• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60D or 7D? (1 Viewer)

Its well documented that the 7d requires a higher shutter speed than other crop cameras due to its high pixel count. Many new 7d owners shooting at 1/640 are dissapointed with their sharpness levels until they increase the shutter speed on all of their shots.

Documented by whom? Is there some sort of technical documentation verifying this? Maybe a white paper?

I'm not the God of photography but I get around to to a few photography websites on occasion and take a few shots now and then. This is the first I've heard of higher pixel density sensors requiring a higher shutter speed. The only issue I've seen discussed with higher density sensors is increased noise.

Now that I've thought about it, I believe early on with the advent of digital I believe this was discussed, but those concerned with it were "pixel peeping" and not evaluating the image at the resolution and file size they actually planned on using.

I shoot the 7d HANDHELD with a 400/4 and 1.4x converter. My images are only for projection, not for publishing so I can get by without everything being tack sharp. That being said, I get a lot better results with the 7d at lower shutter speeds (as low as 1/60s occasionally) than I did with the 30d. I can also crop the resulting file to a much greater degree.

To whomever is thinking of getting the 7d, don't let this "higher pixel density means a higher shutter speed" bilge bother you.

The 7d is a fantastic camera for bird photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back