• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata) (1 Viewer)

From Wikipedia re Tyrrhenian Sea:
The sea is bounded by the islands of Corsica and Sardinia (to the west), the Italian peninsula (regions of Tuscany, Lazio, Campania, Basilicata, and Calabria) to the east, and the island of Sicily (to the south)
That area therefore does not include the Balearic which also is occupied by these birds.

Niels

"West Mediterranean" would be more accurate, but I guess needlessly cumbersome. Don't think it matters too much, after all, e.g. ~80% of Mediterranean Gulls breed in the Black Sea area, not the Med.

"West Mediterranean" would be more accurate, but I guess needlessly cumbersome. Don't think it matters too much, after all, e.g. ~80% of Mediterranean Gulls breed in the Black Sea area, not the Med.

And the rest of Europe call these gulls Black-headed Gull because of that -- oh, and because they have black head 8-P

Niels

From Wikipedia re Tyrrhenian Sea:
That area therefore does not include the Balearic which also is occupied by these birds.

Niels
Yes, I know. But people seem to be OK with "Manx Shearwater" or (in the US) "Siberian Lynx". The point is, why have a bland generic name when you can have a fairly unique one, which also has ties to the scientific one? Also, "Mediterranean" is hardly more accurate considering it covers the entire Med sea...

Yes, I know. But people seem to be OK with "Manx Shearwater" or (in the US) "Siberian Lynx". The point is, why have a bland generic name when you can have a fairly unique one, which also has ties to the scientific one? Also, "Mediterranean" is hardly more accurate considering it covers the entire Med sea...

As mentioned above, because a possible future split of the two forms of this one would allow for use or Tyrrhenian for the form that is found on those islands and Balearic for the rest. I think the choice of Med for this one is good!

Niels

Well no one ever uses Siberian lynx...first I ever heard of that name!

Its Canadian Lynx if you are referring to the NA lynx

As mentioned above, because a possible future split of the two forms of this one would allow for use or Tyrrhenian for the form that is found on those islands and Balearic for the rest. I think the choice of Med for this one is good!

Niels
I'm still not convinced. How certain is the further split, anyway?

Well no one ever uses Siberian lynx...first I ever heard of that name!
Big Cat Rescue uses it... pretty sure I've heard it elsewhere, too. Of course it's not really the official English name.

Its Canadian Lynx if you are referring to the NA lynx
No, they are obviously referring to the Eurasian species.

Last edited:
Back to one of the original postings, what would this safely be recorded as now

Hi
I have read through all the posts and find the comments very interesting. It brings back memories of a flycatcher I photographed outside the hotel I was staying at in Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca on the 07/05/2008. Could this be a candidate for Muscicapa striata balearica? I would appreciate any thoughts on this bird.

Tom

Tif Update January 1, 2017

Spotted Flycatcher: Based on Pons et al. (2016), the Mediterranean Flycatcher, Muscicapa tyrrhenica (including balearica) has been split from Spotted Flycatcher, Muscicapa striata. See Viganó and Corso (2015) concerning identification of balearica. There is some possibility of a further split into monotypic species, which would probably be named Balearic and Tyrrhenian Flycatchers.
[Muscicapidae, Muscicapoidea II, 3.09]

Tyrrhenian Flycatcher is a perfect name, as the taxon nominotipico (the type taxon or type subspecies Muscicapa tyrrhenica tyrrhenica if you like) is tyrrhenica and it is from tyrrhenian sea area. Then balearica, is only a subspecies of tyrrhenica, therefore either no specific English name as for many other subspecies of many taxa of birds, or indeed Balearic Flycatcher.
Mediterranean flycatcher is an horible hopeless name, asSpotted Flycather ( Muscicapa striata) is widely and commonly breeding all over Italy and most of Mediterranean countries. So, that name would be HIGHLY misleading.
Viganò & Corso (myself then :king::-O) proposed identification and morphological study on both tyrrhenica andd balearica, not only the latter as wrongly quoted, while Pons reported genetic studies (we were doing also this but arrived too late :eek!::eek!::-C:-C:-C)
We are also finishing a new wide paper on their identification for Ducth Birding that will be published later this year.
What is actually the taxa breeding in North Africa and Southern Spain is then another matter, and a different field of ongoing researches....

Sorry to disagree. It would be a perfect name post split for what is now Muscicapa tyrrhenica tyrrhenica

Niels

You disagree with Andrea and I disagree with you.

Tyrrhenian Flycatcher is fine for me. In the same way I see Kentish Plover outside of Kent and Sandwich Tern outside of a sandwich, I am quite capable of making the (not so difficult) mental leap of realising I am seeing a Tyrrhenian Flycatcher in the Balearics.

Brian S

Brian, I think that misses the point: with a plausible further split in the works, reserving Tyrrhenian for later is a sound plan. Otherwise we later can't figure out whether Tyrrhenian is the split taxon or the old species. Were there little possibility of a later split, I wouldn't mind Tyrrhenian at all (other than my current inability to spell the darn thing).

Brian, I think that misses the point: with a plausible further split in the works, reserving Tyrrhenian for later is a sound plan. Otherwise we later can't figure out whether Tyrrhenian is the split taxon or the old species. Were there little possibility of a later split, I wouldn't mind Tyrrhenian at all (other than my current inability to spell the darn thing).

I am not sure I do.

So we give it a new name now then in a couple of years have to give it another new name. There is no stability.

To call it Tyrrhenian Flycatcher now means that if the split happens we can take off Balearic Flycatcher and have just one more new name change. That is what I would like to see happen anyway.

Vermilion Flycatcher has been spilt into four - Vermilion, Scarlet (which by the way it isn't) Darwin's and San Cristobal (extinct). They haven't changed 'Vermilion', despite the scientific name change, as it keeps stability.

B

Last edited:
You disagree with Andrea and I disagree with you.

Tyrrhenian Flycatcher is fine for me. In the same way I see Kentish Plover outside of Kent and Sandwich Tern outside of a sandwich, I am quite capable of making the (not so difficult) mental leap of realising I am seeing a Tyrrhenian Flycatcher in the Balearics.

Brian S

If I could unilaterally change some English names, then Kentish Plover would be at or very near the top of that list (I am not sure what it would be changed to). It is a name that makes no sense to me and I never liked it.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back