• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for a baby dove (1 Viewer)

shawns122

Hello,

Recently I found a baby dove on the ground in my yard with its mother sitting next to him. The prior day, she was sitting near another nestling that had also fallen out and I noticed that the baby had died. (I suspect ants got him). Yesterday, I noticed she was sitting near a baby and the baby was still alive, but a batallion of ants were crawling around on him. Thinking that the ants had killed the last baby, I gently picked the baby up (the baby was on hard gravel rocks - I live in Arizona) and placed him on a plastic bedding for a bit and made sure the ants were not getting at him anymore. The baby is a pretty good size, about the size of a golf ball, and has started developing feathers. I placed the baby in a box near the nest and hoped that the mother would come back. She never came back that I saw. When my dad got home, he placed the baby back up into the nest. We never observed the mother coming back to her baby. If the mother has not come back since, he has probably been without food for about 24 hours. Will the mother come back to the nest anytime soon? Or should I start learning how to care for the baby until its old enough to fly? How long can this baby go without any food until it's a gonner? If there is still time and I have to feed it, how many times a day should it be fed and what should it be fed? I have no idea how to care for this baby dove and would appreciate any and all help. Hopefully the mother has been feeding it while I'm away from home.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

hello Shawn
Welcome to the forums, I have no idea how to answer your Question My own view would have been to leave alone, and let Nature take it's course. Anyway good luck with it.

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to BirdForum - I'm sorry it's under such unpleasant circumstances.

I cannot add anything to Steve's comment, other than to say that you perhaps did what many "right-minded" people would do.

Perhaps, as difficult as it sounds, doing nothing at all might have been a better option - and I would suggest that is the way to go now.

Of course, no-one wants to see young creatures die, but in nature, when survival of the fittest is allowed to happen, it happens for a reason...

Anyway, I'm not going to say you were wrong, I think you acted in a caring manner.

Hopefully you will contribute to BirdForum again, and under better circumstances.

Call your Wildlife, Fish & Game nearest you! :)

shawns122 said:
Hello,

Recently I found a baby dove on the ground in my yard with its mother sitting next to him. The prior day, she was sitting near another nestling that had also fallen out and I noticed that the baby had died. (I suspect ants got him). Yesterday, I noticed she was sitting near a baby and the baby was still alive, but a batallion of ants were crawling around on him. Thinking that the ants had killed the last baby, I gently picked the baby up (the baby was on hard gravel rocks - I live in Arizona) and placed him on a plastic bedding for a bit and made sure the ants were not getting at him anymore. The baby is a pretty good size, about the size of a golf ball, and has started developing feathers. I placed the baby in a box near the nest and hoped that the mother would come back. She never came back that I saw. When my dad got home, he placed the baby back up into the nest. We never observed the mother coming back to her baby. If the mother has not come back since, he has probably been without food for about 24 hours. Will the mother come back to the nest anytime soon? Or should I start learning how to care for the baby until its old enough to fly? How long can this baby go without any food until it's a gonner? If there is still time and I have to feed it, how many times a day should it be fed and what should it be fed? I have no idea how to care for this baby dove and would appreciate any and all help. Hopefully the mother has been feeding it while I'm away from home.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Hi Shawn, I'm not to sure just how long ago you made this post . For I found it on the website under 'Yahoo Search,' where I was looling for pictures of baby Doves.

But, my addvise to you is to call your Wild,Life Fish & Game in your county. You can even find them on-line under Wildlife, Fish & Game.

Send them your story. And, in return they will send you a list of people who can help that wouned bird. They call them REHABILITATORS. And these pepeople secialize in caring for wouned animals, birds, reptiles, and so on.

Hope this helps!

*genesis!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back