admit i'm tempted to buy but want to make sure the price is ok, they appear to be in very good condition with all the extras.
Thank you in advance of any input.

Last edited:
Did you get their SN# so you can tell how old they are?

Add 30 to the 1st 2 numbers of the SN to get the year they were made.

Bob

Let me put it this way, since I use an 8x42 SLC-HD routinely, and have evaluated the newer SLC. I would be willing to pay as much as 25-30% more for a used SLC-HD than a used SLC in equal condition, notwithstanding the more recent manufacturing date of the latter. If Swarovski offers the same generous warranty support in your country as it does in mine, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Ed

8x42 slc hd

Sorry no i didn't get the serial number but i have noticed these have black hinges as opposed to green ones. Hope this helps in finding a rough value.
Regards Tony

Now have serial number; C814840478 so y/o/m 2011?

Last edited:
Sorry no i didn't get the serial number but i have noticed these have black hinges as opposed to green ones. Hope this helps in finding a rough value.
Regards Tony

Now have serial number; C814840478 so y/o/m 2011?

Yes. Made in 2011.

Bob

Thanks guys but i've just been informed they are sold. Regards

ED: You said in your reply above ...." have evaluated the newer SLC. I would be willing to pay as much as 25-30% more for a used SLC-HD than a used SLC in equal condition". It would be great if you could mention what it is about the prior SLC HD that you prefer over the current SLC WB that would motivate you to pay a premium. My preference is the closer focus and more traditional Swarovski styling of the prior SLC HD. Are there some other features I missed?

Bob: I am curious as to why you brought up the serial number. Was there some sort of production change within the model production run of the SLC HD?

AJB123: Sorry to here you missed out. Hopefully another one will show up soon. With that in mind here is my take on the used pricing for the 8X42 Swaro SLC HD. I believe that is the model you are looking to buy. My pricing comments are based on the US market and may vary from the market price in your county.

There is an 8X42 SLC HD listed on eBay right now for $1,750. It appears to be like new with the box and everything included. In my opinion, it is overpriced and will be difficult to sell without a price drop. That is the same price as a new current model. I suspect the seller thinks his prior unit is the better choice compared to the current model and justifies the same price. However the reality is that it is a discontinued model and it is used and many potential buyers will think it should be priced lower than a new current unit. The seller may also be thinking that model sold new between $2,000 and about $2,130 so his price does show depreciation from what was new. I can see the logic in the price and I am with Ed in finding the prior model more desirable, but I think the market has been ruling otherwise when it comes to the selling price of a used SLC-HD.

If someone wanted to buy one right now for a trip then paying that price would not be unreasonable because it is in my opinion a superior model to the current version at the same price and it is at a nice discount from the original price. However it is above what I see as the current market value.

I have been mentally tracking the 8X42 SLC HD for a couple of years and I would say the going price for a near new unit with the box, papers and all accessories has been in the area of $1,400 - $1450. I have seen some as low as $1,200 and some around $1,500. Established retailers are usually selling used between $1,400 and $1,500. (Some of the retailer listings do not say if the box and all accessories are included.) My goal was to get one under $1,400 and recently found one near new with the works near $1,200. The key to getting a lower price is to be willing to wait it out. In my case it was over a year.

The price may be trending downward a little bit recently. Just speculating, but this may be due to some of the closeout pricing on the pre Profield SV EL models. That is considered the premier line for Swaro so buyers seeing such low prices on the EL line expect some drop in the other lines. Most of the closeout deals are gone so I expect used EL prices to start going back up and that may influence a small increase in the other models.

History: Many of the members here on the Forum refer to the current model as the Swarovski SLC WB and the prior model as the Swarovski SLC HD. Actually, I think Swarovski called the prior model SLC WB HD, but then dropped the HD part of the name in the current model. Although they do not use the HD in the name, the new model still has the same HD glass as the prior model.

The current SLC WB is easy to recognize by the armoring. It basically covers the whole binocular and is more of a drab green color compared to the traditional Swaro green. The prior SLC HD version has black metal showing on the hinge and the inner part of the barrels and the color of the armor is the traditional Swaro green. Some, including me, think the prior model is nicer looking and the new version has a more plastic cheaper look.

There is some disagreement if there are optical differences. A couple of reps have indicated to me that there are some very minor changes to accommodate the mechanical changes, but the final optical result is the same. There was a post a while back where some members thought there was a slight optical improvement in the current model, but not everyone agreed. I concluded if there was a difference, it was insignificant and I would much rather have the closer focus and traditional armor.

The current model was announced during the summer of 2013 and some started shipping the fall of 2013. That indicates to me that there is some overlap in serial number year between the two versions for 2013.

I could be off on this but I believe the SLC-HD came out the second half of 2010 and it replaced the SLC Neu. The big changes were the body styling and a noticeable upgrade to HD glass and better coatings.

Just out of curiosity, what was the price of the unit you were considering?

Last edited:
8x42 slc hd

Hi Bruce, first of all thank you for taking the time to give me your views on these particular binoculars, i am gutted they have sold but gratefull for your input. I must admit i am new to these 'top end' bins and that's why i decided to research them first, in taking time to do so i missed out, oh well never mind.
The asking price (complete in box) was £800
Thanks again Bruce. Regards Tony:t:

Bruce,

I think you've summarized it quite nicely. My preference for the 8x42 SLC-HD is much like yours, but the buying public is unlikely to purchase a discontinued model for the same price, much less 25-30% more. Nonetheless, for those willing to stray from the beaten path, they're a real bargain.

Ed

Last edited:
Bruce,

Primarily, I am curious as to when the 8x42 SLC HD appeared on the market.

I knew that the current 8x42 SLC new WB recently replaced the 8x42 SLC HD but I never was able to determine when the 8x42 SLC HD was first made. OPs particular 8x42 SLC HD was made in 2011. Allbinos has listed under Swarovski Binoculars both the 8x42 SLC WB and the 8x42 SLC HD and gives their specs but they have not reviewed either of them.

And I note that the users manual that came with my 7x42 (neu) SLC B (which was made in 2006) also gives the technical details for the following SLCs: 8x30WB; 7x42B; 10x42WB; 7x50B; 10x50 WB; 8x56B and 15x56WB but there is no 8x42 of any kind listed.

It looks like it appeared sometime between 2006 and 2011.

Bob

PS: I removed my comments about the 10x42 SLC binoculars as not pertinent to the discussion.

PPS: Bruce, I think you pretty well got it. The 8x42 SLC HD probably came out in 2010 and lasted until 2013. I don't think that there ever was an 8x42 SLC neu.

Last edited:
Bob,

I think you're right. My 8x42 SLC HD was made in 2010, and, more importantly, the instruction book was printed in March, 2010. Since they wouldn't distribute a new model of binoculars without an instruction book, it's reasonable to conclude that soon after 3/2010 was the magic start date.

Although there never was an 8x42 SLC neu, there was a 10x42 SLC-HD that improved on the 10x42 SLC neu. It was also later 'simplified' to the current 10x42 SLC.

Ed

Last edited:
AJB123 .... Thanks for the reply and the pricing info. That would have been a very good price here in the US. Now you are ready to move when the next deal comes up!

It sounds like you are strongly considering a top end 8X42 classic design (non flat field). The Swaro SLC HD is one of my favorites in that category. One other to consider is the Zeiss HT in the 8X42. It is also excellent. Both are very similar and are from two of the top optics companies. Each has the same field of view. Althouh similar, there are some differences. The HT is slightly brighter and if comparing current models, the HT has a closer focus. The SLC is smaller and less expensive. There is some difference in color balance so that may be the deciding factor in choosing one over the other.

My brother has the Zeiss 8X42 HT so I went with the SLC to get some variety and the price was right. We swap back and forth, so we each get the best of both.

ED .... Your prior posts on the SLC got me interested in that model. Thanks!

Bob .... It is my understanding that the 8X42 SLC HD was the replacement for the 7X42 SLC Neu. I think Swaro came out with the EL SV during the first half of 2010 and then followed that up with the SLC HD during the second half of 2010. Most of what I know is about the current SLC WB and the prior HD. Maybe some one else can join in and tell us about the older generations of the SLC line.

Last edited:
AJB123 .... Thanks for the reply and the pricing info. That would have been a very good price here in the US. Now you are ready to move when the next deal comes up!

It sounds like you are strongly considering a top end 8X42 classic design (non flat field). The Swaro SLC HD is one of my favorites in that category. One other to consider is the Zeiss HT in the 8X42. It is also excellent. Both are very similar and are from two of the top optics companies. Each has the same field of view. Althouh similar, there are some differences. The HT is slightly brighter and if comparing current models, the HT has a closer focus. The SLC is smaller and less expensive. There is some difference in color balance so that may be the deciding factor in choosing one over the other.

My brother has the Zeiss 8X42 HT so I went with the SLC to get some variety and the price was right. We swap back and forth, so we each get the best of both.

ED .... Your prior posts on the SLC got me interested in that model. Thanks!

Bob .... It is my understanding that the 8X42 SLC HD was the replacement for the 7X42 SLC Neu. I think Swaro came out with the EL SV during the first half of 2010 and then followed that up with the SLC HD during the second half of 2010. Most of what I know is about the current SLC WB and the prior HD. Maybe some one else can join in and tell us about the older generations of the SLC line.

Thanks Bruce,

I recall reading somewhere that 2006 was the last year Swarovski made the 7x42 SLC B Neu. I don't know if that is accurate though.

Bob

Thanks, Jan.

It would have been nice if they had made a lighter weight version of it in 2010 when they made the new 8x42. It weighed 33.5 ounces and was a real brick!

Bob

That's more a perception of leightweight.
SLC 8x42 798 gram;
Trinovid 736 gram;
Ultravid 769 gram;
HT 837 gram
Kahles 756 gram.

Sorry no ounces

That's more a perception of leightweight.
SLC 8x42 798 gram;
Trinovid 736 gram;
Ultravid 769 gram;
HT 837 gram
Kahles 756 gram.

Sorry no ounces

Sorry, Jan I should have given the gram weights too.

The Swarovski manual reads 33.5 oz/950 g. as the weight of the SLC 7x42 B. and 30.7oz/870g. for the SLC 10x42 WB. They rest of them were bigger and quite a bit heavier except except for the SLC 8x30 WB which was 20.8oz/590g.

Bob

Sorry, Jan I should have given the gram weights too.

The Swarovski manual reads 33.5 oz/950 g. as the weight of the SLC 7x42 B. and 30.7oz/870g. for the SLC 10x42 WB. They rest of them were bigger and quite a bit heavier except except for the SLC 8x30 WB which was 20.8oz/590g.

Bob

OK, I thought you mentioned the current models SLC 42 (765 gram for the 10x) according to the 2016-17 manual and my home gram scale.

Reading your post a second time, I understand that you were talking about the 7x.
My bad.

Jan

Last edited:
8x42 slc hd

I must say after dealing with some right idiots on other sites i frequent involving my other interests, what a fantastically helpful bunch of people you are! Thanks for all your inputs and i feel proud to be a part of this extremely helpful membership. God bless you all! Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back