• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mt. Kinabalu in September (1 Viewer)

Papuan birder

- Lost in the Pacific -
Hello everyone,

I will be heading back home to Papua New Guinea for a copule of weeks later in the year, though I have planned to spend 3-4 days in Hong Kong and then about a week (7-8 days) in Sabah before I continue to New Guinea.

As my time in Sabah will be limited I have decided to try and focus most of my time on Mt. Kinabalu, a place which I have visited twice earlier. In 2004 I stayed at the Menggilan Hostel and found this place to be great, plenty of nice people and did some good birdwatching around the hostel.

My second visit was in 2006 and I stayed at the Kinabalu Pine Resort, had been recomended to stay there by a couple of friends. I may just have had bad luck but I found birdwatching to be completely useless in the grounds of the K. Pine Resort and the only birds I saw was domestic chickens and tree sparrows.

Both of my previous visits to Mt. Kinabalu has been in June, so I have no experiance how it is to birdwatch on Mt. Kinabalu in September. As in 2006 I would like to find a accomondation somewhere outside of the National Park and I would like to find a place which is close to the park, relatively cheap and which offer some good birdwatching, anyone which got any good advice about where to stay? is it easier or more difficult to find good accomondation in September?

Most grateful for any help.

The nearest place to stay is at Kinabalu Motel around RM 20 - RM 50 if I'm not mistaken and only about 100m from the Park entrance.

Species is common around the motel like inside the Park.

The nearest place to stay is at Kinabalu Motel around RM 20 - RM 50 if I'm not mistaken and only about 100m from the Park entrance.

Species is common around the motel like inside the Park.

Hello horukuru,

Many thanks for your help, I will defenitely have a look at the Kinabalu Motel and see if they have any spaces avaiable in September when I intend to visit Mt. Kinabalu for a few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back