• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK/Raptor ID please (1 Viewer)

But I also think any male Hen harrier with colour that even and solid should be adult enough to have no breast streaking left.

I agree wing coverts look rather dark in pic. Just on the streaking, both Forsman and Christie both say that it persists until late autumn of CY2.

Had friends who used to live over this way not so long ago who we visited fairly regularly and yomped the hills with AND we have seen Hen Harrier over there on a couple of occassions especially in late autumn/winter.
So my money's on hen harrier, probably 2cy male. Cere not yellow - dirty? not fully coloured up for some reaon?

Cheers

Davo

Just a point but one of the distinctions of Marsh Hawk male from Hen Harrier is the underpart streaking in adult appearing (and actual adult) plumage stages, and the American species/race is hardly the most likely option over here being a major rarity. Am quite baffled as to the birds identity though. Merlin is my best guess as I really don't think thats a yellow eye. you can see its a leaf growing in from the left, and the eye I believe is in shaddow behind that

Jan

Oddly-plumaged raptor in the UK? It's a Buzzard.

Wearing contacts....

;)

Failing that a soggy [always good for odd looks] immature male Hen Harrier.

Or possibly a Lemur/Harpy Eagle hybrid ["Please don't eat me.... I'll do anything!" "Anything..?"]
[[I'll get my coat...]]

Jan - that's the eye. That and the bill are the only things that are clear in the entire pic!!

Lol fair enough, I'll go with that ;) Keep trying to look at it in different ways to see if anything clicks but its not working. Probably just as well the legs aren't showing so we can't see the jesses and tag saying 'hybrid I made earlier' dangling from them. Then again ive considered anything from partially leucistic Sparrowhawk to Short-toed Eagle myself so I think its high time I stopped staring at the thing :)

cheers

Jan

I'd like to know about perceived size and flight.... and did the observer see anything not apparent in the photos, lke a white rump.

If the size is ok for Hen Harrier, which I still doubt, there is as good a case for recently fledged SEO - the black round the eyes, big forward facing yellow eyes, facial disk lack of cere etc, though I don't like the breast patterning and the bill structure is all wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back