• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fz38 for flight shots (1 Viewer)

Today while waiting for my lunch I thought why not try a few more flight shots. This photo shows a Royal Tern, several were parading back and forth. It is cropped some, but there were about 2200 pix on the long side before reducing no of pixels. I played around with the settings a little from one series of shots to the next, but with this bird (medium speed in flying past) I think I got the better results just using the smallest possible spot rather than the larger spot with H next to it (exif info seems to be indentical even though I did change from some shots to some others).

Cheers
Niels

This shot might have been slightly sharper, this is a central crop unedited.

Niels

Attachments

• P1100193 unedited c crop.jpg
    P1100193 unedited c crop.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 111
I just got the FZ35 two days ago and have been trying to figure it out. The ony fligh shots I even attempt are of larger birds. With the heron I was trying to follow the flight using sports mode in late afternoon but it blended in with the background trees and doesn't look sharp. Sports mode didn't work with the Osprey which I saw early in the morning. I photographed the osprey at full zoom with intelligent auto and thought it came out but it was a little too high up.

Attachments

• birds 009.jpg
    birds 009.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 94
  • birds 054.jpg
    birds 054.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I thought I had answered this one, but I will do so now:
your osprey shot looks rather good I would say. The heron shot might be a mixture of things, possibly also high iso?

For what it is worth, here are my standard settings; I use a FZ18, and they may or may not work for you.
Iso = isoMax400
Aperture priority ("A" on the wheel)
Lens wide open
AF set to minimum center area
metering set to minimum center area
NR set to minimum

Those are the most important things I guess.

Niels

Thanks-Yes-I must start using the other settings. I've basically only used the auto setting for the last few years.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back