• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D and trip abroad. (1 Viewer)

I want to take my Canon 40D with 100 - 400mm IS and a couple of other lense and gear abroad. I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW bag. Has anyone taken the Flipside on a plane as carry on luggage.

Steve

Airlines all have different standards. Budget airlines for example have much smaller carry-on sizes than real airlines. There is no answer to your question other than to check the measurements and weight restrictions with the airline you are flying with. Usually this will be somewhere on your online ticket, but their websites all show it too.

I want to take my Canon 40D with 100 - 400mm IS and a couple of other lense and gear abroad. I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW bag. Has anyone taken the Flipside on a plane as carry on luggage.

Steve

Yes, took mine to Majorca this spring. I think you will find the flipside 400 fits within most carry-on size limits. I flew with Easyjet.

The bag was loaded up with my 40D +100-400, Swaro 80mm scope with eyepiece removed, compact camera and digiscoping adapter, 8x32 bins etc.

Also took an Olympus DSLR & kit zoom as I remember-the bag just seemed to swallow it all up. It's amazing what you can squeeze into just the front pocket.

Check the weight limits just as much as the size limits. Luckily Easyjet had no weight limit, but worth being absolutely certain before travelling.

Steve

Last edited:
Easyjet have never given me any problems and I usually also take my scope, wide angle and macro in the bag along with the chargers, etc..

Never had a problem with 400 AW on any flights, although I did have it weighed by ryanair recently when it came in just a few grams short of their 10kg limit. The bag contained a 500 f4, a 17-40 a 40D body and my bins. On scheduled flights I push my luck with a bigger wheelie flight case which will also include a 400mm f4 or 100-400mm and my scope plus charger, spare batteries etc.
regards
Mike

Last edited:
Have added some 'luggage' comments to my blog. What i failed to add is what normally have in my hand baggage, namely Zeiss diascope 85mm with zoom, Zeiss 10x42s, Canon 50D with 400mm (5.6), laptop with 13.3 inch screen, ipod, large noise reduction headphones, notebook, book, water (after security of course!), small Canon ixus.

http://jameslidster.web-log.nl/

Cheers

James

This site is a useful guide, but always check with the airline.

http://www.dpsoftware.co.uk/airlines/

I've just been to Alaska and used Continental as they allow heavier handluggage than most. With careful packing i took a 500EF, 100-400, 24-105, 1Dmk3 & 580 flashgun in my Vertex 20 Camera bag as hand luggage. My Tripod was in my checked in case .

I also wore a fleece with deep pockets in case I had to reduce the weight of the bag. Try to make your bag "look" light when you carry it.

I had no problems, apart from a search in New York, but I was on a scheduled airline not a low cost carrier.

I always put camera and bins in hand luggage, the 100-400 I securely strap to the tripod legs and open tripod to jam it to fit tight in main luggage, I then pack clothing round as added protection. Worked ok thus far.

Saw Jonathon Scott at Canon Pro Solutions this week. I've always advocated wearing a vest with a lot of pockets when flying, but he takes it to the extreme. He has 2 pro bodies, a 16-35, 70-200 f/2.8, 24-104 and a couple of TCs in his pockets!! That leaves the hand luggage free for the 500 f/4.

Saw Jonathon Scott at Canon Pro Solutions this week. I've always advocated wearing a vest with a lot of pockets when flying, but he takes it to the extreme. He has 2 pro bodies, a 16-35, 70-200 f/2.8, 24-104 and a couple of TCs in his pockets!! That leaves the hand luggage free for the 500 f/4.

All the more power to him...I for one at least attempt to be somewhat comfortable when I travel. Talk about a rats nest....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back