• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Inspired by all those photos of outdoor painting gear, I took my paints out for the first time in a long time today. Not many waders about yet, but I only need one at a time to sketch!

Now I'm suffering from sunburnt ears and arms!

Dave
Beautiful work Dave - superb stuff. Really lovely touch and just the perfect use of colour to lift the images from the page- wonderful!
Oh, yeah - the sunburnt arm and ears!!! - I get that all the time . . . er, not ;)

The sandplover is a beauty, and the attitudes of the whimbrel are spot on. I don't know why but whimbrel always remind me of a 'sack of sickles' (if that makes no sense, just enjoy the alliteration!) which is the feeling I get from this sketch. Definitely worth a bit of sunburn, maybe you could do a sketch of the sun so that us here in Europe will be able to recognise it if it's ever relocated!

top stuff

The sandplover is a beauty, and the attitudes of the whimbrel are spot on. I don't know why but whimbrel always remind me of a 'sack of sickles' (if that makes no sense, just enjoy the alliteration!) which is the feeling I get from this sketch. Definitely worth a bit of sunburn, maybe you could do a sketch of the sun so that us here in Europe will be able to recognise it if it's ever relocated!

top stuff

A sketch of sun-soaked sickle-sacks ... I should have said!

Georgeous stuff Dave.

We've got sun right now but I've got no transport (the wifes at her sister's), just one week before a week away in Norfolk. My paints are definately coming with me!

Woody

Beauty stuff, love those plover, and some great poses on the preening whimbrel. Slap on the aloe, and get out there again soon!

Beauty stuff, love those plover, and some great poses on the preening whimbrel. Slap on the aloe, and get out there again soon!

Took your orders Jomo! Tried a new locality and found more birds, but much more distant. Quite a challenge to paint birds that are shimmering in the heat haze!

Oh, and I remembered the Factor 30! Still feel as if I have a temperature of 104 now though, and my face is the delicate hue of cooked lobster.

Dave

Attachments

• Lesser Sand Plover1_120807.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover1_120807.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Lesser Sand Plover2_120807.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover2_120807.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Lesser Sand Plover3_120807.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover3_120807.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Terek Sand1_120807.jpg
    Terek Sand1_120807.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Terek Sand2_120807.jpg
    Terek Sand2_120807.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 109
Thoroughly excellent studies - the heat haze (what's that?) has, if anything, added to the sense of place for the drawings. The first lesser plover is just superb - as I'd imagine one to be.

Just beautiful Dave!
There is everything to see, atmosphere, movement, correct shapes,
and all these using a very limited palette!
More please!!
I had also the chance today to visit a "Wild" Park, close to Munich, where
although initially I was planning to sketch only Bears, at least there were
only Raptors to see in my sketchbook.
Here are the results...

Spizaetos

Attachments

• Sakerfalcon.jpg
    Sakerfalcon.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Sakerfalcon 1.jpg
    Sakerfalcon 1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Red Kite.jpg
    Red Kite.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Just beautiful Dave!
There is everything to see, atmosphere, movement, correct shapes,
and all these using a very limited palette!
More please!!
I had also the chance today to visit a "Wild" Park, close to Munich, where
although initially I was planning to sketch only Bears, at least there were
only Raptors to see in my sketchbook.
Here are the results...

Spizaetos

Thank you Paschalis

I'm in awe of your work, as always!

I didn't get out today, but used an old photo as the inspiration for this sketch of a White-throated Kingfisher, the commonest of the kingfishers we have here.

Dave

Attachments

• wtk5a copy.jpg
    wtk5a copy.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Nice sketch Dave. Visited your blog - what fabulous photos you,ve got on there - and sketches! Looks a great place to live - will pop in again.

Nice sketch Dave. Visited your blog - what fabulous photos you,ve got on there - and sketches! Looks a great place to live - will pop in again.

Hi Wendy

Yes, I don't complain too much, except when the sun gets too hot and there's no rain! Today it's nice and cloudy and we've just had a bit of rain to clear the air - ah - love this weather - it always reminds me of dear ol' Blighty! You're welcome to pop in anytime! Things should start to get interesting from now as migrants build up. Yippee!

Dave

The horizontal background strokes give a great sense of movement to your kingfisher sketch Dave, another winner.

Had another go at a Lesser Sand Plover today. This is a sketch with watercolour added, scanned into the computer and then finished off with the pen and tablet.
Also, after looking at the kiingfisher for a few days and feeling it was a bit flat, I tried adding a few more highlights around the head and body.

Think I'm gradually getting the hang of the pen and tablet and enjoy the freedom it gives, as it's well nigh impossible to 'spoil' a picture, and I can tinker away to my heart's content without fear of 'overcooking' it.

Of course I realize the purists will mutter 'But is it art?' , but I don't mind - it's fun!

Attachments

• Lesser Sand Plover 5.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover 5.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 111
  • wtk5c copy.jpg
    wtk5c copy.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back