• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts Gone Already? (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Not sure if this is the right section, nobody seems to have put anything in the migration one lately, but they have been in and around the garden. Anyway, how very, very depressing, there is no sign of any now for the past two or three days. Is this unusual? I know they depart way ahead of the Swallows and Martins. I had a large screaming flock of 20+ for the past few weeks, and now silence. Summer's nearly over already then. :-C

Well, summer's still around in these parts... they're high in the sky, but I have seen five or six circling round recently, including today. Don't look to be going anywhere just yet, but I guess it won't be long... (I can feel a chill in the air already ;) )

songbird said:
Ah right, sorry. I should've done a search I guess. :brains: (Why isn't there an "embarrassed" smiley?)
Dont' worry, it happens to the best of us ;)
I'm as guilty as the next person for not always doing a search.

tp20uk said:
swifts here have gone, and can't see any House Martins either! Just about 20 swallows left :(
Still good numbers of house martins around our part of the world. Mid september is the time we see them group up ready for their long flight back to Africa.
bert.

An amazing day yesterday on Scotlands east coast which of course saw me being on the west! However one rather fascinating observation was a movement of Swifts over the remote Morvern peninsula in bad weather. Flocks of 30 or so birds appeared throughout the morning, dropping out of low cloud, then drifting slowly southwards.
I suspect they were swept across at high altitude and then were descending over land to feed and re-orientate. The area has very few local populations. Also indicating just how far west the weather was pushing migrating birds of the continent (they almost certainly hadn't come from anywhere further north in the UK I would think).

Swifts seemed to disappear before the hoorendous thunderstorms at the start of the week here in Bedfordshire. I can't say I blame them really but I am sure I have noticed them doing this in the past too. The birds can probably sense the change in pressure and know a deep low is on its way in. Two major lows are heading into the USA as we write and one is a hurricane so watch out for more bad weather in 3 weeks if the storms swing north at any point.

Ian, there's quite a bit on this in the Poyser book Birds and Weather by Norman Elkins. Swifts are more than capable of moving off to avoid an unfavourable weather system and returning after it has passed.

Bluetail said:
Ian, there's quite a bit on this in the Poyser book Birds and Weather by Norman Elkins. Swifts are more than capable of moving off to avoid an unfavourable weather system and returning after it has passed.

Thanks Jason, I have never come across that title [mental note to self: check library].

Ian Peters said:
Two major lows are heading into the USA as we write and one is a hurricane so watch out for more bad weather in 3 weeks if the storms swing north at any point.
Not too far north, I hope! Could do with a classic Cornish nor-westerly just now.

bert said:
Still good numbers of house martins around our part of the world. Mid september is the time we see them group up ready for their long flight back to Africa.
bert.

When would you think house martins leave leave the northern part of France?
I've been given various dates, a chap from the bird protection league near me says I've got to have my chick up and flying for 15/8 cos thats when they all leave our area. I hope he was getting mixed up with swallows 'cos he also told me the bird should weigh 42 grams before letting it go and mine only weighs 25 grs despite me force feeding like a goose!
Oriel

No, house martins will still be around here (SE England) until late September, and a good number well into October, Oriel. What is the story behind the chick you're feeding?

Bluetail said:
Not too far north, I hope! Could do with a classic Cornish nor-westerly just now.

Just picked up an update and it looks like the tropical storm (or the remnants) will end up with us in a little over a week. It is likely to be windy and wet but not quite as thundery as the remains of Alex were. It remains to be seen what will happen with Charley.

florall said:
No, house martins will still be around here (SE England) until late September, and a good number well into October, Oriel. What is the story behind the chick you're feeding?

Hi,
It fell out of it's nest (on my house wall) last Friday. With a lot of sound advice from this forums members I've managed to keep it alive with "good quality" dog food, ground beef and as many flies and spiders I can catch. After the weekend I contacted the French Bird savers association and this is where my conflicting information is coming from.
We have flying lessons every afternoon on the long grass at the back of the house.
PS
I'm not a birdwatcher but think this forum is wonderful, everyone seems to have such useful information to give the other members, not like the garden forums I usually visit - I suppose good old-fashioned gardeners don't know how to use the net?
Oriel

orielmitchell said:
Hi,
We have flying lessons every afternoon on the long grass at the back of the house.

I'm not a birdwatcher but think this forum is wonderful, everyone seems to have such useful information to give the other members,Oriel

Nice image I have in my mind of a man and a bird running round the garden flapping like crazy ;) But, be careful, I reckon you'll be a birdwatcher soon!!!

Hope the little House Martin will be airborne soon ...still dozens in and about the nest up here.

Still five Swifts today

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back