Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 20:33   #51
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewalters View Post
Wow I'm finding this increasingly bizarre. I believe some people carry a camera but not a scope these days. There must be some point I'm missing but wtf????
I'm done for then - at the local level, I almost never carry a scope these days and fairly rarely take a camera anymore. Always do when birding overseas though.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 20:48   #52
Rotherbirder

Quote:
Wow I'm finding this increasingly bizarre. Of course there is an alternative to taking a picture - put the time in, pure and simple. If you choose to twitch then read up on the bird beforehand.
Spend as much time as you can on a local patch to ensure you're confident with regular species and read a field guide in any spare time.
When you do twitch watch the bird for as long as you can or at least until you are satisfied with your identification. Watching for an hour or two then sodding off uncertain but not bothered because you have a photo - well, that's not twitching or even birding as I did it or would ever want to. I believe some people carry a camera but not a scope these days. There must be some point I'm missing but wtf????
Dave
Precisely! Us 'old school' birders earned our credibility and reliability as observers by putting the time in; you can't learn behavioural characteristics, 'jizz' etc - all very important clues to a birds identity - from a photograph! Personally, I find the fusillade of camera shutters which accompanies every move of a rarity annoying and, of course the inevitable photographer who needs to get that little bit closer than everyone else, which is why I stick to constant effort 'patch' birding these days.

RB
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:02   #53
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
He's got a Marion! Not sure she would be too happy lugging that great lens about ...I suspect, and I admit it is pure conjecture, that she might just wrap it around John's neck :)
Also conjecture and happy to keep it that way, but I suspect her treatment of me would run more to insertion.....

John
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:36   #54
MTem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
Well, enough said on all of this, far too much disagreement. We all bird in our own way and that is good. I shall not bother seeking ID advice on this forum again, pity but I'm obviously not a real birder as far as several people are concerned.
No don't. One of the big pluses of this hobby is there are no set ways of doing things - lot's of folk list and lots (like me) don't - lots stick to notes and bins and perhaps feel they have little need of the assistance of others, some use cameras and sometimes seek the assurance of the ID forum.

Now't as queer as folk, and in my 50+ years birding that certainly applies to birders!

I'm sure there are at least as many birders that get on my t*ts, as I get on theirs, but as I'm in this for personal education, enjoyment and satisfaction it doesn't really matter. I try to be polite, put the bird/wildlife welfare above mine (or theirs) and help where I can - but honestly Rotherbirder if my shutter sound causes you distress you really have a bigger problem, mate. Something that taking notes is not going to resolve.

Like most things in life a thickish skin is required these days - especially in these somewhat anonymous internet communications.

Mick

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:51   #55
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post

Well, you could always get a donkey to carry all that extra equipment for you. Or a personal assistant...
I have one, my wife but don't tell her I said that!

I'm a birder, she's a photographer, doesn't carry bins or stress if she misses seeing something plus I get a great catalogue of birds seen on our trips, perfect marriage!!!

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 12th January 2017 at 11:35.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 22:15   #56
Alexjh1

Quote:
I believe some people carry a camera but not a scope these days. There must be some point I'm missing but wtf????
Dave
Well that describes me, and there are several reasons for it, but most notably that scopes are expensive bits of kit to buy, and particularly as someone who likes to travel light (as often going by public transport or on a bike which for various reasons I don't like the idea of having conspicuous expensive equipment) it's a major investment I currently don't feel comfortable making.

There are certainly times when I'm very grateful for a person there at the same time offering me a look through their scope giving me a better look at some distant bird or other, and it very much is a different experience watching through a scope than through binoculars and camera, but it's certainly not a fundamental necessity to go birding.

Probably 99.9% of birds I encounter can be viewed enough through binoculars or my bridge camera for me to confidently ID in the field, but the obvious flip side of that is that I have records of birds I only got brief views of or for whatever reason I wasn't able to look at properly I have a record of that someone can look at if necessarily that without the camera would have to be "written off".
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: