• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are your Blackbirds hiding? (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
These last few weeks has seen a big loss of adult blackbirds in our garden, most mornings now see only very brief sighting of maybe 3, and they seem to be skulking so i assume it's moulting time? the house sparrows & starlings are still in good numbers. The blue and great tits seem to be coming back, but the best sighting of these last 2 days has been 3 mistle thrushe's now that was a great sight!! more than made up for the missing blackie's.
bert.:t:

I Believe Birds Hide Away When Their Going Through The Moult, Should Appear Again Soon In Their Bright New Plummage. No Time To Groom When Your Feeding Young. Either That Our There's Been A Catfest..hope Not

Hi all

I never really thought anything of it but having seen this thread i to have noticed that the blackies are not being seen as often as before, it's definateley only a temporary thing though.... I think

Steven

What a spooky thread. For the past 2 or 3 weeks ours have completely vanished, both out of sight and of voice. Cos I work night shifts by the time I go to bed they usually keep me awake with their singing. But there's been nothing for a few weeks now. Worrying really, hope they return!

I'm enjoying the blackbirds at the moment. Early in June one of mine started to moult - and looked dreadful - but came daily for food. If I was late in the morning he would come to the kitchen window and "shout" He is still coming - and comes when I call "Scruffy" All his mates come too - youngsters and moulters - which annoys Scruff who chases them all over the lawn. In the last couple of weeks my call to Scruffy- brings out half a dozen sparrows and a song thrush! It has been an entertaining couple of months.

Last edited:
Laurab said:
I Believe Birds Hide Away When Their Going Through The Moult, Should Appear Again Soon In Their Bright New Plummage. No Time To Groom When Your Feeding Young. Either That Our There's Been A Catfest..hope Not

Yep, Laura has it - the answer that is. ;) Blackbirds had an early start into breeding this year and most should have completed or be completing third broods by now. This means that they are already heading into the moult, and not before time for certain individuals.

I have a couple of adult females still coming for their sultanas, and a couple of youngsters, which is more blackbirds than I have ever had before anyway. Funny thing is,I have watched the mothers feeding the youngsters, and they have all been coming in the garden for a few months, but I have never, ever seen a male. Is it a possibility that I have a male who didn't change from brown to black?

I must be going against the trend, my Blackbirds are still coming in the garden in reasonable figures,I think they have got so used to my sultanas as well. Its just about every other type I am down on.

I did start a thread the other week regarding how my numbers had went right down and possibly linking it in with a swarm of honey bees that set up camp in one of our trees. But they have gone and my bird numbers have hardly improved, from filling feeders every other day I am lucky if I have to fill them once a week!

Link to thread :-
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20214

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back