• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taking a trip to Sanibel island FL, anyone been? (1 Viewer)

Paulyoly

Is anyone on here from the sanibel island, cape coral area? I'm going in mid Sept. and hope to digiscope some burrowing owls, but have no idea where to look for them. I know cape coral boast the largest population in FL, if anyone knows some specific spots it would be most helpful.

thanks

I have a good friend who has a condo on Sanibel just outside the nature preserve (not Ding Darling NWR) on the end of the island near the lighthouse. Her brother-in-law who lives on Sanibel is very active in the wildlife rescue/rehab organization on the island.

I'll email her and ask if she or her BIL has any good ideas for places, and will let you know.

Lucky you! I have a standing invitation to visit Sanibel with my friend, and has never been able to make it -- YET!

Thanks, i will be staying at the shalimar cottages right on the gulf, just across from Ding darling. I've been searching the internet for burrowing owls and cape coral, but most of the info is old on owl nesting sites. If i don't see any i can always go visit my brother in pensacola next year and visit Eglin airforce base, i saw the episode of the crocodile hunter on animal planet and they have a good population there near some old runways. I'm assuming they will let me on the base with my scope and camera of course:t: . I'm sure if i were of arabic origin i wouldn't have a prayer.;) Wish i cold afford a condo on sanibel, saw one forsale for $775,0003:)

I spent a week there collecting shells in the 70s, Not sure where any Burrowing Owls are away from the Keys. Great birding on the island and Captiva...Van

I'm sure you'll get info on specific sites, but meanwhile-- look for brown lumps out in pasture land or short grassy areas. It may be a cowpie, but it may also be a Burrowing Owl near its burrow entrance, or just its head sticking out of same. Or you may see one sitting on a fence post at the roadside. Offhand, I don't recall seeing Burrowing Owls on Sanibel (I lived in Ft. Myers in the 60s). Go inland to ranch country. Sanibel itself is a small island, and can be birded quite thoroughly without much guidance.

I've heard from my friend the condo-owner, and she has forwarded my request on to Sanibel. It may take a couple of days, but I'll definitely report anything I learn.

Hey Pauloly!

I've heard from my friend again, and she's gotten this straight from her sis and BIL on Sanibel:

"I don't know of any info on the burrowing owls, but I have a few thoughts.

Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation (SCCF) or even the Chamber would be
good places to start, if he hasn't already._ If you need more info let me
know and I can make some local calls._ Meanwhile, here is the link to the
Chamber:
http://www.sanibel-captiva.org/ "

I'm playing cards with my friend on Saturday, and she has a Sanibel phone book at home, so we can look up phone numbers for Ding Darling and the organization mentioned above, if you'd like.

My friend also mentioned a place down there called CROW -- Care and Rehabilitation of Wildlife. Some one there may have some info, too, and we can get numbers for that.

I'll post anything else we turn up, too!

There used to be several places for Burrowing Owls a little way north of Lake Okeechobee,one I remember particularly was Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park.It might be about 60 miles or so from Cape Coral though.
I used to use the Great Florida Birding Trail Guides,which have information on sites all over Florida.
There is a website ;www.floridabirdingtrail.com.

Back november 1997 i was in Florida for a friends Wedding & then was able to have a few days rushing round the bird watching sites,taking a brake from birding for a swim in the sea i went onto Marco island,there in a large pool on the beach was a large gathering of sea birds including Royal & Fosters Terns,Skimmers & various gulls,with carfull approach,wading into the pool knee deep at one point i was able to get very close to the birds,close enough to get great photos of them with a conventional camera with a 200mm lens on,yes the mention of gulf coast islands brought back memories of a brilliant chance encounter.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back