• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List 7.3 (1 Viewer)

You guys are amazing, I passed it on with due credit

A

Edit: 'Will be fixed', David Donsker pers com.

Last edited:
IOC Updates Diary Oct 21

Announce change to semiannual revision schedule. So no 7.4

ANNOUNCEMENT (Oct 21, 2017): NO 7.4! Effective today, we are shifting to a semiannual revision schedule. Our next release will be 8.1 in January 2018, followed by 8.2 in late July or early August 2018. A step towards improved alignment with the Clements/eBird world list is one of the motivations for this change. We will continue to post working revisions regularly on the Updates web pages, so please keep up the flow of comments and corrections. Thank you!

Improving alignment with Clements? I hope IOC just doesn't became another version of that checklist. The same thing happened to the NA herp checklist CNAH when it aligned with SSAR.

Improving alignment with Clements? I hope IOC just doesn't became another version of that checklist.

Why would you hope that?

While I'm all for vigorous taxonomic debate, I'm not sure I see the benefit of having all these competing “standardized” global checklists. (And I don't personally much care whether IOC becomes a version of Clements or Clements becomes version of IOC). It creates confusion and requires a lot of resources by the taxonomic committees, researchers, and birders. I personally spend a lot of time having to “translate” from one checklist to another in a host of contexts.

Last edited:
Why would you hope that?
I personally spend a lot of time having to “translate” from one checklist to another in a host of contexts.

Why Jim, just pick a list and stick with it?

I use the IOC and literally never, look at another list.

A

Why Jim, just pick a list and stick with it?

I use the IOC and literally never, look at another list.

I do stick with one list Andy. But unfortunately not all field guides, birdfinding books, trip reports, articles, checklists, and other birders are using the same list I do.

I do stick with one list Andy. But unfortunately not all field guides, birdfinding books, trip reports, articles, checklists, and other birders are using the same list I do.

Ahh, the ever 'evolving' field guide, what new field guide would be complete without a re-arranged order, mulitiplicity of splits and a plethora of confusing name changes!

A

Ahh, the ever 'evolving' field guide, what new field guide would be complete without a re-arranged order, mulitiplicity of splits and a plethora of confusing name changes!

A

That would still happen if there was only one taxonomic checklist, unless you discontinued any updates for it. And that doesn't even get into field guide authors who don't follow regional checklists but go it alone.

That would still happen if there was only one taxonomic checklist, unless you discontinued any updates for it. And that doesn't even get into field guide authors who don't follow regional checklists but go it alone.

Correct - but the problem is multiplied four-fold now - right from day 1 when the field guide is out - and field guides is not the only context to deal with in the present world.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back