• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x50 Binos (1 Viewer)

pbyrne

Hi all

Newbie here, I am reading a lot about binoculars and the majority opinion appears to be that 8x42 are the binos of choice. I have a pair of 10x50 Pentax PCF WPII, fogproof and waterproof, before I think of handing over a couple of hundred euro for some 8x42s, are my Pentax binos a good choice for observing?

All assistance gratefully accepted.

Paul

If you liked 10x power, you can get a 10x42 binocular with a much wider (340+ feet) field of view, it will make it great for observing.

Not being familiar with the Pentax, I found this link ......

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366708-USA/Pentax_65808_10x50_PCF_WP_II.html

Two specs stood out to me (assuming the model and specs are correct).

- Weight 34.2 Oz or 970.1 grams

- FOV of 263 ft at 1,000 yards or 87 meters at 1,000 meters

The weight is on the heavy side and it looks like a big beast in the photos. My max desired weight for a 10X field birding binocular would be in the area of 28 oz (794 g), give or take a little depending on the balance and feel.

The 10X FOV is incredibly small for a birding binocular compared to current offerings. A FOV of 315 ft (105 m) was common a few years ago for a 10X but now a FOV of approximately 340 ft (113 m) is common for a 10X and that would be my approximate minimum for a 10X birding binocular.

Another area of concern is the focus mechanism. A binocular for looking at the stars will be set once at infinity and not tocuched again. A birding binocular can be focused over a 100 times an outing. That makes the focus mechanism much more critical in a birding binocular. Generally speaking, the focus mechanism on a water proof Porro tends to be on the tight sight. Not having seen the Pentax, I will let you comment on that. The focusing speed is also more critical on a birding binocular because you may be looking a something very close, then a second later, the view changes to something at a distance. Generally speaking, the max roation from close to infinity should be about 1 1/2 turns.

The Pentax does have good reviews on the B & H web site and may be a very good astronomy binocular but it does not strike me as a good choice for a birding binocular to be used on a regular basis out in the field. An 8X42 roof would be an excellent first choice.

Here are some characteristics to look for in an 8X42 roof:
- Fully multi coated
- Phase coated
- weight around 28 oz (794 g) or less
- FOV at least 370 ft (123 m) with 400 ft (133 m) or more being better
- Close focus of at least 8 ft if looking at bugs and such
- Water proof (where the roof has advantages - i.e. focus)
- ED glass would be a nice bonus
- Di-electric coated prisms would be another nice bonus
- eye relief over15 mm if wearing glasses

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies and it certainly gives me scope for thought.

Paul

Paul
The Zeiss Conquest 10x42 weights 795g, is fully waterproof and fogproof and has a FOV at 1,000m of 115m. It is at a reasonable price too. If you would rather go for the 8x42 the weight and fov are 795g and 128m. They both sell for about €935.

Being a Zeiss fan I have quoted these because I know them but there are loads of great bins out there. If you like the sound of the Conquests contact: http://lakelandsportssupplies.ie/clay-shooting/Optics/Binoculars-120-75.html

If you could give us an idea of the kind of birding you wish to do and your budget then you will receive plenty of suggestions here.

Good luck with your choice.

Lee

Hi all

Newbie here, I am reading a lot about binoculars and the majority opinion appears to be that 8x42 are the binos of choice. I have a pair of 10x50 Pentax PCF WPII, fogproof and waterproof, before I think of handing over a couple of hundred euro for some 8x42s, are my Pentax binos a good choice for observing?

All assistance gratefully accepted.

Paul

PB,

Hello and welcome to BF! :hi:

Sure, if You are enjoying the 10X50's for the type and style of observing you do (?), then keep on glassing!

However, if you feel you are missing some performance criteria in your views (wider FOV than 87m, sharper edges, faster focus, more compact size, lighter weight, better build, etc.), than for 200 euro, you do have other great choices!

Ted

Your Pentax is a perfectly good glass that will easily carry you for the rest of your life.
You might want to look at the glass held by Chandler Robbins, a major American ornithologist.
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/robbins/bio.cfm
There are several threads here on BF devoted to his binoculars, a set of 10x50 Bushnell Featherlights.
One here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=144506&highlight=chandler+robbins+binoculars
noted the glass weights 970 grams.

So relax and enjoy the birds, your gear is quite adequate.
You can get a lighter glass with a wider FoV, but why spend the money? Go on a nice birding trip instead, you'll get more joy out of birding than from binocular specs and brochures.

8x42s will give lighter weight and wider FOV,
but I would suggest 8x32s for even less weight and more FOV
as a good compliment to the 10x50s

see "8x32 vs 8x42" thread below

edj

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back