• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor - South Africa - 21 Oct 08 (1 Viewer)

David_H_UK

I assume that this is an immature bird, but unable to identify.

The first photo it was sitting on a branch, then flew to a tree and appeared to be very interested in something on the trunk.

Any views?

David

Attachments

• 101V8L0032.jpg
    101V8L0032.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 101V8L0042.jpg
    101V8L0042.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 111
Nice images!

Please upload at least one image to the gallery, not much in there with the juvenile, and an image in the gallery is likely to be seen by a lot more people than one in a thread like this.

Cheers
Niels

Cracking images David.
These long-legged raptors have highly mobile tarsal joints which allow them to probe holes, crevices & weaver nests for lizards, chicks,etc. Like Palm-nut Vultures they will also sometimes feed on Oil palm fruit.
They have an almost pathological interest in holes!!! ;)

Below is an image of another immature probing a hole (taken in West Africa):

Attachments

• African Harrier-Hawk (Polyboroides typus) immature 3.jpg
    African Harrier-Hawk (Polyboroides typus) immature 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 56
Hi Bob.

It´s one of the 'glossy starlings' but I can´t see wich one.
The glossy ones are tricky to identify because of their iridescent plumages, which varies with light and angel of the bird. Stunning birds!
JanJ

There are three starlings this colour in Kruger. I don't think its the Burchell's Starling as the tail is not long enough, which leaves the Greater Blue-eared Starling or the Cape Glossy Starling. Without seeing the eye, it's difficult to tell! Both of them have a bright yellow eye, but the Blue-eared has an elongate broad dark ear patch round the eye and the Cape does not. I think that the pic (not yours) your URL refers to labelled 'Cape Glossy Starling' is in fact a Greater Blue Eared Starling. Not only does it have that dark ear patch but the pattern of spots on the wing is more pronounced in the Greater Blue-eared Starling - shown beautifully in this pic.

Last edited:
There are three starlings this colour in Kruger. I don't think its the Burchell's Starling as the tail is not long enough, which leaves the Greater Blue-eared Starling or the Cape Glossy Starling. Without seeing the eye, it's difficult to tell! Both of them have a bright yellow eye, but the Blue-eared has an elongate broad dark ear patch round the eye and the Cape does not. I think that the pic (not yours) your URL refers to labelled 'Cape Glossy Starling' is in fact a Greater Blue Eared Starling. Not only does it have that dark ear patch but the pattern of spots on the wing is more pronounced in the Greater Blue-eared Starling - shown beautifully in this pic.

Here's a Kruger Park Greater Blue-eared Starling. You can clearly see the dark ear patch behind the eye to which Sal refers. Hope this helps.

Great pictures of the young African Harrier Hawk - well done, and thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• Greater Blue-eared Starling.jpg
    Greater Blue-eared Starling.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back