• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Body vs Lens? (1 Viewer)

Hi there, I've got a Canon EOS 400D with a Canon 70-300mm IS lens for wildlife photos and I'm looking to upgrade in a few months. (Once the penny jar fills up.)

I've wanted to upgrade my lens to the 100-400mm L series for quite a while, but have recently been considering the merits of a new camera body instead. The 7D has been the first thought, but I think the 60D may be worth a punt as well.

What do people think? Is the old adage that putting most of your money into the lens still valid or does technology move so fast that getting the newer body is now just as important or more so?

I'm still favouring the lens, but what do people think?

Cheers.

What do you think you are lacking from your current set up?
Is it something that would be best cured by a new body or lens such as desire for more mp, slow burst speed or lack of focal length.

I'm in the older body and better lens camp, quite satisfied with my old 40D and would rather use any spare cash to buy a better collection of lenses.
Not to say though that I wouldn't like a 7D, but not got the readies for both

It is usually better to put the money toward better lenses than a new body. I think that you would find the extra reach and image quality of the 100-400 a real advantage. Is there some other reason for wanting a new body (e.g. Video)?

A point about the 7d your getting almost twice the MP so when it comes to cropping its like a free 1.4tc Taking that into account the balance between lens and camera closes with the lens you have now if its put on a 7d .
compared with the 100/400 on the 400d .
Rob.

IMO Upgrading to a 7D first will multiply any flaws in the lens. Upgrade your lens first would be my recommendation.
I was happy with my 400D & 100-400 for a couple of years, till I got greedy & wanted more.

Last edited:
In terms of the set-up I've got, the combination of the fairly slow non-USM focus mechanism combined with the 3fps of the 400D is a little limiting. The main thoughts I was having with regards to a new body were the extra burst speed and better performance at higher ISO.
The extra reach of the lens is an issue too.

Hi Marcus. Was at the RSPB offices in Inverness a few months ago when a load of Waxwings were there and borrowed the lens from someone who may have been you.

Donald

Unless your a pixel peeper or going to produce A2 prints I cant see that upgrading to a F/F body will improve your photography, upgrading to better glass will. OK so the body does now make a difference to the quality of images but a damm good lens is still worth its weight in gold.

I was in your position a while ago and I went for the glass myself (70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 + 2*TC so similar - at least in image quality terms at 400mm to the 100-400mm you're considering). The glass makes a massive different to the image quailty and to the responsiveness of the camera. Certainly the 7D's af beats the 400D, but put the wrong glass infront and the difference is not so great.

Get yourself a strong working series of lenses and then turn your eye to the camera bodies - you'll get the best out of them then and also, as you save for the 7D, still be able to use the glass to shoot - try as you might you can't get the 70-300mm to 400mm when you need it even if itis on a 70D ;).

Unless your a pixel peeper or going to produce A2 prints I cant see that upgrading to a F/F body will improve your photography,
I am not sure that the OP has mentioned a F/F body, he is considering the 7D and 60D both which are 1.6 croppers!
I do agree about sorting the lens out first though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back