• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weaver and Raptor - Jhb, South Africa (1 Viewer)

cossypha

I've just arrived at Johannesburg and I'm staying with my uncle before i goto Zimbabwe. The first 3 pics are of weavers, females or nonbreeding males (or both), but I can't decide whether they are Southern or Lesser Masked weavers. Going by my field guide I would say they are more Southern looking - Larger bill, dark eyes, pink legs. but the Southern is illustrated with a grey bill in my field guide, and seems alot less yellow too.
The last photo is of a raptor, flying over the house. I only just managed to get a photo. I noticed as it flew past that its legs were quite orange. My opinion is lizard buzzard, judging by the wings, but I cant see the head or tail well enough to be sure.

Everyones opinions are much appreciated
Thank you-

Attachments

• DSC_0475.JPG
    DSC_0475.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0583.JPG
    DSC_0583.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0586.JPG
    DSC_0586.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0567.JPG
    DSC_0567.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 75
The weavers are Southern Masked-Weaver, for the features you mentionned. I know in Sasol's Bird of Southern Africa, female is depicted with a grey bill...and it's a mistake because both female and non-breeding male show a dull pinkish bill.

The raptor looks good for Lizard Buzzard: underwing pattern ok, red feet ok, grey body with a paler vent ok, wing shape ok (vs Accipiter), pale tips to the rectrices ok...

Yes I agree.The Lesser Masked Weaver has a very pale eye. I think the raptor looks good for a Lizard Buzzard.

I was in Joburg in June and I saw many Southern Masked Weavers as well. There is quite a lot of variations (to my eyes at least) in the structure of the birds and this made me think initially that there were two species present. But no they were all SMW like yours ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back