• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida - snake ID - Swamp (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Hello all, been to Florida last couple of weeks and spotted the attached snake sunning on a tree stump in a swamp area - tried all the online resources but can't make a positive ID - I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide one?

[Also saw loads of mammals which I could identify, including: Swamp Rabbit, Otters, Raccoons, Armadillos and Squirrels.]

Thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• DSC_0498 (1).jpg
    DSC_0498 (1).jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 90
It's one of the Nerodia Water Snakes, possibly Florida Water Snake (Nerodia fasciata). Where abouts in Florida was it?

Impressive mammal list BTW.

EDIT: Had a quick look through my Florida snake guide and I can't see what else it could be, other than Florida Water Snake.

Last edited:
Thanks Skink1978 - it was in the swamp walk section of Gatorland - loads of people were racing through and missed this, a form of gecko [I think] and a several examples of a lizard species that we saw. The Swamp Rabbit [attached] was near Champions Gate and the Armadillos were every mile or so along the I4 in the early evening, otters were seen twice; once near Gatorland and once near Disney - I was just surprised we didn't see any Deer at all. But not too bad as I wasn't supposed to be bird/nature watching [I'm working on the bird IDs next :) ]

Attachments

• DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0433.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 62
White-tailed Deer are very common in Florida, but I guess you can't have everything!

You probably already know, but most of the lizards you see around Florida are the introduced Brown Anoles. Green Anoles occur in smaller numbers, along with several skinks and swifts.

Nice pic of the Swamp Rabbit.

Thanks Mike, now you've got me wondering about what I saw - would it be possible to ID them from the attached - I guess the first is a Skink having done some googling Maybe Broad Headed or Ground and the second could well be a Brown Anole as you suggested? Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0502.jpg
    DSC_0502.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0504.jpg
    DSC_0504.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 51
Your snake is Nerodia fasciata, the banded water snake. I saw so many of them on my trip to florida. Once I saw around 10 in the same place. A beautiful and highly varied snake. I believe the key is on the markings on the jaw.

Love the marsh rabbit too, think I saw one of those once too :)

Thanks Mike, now you've got me wondering about what I saw - would it be possible to ID them from the attached - I guess the first is a Skink having done some googling Maybe Broad Headed or Ground and the second could well be a Brown Anole as you suggested? Peter

You are correct with skink - the species is Southeastern Five-lined Skink (Eumeces inexpectatus).

The second photo is a Brown Anole as far as I can tell. If it was further south I would want to see a clearer photo, mostly because countless other exotics thrive in south Florida.

Your snake is Nerodia fasciata, the banded water snake. I saw so many of them on my trip to florida. Once I saw around 10 in the same place.

That's an impressive amount of snakes. What time of year did you visit Florida?

It seems Nerodia fasciata is known by several common names (Florida WS, Banded WS, Broadbanded WS, Southern WS...)

Last edited:
You are correct with skink - the species is Southeastern Five-lined Skink (Eumeces inexpectatus).

The second photo is a Brown Anole as far as I can tell. If it was further south I would want to see a clearer photo, mostly because countless other exotics thrive in south Florida.

Thanks very much Mike, first time I'd seen anything outside of Adder, Grass Snake and Slow Worm. Cheers, Peter

That's an impressive amount of snakes. What time of year did you visit Florida?

It seems Nerodia fasciata is known by several common names (Florida WS, Banded WS, Broadbanded WS, Southern WS...)

That was in mid-october when I saw a large number in the same area. I have to think they were either their for the large numbers of fish/frogs in the pond/small wetland thing they were in, as I saw one hunting, tried to catch a frog I think. Or because they were breeding, but there didn't seem to be much interaction happening between them at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back