• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars recommendation?? (1 Viewer)

Spacehog

Hello there! I am new to the forum, and I am a bit out of touch with regard to binoculars and stuff. The last time I was regularly bird watching was about 20 years ago, so I could use some help. I am looking for some binoculars for myself and my kids for bird watching. I think I've found something suitable for my kids, so now I'm looking for something for myself. I'd like to stay under $200 for sure, and yet I would like to have some binoculars with zoom if possible. Used is fine, heavy is fine, I don't need a case for them. I value durability over comfort

If there's nothing around with zoom for under $200, I would probably like to get something 8x40 through 10x50 power and I prefer full sized as opposed to the tiny ones. Ordering online is totally fine and I'm expecting to do that. Thanks in advance!

Sorry Zoom is a bad idea. Forget all about that, there are few if any options available anyway that would be suitable. You may have noticed it's not an option you find when looking at typical binoculars for birding or when looking at reasonable quality ones.

On this forum the Sightron Blue Sky II fits your budget and is pretty well regarded. Some super sales have been appearing on a few others, but most have gone so you'll have to watch for new ones. Watch the Bargains Thread. I think there are still some Mojave ones that just meet your budget in 8x power from Cabelas.

Sounds like you need some experience so maybe get something just to start, or go to the store and test a few different pairs or go to a bird watching event if they have them in your area where you might be able to try a few different ones.

Last edited:
First off, thanks so much for the reply and recommendation! As you say, I am very much lacking in experience, so anything I can learn here is appreciated. While we're on that topic, why do you feel like zoom is a bad option? I'm sure you know way more than I do, so I am eager to learn. In my experience, our family growing up had mostly 7x35 to 10x50 type binoculars when we were bird watching. However, my dad had a pair of binoculars with the zoom lens that went from maybe 8x magnification to about 15x or something like that. At times when a bird was very distant it was nice to have them because as a kid it was hard to get a bird into view using something with 15x magnification. But getting the bird in view with 8x magnification was pretty manageable. Then we could use the zoom to get in close enough for identification. That is why I want to get something with zoom if possible. But if there is another way that you prefer, I am all ears!

I guess I should point out that I am looking to do this as a family activity more than a serious hobby for now. My kids are 1st grade and under, so we are about the noisiest thing in the forest when we go to watch. But my kids still love it and they are getting decent at figuring out the birds and such. Some of them lack the coordination to use high magnification stuff though. If you have a good system for helping our kids to find stuff I am ready to learn!

Maybe some others will be able to give you some zoom options, but typically they did not have the quality people wanted (optically and sometimes mechanically) so there are not many options available. They may suit you're usage though you'll just have fewer options to choose from. As binoculars shrank I'm sure that put additional pressure on.

Bushnell make a couple in a couple different sizes, as I'm sure there are a few other brands. I've not seen anything recently that I would want to use, but if you get a larger pair maybe you can find something acceptable. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you identify the best candidates with Zoom.

zoom is a good idea....but does not work well with binoculars as both barrels have to ZOOM at exactly the same rate....with telescopes and rifle scopes it works fine but with binoculars you more often than not end up with an out of focus paper weight.....stick with an 8 or 10 power....32 or 42 objective size....keep an eye on Binoculars Bargain thread as v-good deals are spotted quite often.....

My suggestion would be that you consider the Zeiss Terra in either 8x42 or 10x42. They have been recently discounted, prices around $200-250---imo very good value for money.////Peter

Zeiss has recently replaced the Terra with a new version. The change is in the body and covering but the optics remain the same. Some stores have had some excellent closeout prices on the older style Terra because of this. The outgoing Terra is a very good binocular and an excellent buy at the closeout prices.

Based on you requirements in the original post, an 8X42 model should work well for you. The 8X42 Terra is a good entry point since it has very good optics at an affordable price.

One other to consider and it is equivalent to the Terra is the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8X42. There is currently an $80 rebate available for it until May 31, 2017.

Amazon has a before rebate price of $249.00 which after rebate drops it down to $169.00 before any taxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-End...ons&keywords=vanguard+endeavor+ED++8X42&psc=1

Also check out Optics Planet. They are $299.99 before rebate, but they have a note in the listing to call for a lower price. Optics Planet will most likely not have sales tax for your state and they are very good about returns if you are not satisfied.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vanguard-endeavor-ed-8420-8x42mm-binoculars.html

Vanguard rebate info .......

https://op2.ec.tc/pdf/opplanet-vanguard-mir-endeavor-2017.pdf

Both of these models are well received and although they differ somewhat, are very close overall to one another. There is nothing that either does poorly. There are slight differences in color balance. The Vanguard seems to have a slightly more forward balance to me, and the focus mechanism turns counter clockwise from close to far on the Endeavor and just the opposite on the Zeiss Terra. Some folks do not like the counter clockwise rotation. Both have a fast focus with the Endeavor being just slightly faster. I have both in the 8X42 and the Terra meets my personal preferences just a bit more, but I like them both.

The link from Dennis for the Leupold Mojave 8X32 is also an excellent binocular and a great deal for the sale price. It is an 8X32 which is smaller than what you mentioned in the first post. I have it in the Cabela's Guide badging and have no problem with it being a 32mm. It is definitely worth consideration.

On edit: Also, the other comments are right about avoiding a zoom model. The view is awful!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back