• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Mouse? N Germany (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Another Wood Mouse query for our rodent experts. Seen this month (02/2017). I initially believed this to be a Bank Vole (a species which I already have taken pictures of), so I was caught a bit off guard when it appeared to be a mouse. Apologies for the partially obscured target, this was the only usable picture I got. Image resized due to size restrictions.
Is it possible to tell whether it's a Wood Mouse or a Yellow-necked Mouse? The habitat was a hedgerow with trees bordering a lane in the countryside, with adjacent fields (and small patches of wood, and a lake etc.).

Andy

Attachments

• DSCF1341 - Kopie.JPG
    DSCF1341 - Kopie.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 77
But it is the correct genus, right? I figured that the habitat was more in line with Wood Mouse, but of course that's not an absolute criterion.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it is Apodemus sp. But I daren't be definite beyond that, though the "popeyed" appearance suggests Wood Mouse rather than Yellow-necked Mouse.

John

Another Wood Mouse query for our rodent experts. Seen this month (02/2017). I initially believed this to be a Bank Vole (a species which I already have taken pictures of), so I was caught a bit off guard when it appeared to be a mouse. Apologies for the partially obscured target, this was the only usable picture I got. Image resized due to size restrictions.
Is it possible to tell whether it's a Wood Mouse or a Yellow-necked Mouse? The habitat was a hedgerow with trees bordering a lane in the countryside, with adjacent fields (and small patches of wood, and a lake etc.).
Andy
When I met a Wood mouse (also in Germany), I read a bit on the topic. My mouse was cooperative, so the ID was easier. Both species are nocturnal, and as a rule if both species live in the same area, the Wood mouse tends to start being active over the day.

When I met a Wood mouse (also in Germany), I read a bit on the topic. My mouse was cooperative, so the ID was easier. Both species are nocturnal, and as a rule if both species live in the same area, the Wood mouse tends to start being active over the day.
Interesting, that seems to reinforce the Wood Mouse direction. Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back