• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 british birds (1 Viewer)

Peter 255

Does anyone know what these birds are?

Attachments

• PICT0441.JPG
    PICT0441.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 539
  • PICT0408.JPG
    PICT0408.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 576
  • PICT0330.JPG
    PICT0330.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 528
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 515
333 said:
Does anyone know what these birds are?

As per the new suggestion of helping the person identify the birds themselves asking I will answer as follows,

1 - Brown wader with largest downwardly curved bill

2 - Not too sure from that pic.

3 - Is the colour of the bird's throat a giveaway or was this a warbler you found in the garden ? (I'm not totally sure on this one but have narrowed it down)

4 - I'll cut to the chase. Willow warbler or Chiffchaff.

edit throat not throad!

Last edited:
The Firecrest said:
1 Whimbrel
2 Wren
3 Young Wren
4 Chiffchaff

Looks like I need some educating.

Why is number one not a curlew (that bill looks huge! as does the bird).

2 - I can see stance of wren (with cocked tail and head turned) but the bird looks larger (although I 've made bird's size from photo analysis mistakes before) so perhaps best to go with instinct.

3- Really ? I can see it's a young bird but white throat with grey back. It doesn't look like a wren (young or old) to me.

4 - I'll go with the majority on this one :)

Hmm, thought there was something wrong for Wren on no. 2, hadn't thought of Whitethroat (this bl**dy winter weather!). Tim - pic 1 is a Whimbrel because of the head markings, also it's slightly more compact than Curlew.

Can't find any picture of the 3rd bird but this is another pic of the chiffchaff/willow warbler.

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 258
Agreed about the whitethroats, James.

Tim, the wader has a very pronounced eyestripe, and that's a small beak for a curlew.

A couple of curlews to compare:

Attachments

• curl2frame.jpg
    curl2frame.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 169
  • curl2_filtered.jpg
    curl2_filtered.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 149
333 said:
Can't find any picture of the 3rd bird but this is another pic of the chiffchaff/willow warbler.
It's definitely a Chiffchaff, note overall fairly dark appearance, and dark legs (Willow Warbler usually shows orangey legs, though this is variable).

Chiffy looks good to me and whitethroat for No 3 but not sure about No 2.. doesn't it look a bit like a nightingale to anyone?

2 and 3 are Whitethroats. 4 is Chiffchaff I believe although open to persuasion on Willow Warbler if someone thinks they know better. 1 may be a Whimbrel, but relying on beak length is a bad move as young Curlews have short beaks and more prominent supercilia although the beak shape here seems to favour Whimbrel. I'd need to see the crown of this bird, but others with more experience of Whimbrels may be able to pronounce.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back