• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new from Zeiss - could be very interesting (1 Viewer)

Which Adapter

So which connector/adapter are you plumping for, Robert, to get final kit and pricing...surely not the SRB - Gritum for this level of scope/eyepiece and camera? Plus cable release - It surely has to be the Kowa TSN - DA4 to maintain the level of quality etc. Would be very interested if you could suggest where we might see some more up digiscoped images please using the 883. Thanks.

PYRTLE said:
So which connector/adapter are you plumping for, Robert, to get final kit and pricing...surely not the SRB - Gritum for this level of scope/eyepiece and camera? Plus cable release - It surely has to be the Kowa TSN - DA4 to maintain the level of quality etc.

I'm not sure about this - surely the main purpose of a digiscoping adapter is to hold the camera in place. I use a Baader adapter (~£30) and it holds the camera as still as any other adapter I've tested. Personally I don't think that a cable release is a vital bit of kit, having done tests I've found that I can get better shots without one.

Postie - the thread that was started concerned the DC4 - which does indeed incorporate a remote control for exposure...are we commenting on all of this piece of kit or just certain elements of it?
The reason for my reply and question to Robert was that in this thread the performance of the new Kowa 883 was brought into play, and runs alongside/within this thread due to his testing of it with a digital camera. This must then include the attachment of said items to each other to reflect a fair appraisal, doesn't it. I do not believe that anyone serious of taking high quality images would always do this purely by holding the camera up to the eyepiece.
Given the line of discussion had taken into account costings etc it would have seemed prudent to invite an inclusion on an adapter, to balance the pros and cons / thoughts on the DC4 - it seems advantageous to have it all within one housing.
a. The suggestion that the Kowa 883 is reputed to have some amazing optical performances including digiscoped photographs when combined with an appropriate camera should also include the skill of a photographer and this is why you achieve good results - not all users will have your experience, technical knowhow and fieldcraft. Again, is this a thought process by Zeiss or Kowa (TD1)?

b. We've talked before on using economic accessories with high performing optics - eg...cheap filters on expensive OGs. As you know I took the filter off my Swaro 65 HD as I felt it degraded the image. So would you use a £20 adapter when you've shelled out nearly £2k. Personally I would feel it was the weakest link and want something better.

Anyway, there you go, its always down to the individual - WHO started this thread? I'm off to gentler discussions, goodnight. XXX

Last edited:
Pyrtle, I have not put any digiscoped images using the Kowa 883 on this thread or any other but my son did put some quick shots handheld some time ago. In addition there is no 883 available to properly test

As for adapter the SRB swing away is very good and provides a very stable platform as good as the Kowa at a considerable saving in cost. So what is your problem with the SRB adapter, what makes you think that it is not worthy to be connected to a high end scope, have you tried one out.

However I never compared the performance of the DC4 to the 883, rather the cost and which I would choose. My choice stems from the fact that I am a birder first and shot taker second for me the dc4 would be useless with that aim in mind.

As for the quality of images perhaps referred to on other threads it comes down to the size of the objective and how much light gets through which is the fundamental need of any camera,, light. Naturally it depends on the ability of the photographer to get that little something extra.

As for your suggestion of it all being in one unit, have you tried a TD1 or DC4, for me this thread was about the DC4, my post was merely to point out cost and other possibilites as did Pete.

Robert L Jarvis said:
Pyrtle, I have not put any digiscoped images using the Kowa 883 on this thread or any other but my son did put some quick shots handheld some time ago. In addition there is no 883 available to properly test

As for adapter the SRB swing away is very good and provides a very stable platform as good as the Kowa at a considerable saving in cost. So what is your problem with the SRB adapter, what makes you think that it is not worthy to be connected to a high end scope, have you tried one out.

However I never compared the performance of the DC4 to the 883, rather the cost and which I would choose. My choice stems from the fact that I am a birder first and shot taker second for me the dc4 would be useless with that aim in mind.

As for the quality of images perhaps referred to on other threads it comes down to the size of the objective and how much light gets through which is the fundamental need of any camera,, light. Naturally it depends on the ability of the photographer to get that little something extra.

As for your suggestion of it all being in one unit, have you tried a TD1 or DC4, for me this thread was about the DC4, my post was merely to point out cost and other possibilites as did Pete.

Well, from seeing the website, and reading the advantages and disadvantages posted here, my conclusion of it all is, another expensive toy for the idle rich, and those that must have the latest and greatest, wether it works or not. Where is the fun in this, I get great enjoyment from getting things up and running. Why you must spend X amount of dollars on adapters I dont know, it is so easy to design and make your own, at little or no expence, and a lot of fun. I have posted a thread on Andys Forum called Universal Adapter ( which nobody seems to look at) see how simple it is, and it is made from scrap materials. Ernie

I have seen your adapter Ernie and it is very good for what you want but you miss the point on the subject of the adapter, I like to use my scope for birding and digiscoping so the swing away adapter achieves this. As for cost of the SRB adapter it is about £90 which in comparison to all the manufacturers adapters is a hell of a saving. As for the other adapters like the baader, fox, LCE, etc, these all fix to the eyepiece so you cannot use the scope for birding and one cannot use a zoom lens. Your priority from what I can see is taking photos, mine is not. First and foremost I want to see the Bird not take a photo.

This thread actualy is not about adapters but the Zeiss DC4, there is a proper section to talk of adapters I merely responded to a post.

Robert L Jarvis said:
I have seen your adapter Ernie and it is very good for what you want but you miss the point on the subject of the adapter, I like to use my scope for birding and digiscoping so the swing away adapter achieves this. As for cost of the SRB adapter it is about £90 which in comparison to all the manufacturers adapters is a hell of a saving. As for the other adapters like the baader, fox, LCE, etc, these all fix to the eyepiece so you cannot use the scope for birding and one cannot use a zoom lens. Your priority from what I can see is taking photos, mine is not. First and foremost I want to see the Bird not take a photo.

This thread actualy is not about adapters but the Zeiss DC4, there is a proper section to talk of adapters I merely responded to a post.

Excuse Me Robert, But I think I did make reference to the DC4, and also mentioned the adapter because someone maybe you mention paying Xamount of dollars for and adapter. Incidently my adapter was designed to swing in the first place, but decided to leave it off . Yes you are correct my interest is in photographing wildlife in general both Macro and Digiscoping. Thank you kindly for your comments. Ernie

dc4

I'm aware the thread is about the DC4, therefore the apparent discussion on it may have covered all its aspects/functions etc - perhaps I was incorrect in asuming this.... I just thought a fair and balanced appraisal should account for these other factors. Dealing with specifics elsewhere on the site may have splintered the thread - I do sincerely apologise if I've ruffled any feathers. Yes, I've tried the Kowa TD1 some time ago, I hope to go a field day where the DC4 is going to be practically demonstrated, soon I believe and not far from where I live. Like you I am a birder first and foremost ( but a useless photographer). I hope the DC4 brings enjoyment and fun to those who choose to use it.

Both the TD1 and DC4 are very good and original concepts and may well signal the way forward for looking at birds and taking photos( just imagine no vignetting). They may well be the start of something, I mean the original spotting scopes were not a patch on those of today so with further research and development who knows where the TD1 and DC4 may take the birding world.

Ernie I do not have unlimited funds to squander, I am a pensioner probably as you are. For example my scope is a Kowa TSN4 which I bought new over 15 years ago but it is still optically perfect because I have looked after it. I certainly cannot afford to change it for any of the current top end scopes let alone the new Kowa.

It is each to their choice and what their pocket can afford. Nevertheless about the DC4 and TD1 they are great concepts as I said above and could point the way forward but in addition to the point I raised for the future, there is the question of cost.

Cheers to you both, happy birding and snapping for 2007.

Tried one out today

Managed to have a look at and a demonstration of a production unit today. As postcard cv said in the original posting it is very user friendly and easy to use - once the eyepiece diopter is set. I liked the overall kit and accessories, the results were good ( when viewed on its monitor screen) and it will be lots of fun for those who want and can afford something like this.

Last edited:
Agreed it is quite expensive and is a bold attempt from Zeiss.

I think there are a few issues though and may have been mentioned, its not an adapter you could use for birding, you only have 40x mag and for the same money you could buy a pas camera with adapter or another eyepiece and still have change.

But it is nice though and may be if it was half the price there might be a few more takers.

If anybody is interested, i am doing a demonstration of the Zeiss DC4 at Cley Spy in Norfolk,on Saturday 27th Jan 2007

I will be there from10.00am until the last person has gone home and shut the door behind them on their way out, or we run out of light!

If anybody on BF has any digiscoping queries, or just wants to ask questions, please come along, all are welcome, if you have any queries with your kit, please bring it all along so as i can see the problem, i will do my best to help you as always

Best Regards

Paul

Paul Hackett said:
If anybody is interested, i am doing a demonstration of the Zeiss DC4 at Cley Spy in Norfolk,on Saturday 27th Jan 2007

I'll be working there that day so any BF'ers who come in be sure to say hello (I need to get some more for my BF200 list)!

imaxfli said:
Paul...how did that demonstration go????

It went quite well with one couple travelling from Surrey just to see it! asking lots of questions, with a steady stream of people over the day but it tailed off towards late afternoon, as we were treated to a Barn Owl hunting in the field adjacent to the hide, Cley Spy were great hosts with cups of tea flowing regulary to keep us warm, thanks Steve and the crew, postardcv works here, and it was good to meet him at last and put a face to a name and we chewed the fat during the course of the day on many things including digiscoping, nice one Pete!

The main points people liked about the DC4 was the simple and ease of use in comparison to conventional digiscoping, and the ability to focus through the eyepiece and not the LCD screen, once you had set set the diopter settings to your eyesight, and the possibility to take moving images, one point raised, was that the write times of the camera to the card was a little slow in comparison to current p & s cameras if i am being honest I had some A4 prints of Birds taken by myself, and Stephen Inhgram from Zeiss USA sent me a few including a flight shot of a snow goose!

Paul

So...you press the remote button and it doesn't instantly take the picture?? There is a delay longer than other digital cameras used with scopes???

imaxfli said:
So...you press the remote button and it doesn't instantly take the picture?? There is a delay longer than other digital cameras used with scopes???

No, the remote button is quite responsive, the slight delay is when you have taken the picture, and the camera is writing the picture to the memory card

Paul

UK Zeiss tech e-mailed me that there was no guarantee they would make more than that first 1,000(which i believe are all sold), could that be???

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back