• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semi-P Sandpiper? SW Scotland (1 Viewer)

Here's another 3 shots, the light was awful so a lot of my shots are blurry but thankfully got enough good ones (better than my commoner wader photos!).

Gavin

Attachments

• IMGP4182.JPG
    IMGP4182.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMGP4233.JPG
    IMGP4233.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMGP4245.JPG
    IMGP4245.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 228
Little stint first, then noting lack of tramlines think about red-necked stint, then see the palmations and think of western sand. Presuming off course size was clear from the outset. Stick with it Gavin, did you look for it today? though the shots you have should be good enough for ID. The only shot you have posted that looks like semi p for me is the middle shot of the last set where the bird is showing the mantle. Still not shouting SP to me though.
Dave

Having trawled images of (juv.rufous scapped and crowned Semi-pP's) I found several 'rufous' types on the web..the most rufous being the last image on the first line of...(wish I could cut and paste like Jane!)..indeed in Collins there is a direct reference made to juvs. looking partcularly so. (presumably this is a ''short lived affair'') before adult plumage is attained?...I'm surprised that we haven't had our 4 cents worth from across the pond...after all it's one of theirs over here!

I'm no peep expert by any means, but here in the USA if I saw this bird I'd first think Western. Although Semi-p and Western bill structure overlaps, this bird leans to the West in my mind.

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but this is a bird I photographed in Co Kerry a couple of years back - I think it's very similar. Despite a lack of anchors (and too distant to detect palmations) I thought at the time it was a semi-p, as it looked rather monochrome in the field. The photos however (rather poor, usual excuses of distance, poor light etc) makes it far more warm-toned and LS-like with a suggestion of split super, pale mantle 'V's and fairly solidly dark scaps.
Anyone care to venture an opinion on the i/d? I've put it down as an odd little stint but still not sure semi-p/ western can be ruled out.
cheers
James

Attachments

• semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville.jpg
    semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 163
  • semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville 2.JPG
    semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville 2.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 111
  • semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville 3.JPG
    semi-palmated sandpiper, Blennerville 3.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 145
I'd have put it down as a dull Little too James, perhaps incorrectly -it looks quite chunky.

Here is an illustration of lower scap patterns... except SemiPs can not have anchors and RN can look like Little..
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=292651&d=1289415924

Yes...a Little methinks on that one...

The strength of braces on juv Little Stint is quite variable as i have witnessed recently...some are strikingly well marked...others less so...presumably worn...:cat:

Re scaps....in link on post 28 the lower scaps look a better fit for Western on that bird...:smoke: Not saying it is a western...just a comment on scap pattern...etc

Lower scaps on Gavins bird look more akin to Little...all a tad confusing...!!

Just one more variable to add to the mix of peep ID...[as if we needed it]....;)

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Just to clutch at straws for a second, on the picture of the peep with the Plover, is that a photographic artefact, or is there a small amount of white feathering above the Plover's gape line?

Is it me, or are this bird's legs yellowish?

Also looking at other palmated SPs and Westerns, the palmation that you can see looks larger than typical. Weird

Your wish is my command. Here are a few.... current bird top right.

Its stopped raining, so I'm Leach's hunting again now.

Attachments

• palms.jpg
    palms.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 128
You are very kind Jane....B :)

Our bird in question does appear to have very large palmations indeed...[tho not sure how much variance there is]...!

Is it at all possible that the 'palmations' are in fact attached weed of some kind?...[i know that seems daft as the pic looks very convincing and all]...hhhmmm...could do with Killian to put us out of our misery i think...;)

ps...good luck with Petrels....me off to Rutty soon in the vain hope of a Long t Skua...[ha]...one can but hope...[and then be disappointed]...!

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back