• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is avian taxonomy still dependent on ongoing specimen collection? (1 Viewer)

Thus, the experience collectors build of the avifauna of a locality and the populations of those birds is clearly inferior to that of the non-collecting birder who only visits briefly and expeditiously moves on.

The latter group tends to see their target species at Site X along roads, at lodges, and at sites that they read about on BirdForum or some other online report that had been posted by previous visiting birders (and of course, NONE of those sites would ever have been old collecting localities!).

Unless this is supposed to be a purely sarcastic reply to Lewis, defending the collecting of birds by attacking birders who do not collect is weak indeed and a disservice to the many ornithologists that are studying bird populations worldwide.

All of the qualities you mention - building the knowledge of the local avifauna, exploring terrain away from roads, producing long-term data, etc - are all quite possible without depleting the avifauna due to collecting.

Whether it is actually critical or not, collecting clearly aids the taxonomy, but I don't accept that conservation needs it ...good research will reveal the importance of an area, whether collecting occurs or not.

Further, as they carefully avoid mentioning the collection in their press release (whilst publicising the photographing), the guys responsible for the collection of the kingfisher also obviously see there is a negative.

I mean that Acadian Flycatcher looked like it was on its last legs, and it's hard to believe it made it through the night, yet lots of people - many of whom I presumed are opposed to collecting on bird welfare grounds - rejoiced at its arrival.

Point taken but purely for the record it seemed fine. Of course, during the foulest weather, it looked sodden and lethargic but if people had found a Robin at that point a studied it, they would have leapt to the same conclusions. For the last hour of daylight when it had dried out, it became more mobile and active, feeding normally by flycatching behaviour, etc, in the typical behaviour of a migrant before moving.

GMK - thanks for the links. I will have a read over the next couple of days.

All the best

Last edited:
Unless this is supposed to be a purely sarcastic reply to Lewis, defending the collecting of birds by attacking birders who do not collect is weak indeed and a disservice to the many ornithologists that are studying bird populations worldwide.

All of the qualities you mention - building the knowledge of the local avifauna, exploring terrain away from roads, producing long-term data, etc - are all quite possible without depleting the avifauna due to collecting.

Whether it is actually critical or not, collecting clearly aids the taxonomy, but I don't accept that conservation needs it ...good research will reveal the importance of an area, whether collecting occurs or not.

Further, as they carefully avoid mentioning the collection in their press release (whilst publicising the photographing), the guys responsible for the collection of the kingfisher also obviously see there is a negative.

You grasped my sarcasm then? Whew, I was worried! Far from attacking non-collecting birders, I guide them on tours! However, they often are not exactly the people who are best placed to criticize collectors because their experiences are, as I suggested, limited to what is already *known* rather than exploring unknown regions... something that is typical of collection-based expeditions. I'm sorry that you disagree (but I wonder how much first hand experience goes into the statement), but the reality of the situation is *most* such exploratory work is done with collecting as the goal, and much of it does, indeed have conservation application, aside from the obvious taxonomic one. I have seen too many people send their comments to the BirdLife forums on species status changes suggesting that because the famous roadside locality of a species is being mowed down by new colonists, that species' worldwide status should be elevated to a higher level of endangerment, when absolutely *no* efforts were made to explore more of that species' range and habitat! Go ahead and check Eye-ringed Thistletail, Pale-billed Antpitta, Lulu's Tody-Tyrant, or Long-whiskered Owlet, I'll wait...

The 'depletion of the avifauna' is a red herring I see you and others use a lot in your anti-collecting rhetoric, Mr. Stratford, and I challenge you to demonstrate that this is real. For the record, many famous birding localities in Peru (e.g., Unchog, Abra Patricia, Paty Trail, Abra Malaga, Sinsicap, Tumbes NP, Quebrada Upaquihua, Tarapoto tunnel, Allpahuayo-Mishana reserve, for starters) are, in fact, former collecting localities (LSU or otherwise), yet *all* are presently world-class birding sites that have not reported permanent depletion of their bird populations. Birds reproduce, as you may or may not know, and thus the local losses have been negligible to nothing. However, because of the attention received due to the collections made at these sites, conservation efforts are possible, and many birders have followed and enjoyed the birds.

Sure, the AMNH folks didn't make a big deal out of the collecting of the kingfisher, because it's obvious that many readers, out of ignorance, would act upon their knee-jerk reactions and overreact to it (exactly the way we've seen here on BirdForum, as it turns out). What is wrong with that? Shy of writing an entire second article defending scientific collecting, it seems that is the convenient (to use Alan's term) course to take to capture the excitement of the find and express it to readers. We are a lazy lot, you know...

Indeed, convenience is key in this situation. Inevitably with latte in hand, we museum collectors do find that repeated, expensive expeditions to previously visited localities are inconvenient.

You see, laziness (I believe that is what you meant by "convenience") is a prerequisite to any museum collector, since once we arrive at a collecting locality, we don't just see (sorry, I meant to say "murder") the highlights in an afternoon and then move on to the next site. Nope, in our sanguine way, we tend to set up a camp there and spend somewhere between a week and two months. Thus, the experience collectors build of the avifauna of a locality and the populations of those birds is clearly inferior to that of the non-collecting birder who only visits briefly and expeditiously moves on.

DLane,
After your helpful and constructive response to my post in one of the related threads I was disappointed to read this sarcastic and bitchy response here I must say.

Despite the fact that I was clearly ignorant and naive to believe the practice of collecting specimens belonged to a past age, I have learnt a lot about why some feel it is a practice that should continue. Having specimens clearly does make your task, and those of your fellow researchers easier - indeed perhaps possible in some aspects. I venture that that is not the critical point here though. Nor is the issue you felt the need to be sarcastic about - who contributes more, the museum researcher or the field ornithologist.

It is about whether the killing of birds (rare, endangered, vagrant or otherwise) solely for the purpose of putting them in drawers for researchers to study is:

a) the ONLY way (not the only way doing things the way we do now) the information they carry can be captured
b) whether any marginal information from the skin vs. photos, videos, sample, measurements merits the death of the individual, especially in small vulnerable populations (Chatham Island Robin etc)
c) lastly and critically, to me at least, whether it brings the reputation/standing of ornithology into disrepute.

I admit to be still acquiring knowledge to form a personal view on a) & b), but on c) I feel I have sufficient perspective from my past career to at least make a judgement here in the UK.

And the answer is hell, yes! The RSPB, BTO and numerous wildlife trusts (and the BBC!) are trying desperately to get young people interested in and active in the study and welfare of birds. There is media uproar over the continuing illegal shooting and poisoning of raptors on grouse moors etc etc. GPS tracking of individual birds is bringing thousands if not millions of previously uninterested people into awareness of bird migration. To then reveal that 'birders' are killing rare birds themselves for museum collections .....!!! As has been commented I think the collectors themselves are aware of this as they neglect to mention the killing or collecting of the male kingfisher.

As I said in the other thread, I do not know the answer my friends, but I'm sure it is not the continued collecting of specimens. Find alternatives and stop it before you do far more harm than you might possibly do good to the birds themselves.

Mick

Last edited:
Indeed, convenience is key in this situation. Inevitably with latte in hand, we museum collectors do find that repeated, expensive expeditions to previously visited localities are inconvenient.

.. Oops, my venti latte is empty, better hop in my Escalade and drive to the nearest Starbucks to get it topped off.

An enjoyable riposte Dan, but I don't think I've ever said that the expeditions are "convenient". I can quite imagine the hard work that goes into both the planning and the undertaking of them. Crikey, I find it hard enough to arrange a competent driver to drive me around between road side collecting localities. [Mind you last time friends visited Abra Patricia, the tame Chestnut Antpitta had just been taken from the reserve for a museum specimen so they missed that one]

As Jos points out, almost all of the results of the collecting expeditions can be achieved without the collecting bit. The only thing you wouldn't have is the specimens.

cheers, alan

Sure, the AMNH folks didn't make a big deal out of the collecting of the kingfisher, because it's obvious that many readers, out of ignorance, would act upon their knee-jerk reactions and overreact to it (exactly the way we've seen here on BirdForum, as it turns out). What is wrong with that?
But the reaction did occur; and, sure, it was obvious that it would. And with the collecting having been initially hidden, your "many readers", in addition to perceiving collectors as being of another age, now perceive them as false and unworthy of trust.
Is that not wrong enough?
It was really hard to do worse in terms of communication.

Last edited:
A [Mind you last time friends visited Abra Patricia, the tame Chestnut Antpitta had just been taken from the reserve for a museum specimen so they missed that one]

Alan, I was told that the Chestnut Antpitta was likely a victim to the similarly tame Tayra that does the rounds. Was this just a smokescreen and I wonder if there is there any link to what Thomas Donegan suggested had happened in a Peruvian 'Protected Reserve' recently?

Published yesterday:
Marshall AS, Evenhuis NL. 2015. New species without dead bodies: a case for photo-based descriptions, illustrated by a striking new species of Marleyimyia Hesse (Diptera, Bombyliidae) from South Africa. ZooKeys 525: 117-127. [Here]

Published yesterday:
Marshall AS, Evenhuis NL. 2015. New species without dead bodies: a case for photo-based descriptions, illustrated by a striking new species of Marleyimyia Hesse (Diptera, Bombyliidae) from South Africa. ZooKeys 525: 117-127. [Here]

Laurent

Thanks for posting - the abstract being a beautifully articulate explanation of why the traditional specimen is not required, though it may be desirable, made all the more powerful by being written by supporters of traditional specimen collection.

cheers, alan

As Julian T points out, quoting Dawkins, this is just "whataboutery". Important in their own right, but a distraction from the point under debate.

A bit like Richard's cod and chips.

cheers, alan

Alan,

Personally, I'd rather quote Nigel Collar than Richard Dawkins, as the former unquestionably knows more about this subject than any of us.

More to the point, I was providing another poster with the means to explore the answer to the question that he had raised, namely a BirdLife perspective on collecting bird specimens in the modern age. If you bothered to read the paper I quoted from, rather than just responding to me, you'd find plenty therein that goes to the heart of what you wish to debate. Others reading this thread might find the opinion worth reading too, whether they eventually agree with the views expressed or not. But, surely it is the case that intelligent people will want to read well-considered expert opinions on the matter?

If you find the view of the world's leading expert on globally threatened birds, who to my knowledge has never (intentionally) killed a bird for a museum specimen, to be mere "whataboutery" (whatever that means, but I presume it's negative), that's your entitlement.

"Whataboutery" or not, if you and everyone else had given money to Greenpeace, the RSPB or BirdLife instead of (or in addition to) pontificating on this thread (I just did make another donation to Greenpeace, for the record), that would undoubtedly have done more good for conservation than engaging in a debate that will ultimately change nothing. However, it might impact on your ability to buy fossil fuels to put in your car (that kills how many insects, birds, etc.?) on the way to twitch the next vagrant that makes it past those ever-raised guns...

Alan,
"Whataboutery" or not, if you and everyone else had given money to Greenpeace, the RSPB or BirdLife instead of (or in addition to) pontificating on this thread (I just did make another donation to Greenpeace, for the record), that would undoubtedly have done more good for conservation than engaging in a debate that will ultimately change nothing. However, it might impact on your ability to buy fossil fuels to put in your car (that kills how many insects, birds, etc.?) on the way to twitch the next vagrant that makes it past those ever-raised guns...

'debate that will ultimately change nothing' .... hmmm ... if we extend that point are you suggesting debate is pointless? This thread and others on this topic have educated and informed me, and I thank ALL the participants in the debate. I also hope it will influence the collectors to consider the long/medium term risks of their activity to conservation as well as the stated benefits.

And I do give money to the RSPB (Life member) and Greenpeace (for 40 years) and the BTO and the WWF .... and I still think collecting has the potential to do huge damage to global conservation by 'bringing the game into disrepute'.

Mick

Alan,

Personally, I'd rather quote Nigel Collar than Richard Dawkins, as the former unquestionably knows more about this subject than any of us.

More to the point, I was providing another poster with the means to explore the answer to the question that he had raised, namely a BirdLife perspective on collecting bird specimens in the modern age. If you bothered to read the paper I quoted from, rather than just responding to me, you'd find plenty therein that goes to the heart of what you wish to debate. Others reading this thread might find the opinion worth reading too, whether they eventually agree with the views expressed or not. But, surely it is the case that intelligent people will want to read well-considered expert opinions on the matter?

If you find the view of the world's leading expert on globally threatened birds, who to my knowledge has never (intentionally) killed a bird for a museum specimen, to be mere "whataboutery" (whatever that means, but I presume it's negative), that's your entitlement.

Guy

This thread isn't about the pointlessness of twitching (it is entirely pointless of course), climate change (important indeed), or the importance of conservation (very). It's about the (need, or otherwise for) the continued collection of bird specimens and of course your links are most welcome. I would encourage everyone to read them...

..and then say..."But what about the Bugun Liocichla?" I notice that Nigel and Craig still included this species in the HBW Babbler account. I guess they concluded it really does exist, despite the absence of a body?

These threads may not change anything but why should that concern any of us?

cheers, alan

fossil fuels to put in your car (that kills how many insects, birds, etc.?) ...

As I was pottering about at the weekend, running over invertebrates, I wondered if RK could stretch his claim of "hypocrisy" this far, but...

cheers, a

Laurent

Thanks for posting - the abstract being a beautifully articulate explanation of why the traditional specimen is not required, though it may be desirable, made all the more powerful by being written by supporters of traditional specimen collection.

cheers, alan

I totally agree but ....... the paper is dealing with inverts where wing veination, pore distribution, extent / number of hairs on different segments, number of antennal segments and a myriad of other discriminants can be captured in a photo. What a photo would not show is the structure of the genitalia ( often the only known discriminant between closely related taxa ). Inverts can also be easily lightly anesthetised for short periods, without harm, allowing a far more complete photo set to be obtained. If we could be certain of achieving the same level of data in birds, bats, small rodents, shrews etc. no one would be more pleased than me but, at present , I'm afraid, in many cases, the collection of specimens will be necessary.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back