• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax digiscoping adapter help requested! (1 Viewer)

Hello from California

I've been reading the messages on your site for a couple of days and, as a newbie, I am certain this is where to go for info. Nice job :clap: I've just purchased a new Pentax 65mm scope; and after trying it out, a 20-60mm Pentax zoom designed for the 80mm scope. I wear glasses and the extra eye relief was needed even though it cuts the effective magnification down to about 15-45mm (in addition, a company called OneCall had it for about $250!).

I also purchased through e-bay a Coolpix 990. So, a tripod, an adapter and a remote shutter release and I'm ready. Any ideas on an adapter?

Thanks to all of you for just being here.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I use the 20-60 on the 80 Scope and a Coolpix 4500. I couldn't find a commercially available adapter so I had one made by a small precision engineering company.

I took the scope, camera and a picture of what I wanted - he measured it up and worked out the thread to screw it onto the camera and then machined it out of aluminium. It is a smple push fit tube which having been specifically made to measure holds firm without retaining screws but isn't too tight. It is also the right length so that I can still access the zoom OK.

Took about a week and cost £60. You just need a small helpful company that likes a challenge and is prepared to do a one off item.

Hope this is helpful.

Nigel,

Thanks for the info. Hadn't planned on this part being so difficult. Guess I'll start looking for a company over here that might wish to do it. Would the company you worked with make another and send to the US?

Jeff

joevogelmann said:
Nigel,

Thanks for the info. Hadn't planned on this part being so difficult. Guess I'll start looking for a company over here that might wish to do it. Would the company you worked with make another and send to the US?

Jeff

Jeff

It was only a very small 2 man outfit so probably not really in their line but if you really get stuck I could talk to them. If you give me 48 hrs I will take some pics of my set up and post them here so you have something to work from.

I have an adapter for the Pentax PF80-ED 20-60x eyepiece to Coolpix 990/995/4500 made by Cheang Kum Seng, who lives in Malaysia. The good news is that it's excellently designed, comes with a stabilizer bar and cable release apparatus, and works well. The bad news is that it's expensive, about $200. In the world of digiscoping, Cheang is well-known for his fine adapters.

If you have any interest in what he might be able to do for you, his email address is

[email protected]

Nigel AND Doug,

I'm impressed! You guys are right on it. I've sent an e-mail to Mr. Cheang and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, I've found another Pentax zoom user who couldn't stop vignetting and changed to a William Optics 28mm eyepiece to solve it. Have you had any vignetting problems with your setup, Nigel?

Jeff

joevogelmann said:
Nigel AND Doug,

I'm impressed! You guys are right on it. I've sent an e-mail to Mr. Cheang and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, I've found another Pentax zoom user who couldn't stop vignetting and changed to a William Optics 28mm eyepiece to solve it. Have you had any vignetting problems with your setup, Nigel?

Jeff

With the Cheang/Coolpix/Pentax combo, there is vignetting at shorter focal lengths. You have to zoom the Coolpix out well past halfway to eliminate all of it. I do have the William Optics DCL-28, which actually is a 24mm. eyepiece, and it is somewhat less prone to vignetting. But it still vignettes at the wider Coolpix focal lengths.

So the advantage of the Pentax zoom is that it is a zoom and it gives you more flexibility in terms of magnification, and also that while using it it's a little easier to both "scope" and "digiscope." The William Optics eyepiece is inexpensive and performs well as a digiscoping optic for the money. If you are looking for the least expensive way to get into good-quality basic digiscoping, the WO is the way to go. It costs about $80 and mounts directly to your Coolpix's lens.

As soon as the eyepiece gets here I think I'll try to build my own adapter (after hearing the cost of Cheang's). If that fails I'll find someone to build one for me...or purchase the
William Optics DCL-28 for digiscoping and use the zoom for just plain scoping.

Here's an interesting bit of info: I e-mailed Pentax about which 1.25" eyepieces could be used on the Pentax 65 & 80 and the answer is..."Any 1.25" eyepiece may be used. However, because the eyepiece mounting socket is keyed for our zoom eyepiece, (it keeps the eypiece from turning when the zoom feature is used), 1.25" eyepieces with tubes longer than 1.125" may not set down into the mounting socket as deeply. They may still be used, however, because the range of the focuser is quite ample."

Jeff

I agree absolutely with Doug about vignetting but as the aim is to fill most of the frame with the bird a fair amount of zoom on the camera is usually required. Its not often you are too close.

As promised I have attached pics of my adapter. Building your own may be a good way to go but the one certainty about a single lump machined on a computer driven lathe is that true, plumb, straight, centered etc.

Attachments

• Pentax PF 80 Adapter.jpg
    Pentax PF 80 Adapter.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 450
  • CP4500 & Pentax Adapter.jpg
    CP4500 & Pentax Adapter.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 418
  • CP4500 & Pentax PF 80.jpg
    CP4500 & Pentax PF 80.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 544
Jeff

Finally these are also a couple of my recent digiscoping efforts for interest - I don't claim to be an expert.

The Thrush was about 15yds and was x20 on the eyepiece and F4.5 at aperture priority which is about x3 ish on the CP4500.

The Peregrine (which i got this morning) was at about 200yds and was aprox x35 on the eyepiece and F4.8 (almost x4) on the camera. This is about the max distance I have achieved anything worth keeping.

Neither phot has been digitally altered so you can see the raw product.

Wish you the best of luck with your efforts.

Attachments

• song thrush1.JPG
    song thrush1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Peregrine1.JPG
    Peregrine1.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 522
Very useful info, Nigel. What keeps the adapter from rotating with the weight of the camera...friction?

To someone who hasn't done ANY digiscoping yet, the thrush shot looks like pretty good raw material...I wonder what a little computer tweaking would do. Can't wait to get started with this.

Jeff

Jeff

Yes its just friction. Once it was initally measured and machined it fitted but was a bit tight so he took it down 1/1000th ish at a time until it was just right.

You will see on your eyepiece that the widest part of the eye-relief adjuster is rubberised. Its this that keeps it stable - but the camera can still be easily rotated to get it square if the tripod/scope isn't completely level.

If it ever gets loose I will simply get him to put a couple of screw threaded holes in the side to take a retaining grub screw - but 9 months on and no problems yet.

Jeff

I use the scopetronix WA18 with the scope tronix max power and directly screws into the CP4500 as my eyepiece for digiscoping with my pentax PF-65. I use my zoom eyepiece for eye viewing only. Only at the widest setting is there any indication of vignetting. One slight tough of telephoto and it's gone. I happy with using this eyepiece. For more details look under the pentax 65 thread.

Todd

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back