• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruppell's Vulture (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

In the last minutes a Ruppell's Vulture has been sitting in front of a webcam situated at Portas de Rodão (near Vila Velha de Rodão) in the Griffon Vulture colony. It has been seen in the area now for 3 years or so and is in adult plumage. (The regular autumn birds we get at Sagres have all been imms. except one - 3 different birds in 2010)).

See the webcam here

Last edited:
In the last minutes a Ruppell's Vulture has been sitting in front of a webcam situated at Portas de Rodão (near Vila Velha de Rodão) in the Griffon Vulture colony. It has been seen in the area now for 3 years or so and is in adult plumage. (The regular autumn birds we get at Sagres have all been imms. except one - 3 different birds in 2010)).

See the webcam here

I think I've asked this question before: 'Where are all these immatures coming from?' There seem to be quite a few kicking about in Andalucia too.

I think I've asked this question before: 'Where are all these immatures coming from?' There seem to be quite a few kicking about in Andalucia too.

Maybe about 8000 imm Griffons from Iberia disperse south into N.Africa in late autumn and some numbers have been seen in Senegal (at least) where Ruppell's has been seen associating. Also Ruppell's has been seen arriving across the straits with returning Griffon's. It is believed therefore, that Ruppell's are completely wild and have been accepted as so by rarities committees in Iberia. The Ruppell's at Sagres the last few years are always associated with the large movements of Griffons and its thought that many of these Griffons are the on the way to N.Africa.

Maybe about 8000 imm Griffons from Iberia disperse south into N.Africa in late autumn and some numbers have been seen in Senegal (at least) where Ruppell's has been seen associating. Also Ruppell's has been seen arriving across the straits with returning Griffon's. It is believed therefore, that Ruppell's are completely wild and have been accepted as so by rarities committees in Iberia. The Ruppell's at Sagres the last few years are always associated with the large movements of Griffons and its thought that many of these Griffons are the on the way to N.Africa.

Thanks Simon, so probably in-migrants then. With an increasing numbers present, it may not be long (if it hasn't happened already) before breeding is proven.

There have been at least 2 cases of single Rüppell's Vultures occupying nesting ledges in Griffon colonies - 1 in Spain and 1 in Portugal. However, up to now I haven't heard of 2 birds together, maybe breeding will happen in the future. It would certainly be an occasion and I am sure that quite a few birders down here are waiting for it to happen.

Correction...in Portugal there have been two cases of Ruppell's sitting in Griffon colonies in the breeding season.

One of them was in the PN Tejo Internacional in 1998 and 1999 when a bird was paired with a Griffon and on one of those years an infertile egg was laid.

Later, was the bird which has returned to Portas de Rodão

Correction...in Portugal there have been two cases of Ruppell's sitting in Griffon colonies in the breeding season.

One of them was in the PN Tejo Internacional in 1998 and 1999 when a bird was paired with a Griffon and on one of those years an infertile egg was laid.

Later, was the bird which has returned to Portas de Rodão

Simon,
I've been following your various posts with much interest and it's making us want to return to Portugal! Not until 2012, though...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back