• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdracing Again! (1 Viewer)

joannec

Europe
The Hen Harriers’ Bird Race

Every year the Sussex OS have a January birdrace to raise money for a specific birding cause; this year proceeds go to providing more swift boxes in Sussex. I'm a member of a team, the all female Hen Harriers with two other BFers, SueP and Zaroc. The aim is to see as many bird species as possible in a day. We assemble before dawn at the harrier roost on Ashdown Forest; we want to get our namesake bird! :gh: It’s a risky strategy as it means spending valuable daylight hours in the car later travelling to the coast. A tawny owl hoots while we’re still in the carpark, an excellent omen! :t: We watch a gorgeous sunrise on this frosty morning as two hen harriers o:)arise from the heather; we also notch up redpoll, reed bunting, yellowhammer and mipit.

Onwards to Darwell Woods picking up green woodpecker, song thrush, the first of the greylags and a few others en route. The woods are full to bursting with marsh tits.:king: A flock of redwing fly over, long tailed tits pass through, we glimpse a bullfinch but dip on siskin and goldcrest. Next stop: the village hall in Pett village adding green and goldfinch. Fieldfare, mistle thrush and common gull are in the ponies field next door and we feel we’ve got most of the vital woodlanders; we won’t get them later in the day.

Cliff End sees fulmar on the cliffs but the turbulent swell makes IDing birds on the sea very difficult but we do find a number or red-throated divers, a flock of scoter and hundreds of great-crested grebe. The still frozen Pett Pools is next where we begin to gather duck and geese species. Lots of people on the sea wall looking for the king eider (which we don’t see). We don't linger; after all it's bird race day! A buzzard and marsh harrier are over the levels; a pair of raven complete the corvid tally. Time to stop for some soup and we’re up to 65 species. On to Scotney Pit, careful to stay at the Sussex end only, as per race rules of the SOS, that we have to remain in Sussex. A few more ducks and something puts up the geese and Zarac spots barnacle geese :t: in the flock but SueP and I miss them so we sneak into a derelict farmyard:eek!: where we’re able to see the flock of barnacles and even better, four bean geese (tundra):t::t:. Wooo, bird of the day! Happy at that, we’re on a roll now, eat the rest of our lunch on the trot and head to Rye Harbour. No, ladies, we can’t count the ostriches, which are in a field on the way. I know they’re big but they’re not allowed.

Target birds for Rye are bittern, cettis, water rail and goldeneye but even with our secret bicycle weapons we dip them all….in fact Rye is disappointingly bereft of birds today. :-C We spend an hour and a half here and only add seven more species. We’re beginning to feel despondent when towards the end, near Lime Kiln Cottage SueP suddenly calls ‘kingfisher’, looks to the left and points, forgets to look where she’s going……the inevitable happens….she unseats herself but we all glimpse the flash of blue. It lightens the mood and she says it was worth it. I do hope you’re not too bruised today Sue.o:)

No time to stop at the observation point as light is fading fast and we need to be back at Pett. We stop at Winchelsea Beach, low tide now, and add ringed plover and sanderling. Back to the pools to wait in the now bitter wind for the barn owl who probably finds it too windy too tonight and doesn’t show. On to The British Oak pub in Pett village for some warming and restorative soup which the nice lady, seeing how cold we are, provides us with even though it’s outside food serving times. Eighty-six species in total for The Hen Harriers. Although the list is notable for it’s absences we’re pleased as it’s three higher than our last years total. We won't win; we're up against some VERY experienced competition but we had as much fun as any of the teams I'm sure, and we raised some money for swifts in Sussex.

Joanne

Last edited:
I'm a member of a team, the all female Hen Harriers ...

... We assemble before dawn at the harrier roost on Ashdown Forest; we want to get our namesake bird!

...two hen harriers o:)arise from the heather

Eighty-six species in total for The Hen Harriers.

With sincere regret, the Bird Race Plod has deemed it necessary to review your totals and seeks further clarification with regard certain species claimed.

As you yourself admit, being a member of the 'all female Hen Harriers', your team assembled with the sole purpose of wanting to 'get your namesake', by which I think it is reasonable to understand that being a female Hen Harrier.

We in the committee, the 'we' being a royal 'we' given that the committee composes just I, are naturally delighted that you saw two hen harriers (even though this committee feels that should be written as Hen Harriers, to avoid confusion with hen harriers in the context of persons harrying female chickens).

However, we in the committee are as yet not convinced the two birds can be counted on your grand total of 86 (eighty-six) species for reasons of possible fraud. As already stated, you sought to 'tick' (if this term is acceptable to your honarable team) your namesake, i.e. a female Hen Harrier (with capital letters), yet in your subsequent sentence only claim two hen harriers (without capital letters and certainly without reference to gender).

So esteemed member, I am hereby dutybound to inform you that further specifics are required - should you be found to be trying to mislead, confuse or in any way other deceive the members of this here forum, then the record is automatically discredited and no longer valid as part of the bird race total.

[turns on the bright lights]
Were these two birds truly the birds you led us to believe they were, ie female Hen Harriers? Should you admit guilt and confess they were actually males or, worse still, loonies chasing chickens, then we will treat you with compassion and dock you just the single species. Failure to admit guilt may lead to further penalties. Repent dear birder, repent.

Last edited:
PS the committee is also undecided on 'yellowhammer', should we feel that is actually a Yellowhammer, then the record stands, but if it was a yellow hammer, naturally we take a dim view of adding D.I.Y. equipment to your total, however nicely painted

So esteemed member, I am hereby dutybound to inform you that further specifics are required - should you be found to be trying to mislead, confuse or in any way other deceive the members of this here forum, then the record is automatically discredited and no longer valid as part of the bird race total.

3:)Oh gaaaaawd Jos. They were ring-tailed Hen Harriers so on the balance of probability one was female. Can't you let us off.....we just wanna help the swifts.

The Hen Harriers’ Bird Race

The more pertinent question is whether we, as responsible birders, should be making the same mistake as we have done with people and referring to birds in terms of race at all. Surely birds have enough to deal with without being stigmatised in this way...

Last edited:
PS the committee is also undecided on 'yellowhammer', should we feel that is actually a Yellowhammer, then the record stands, but if it was a yellow hammer, naturally we take a dim view of adding D.I.Y. equipment to your total, however nicely painted

What about shellfish? We are informed in paragraph 3 that Zarac spotted some Barnacle Geese . . . . nice.

However we only have to read a few lines down to find that both Joanne and Sue then shortly after ticked 'Barnacles' for their list . . . Hmmmm, well dodgy your honour . . .

. . . As for Mipits . . . (or should that be muppets?? ;) )

(BTW Joanne, nice report, years since I've done a race, always good though :t: )

What about shellfish? ... both Joanne and Sue then shortly after ticked 'Barnacles' for their list . . . Hmmmm, well dodgy your honour . . .

Not even Barnacles, but barnacles! Yep, sorry, shellfish do not qualify for birdrace counts.

Muppets? Frog, pig, were there any birds?

PS. with all deletions, your year list is still way above mine ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back