• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Trophy 9x63 (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
This evening while out at a local beach for my daily swim, a couple passed by to chat about the water temperature. The bloke was packing a huge pair of binos, and I asked for a peek. Bushnell Trophy 9x63, he said he´d had them about twenty years. In the fading light, they seemed incredibly bright, with excellent colour rendition (although I was looking mostly at shades of grey, with some orange and yellow light in the sky). I had nothing to compare them with, though. I was surprised, because last year I had a look through a Trophy 8x32 and thought they were rotten. Has anyone else seen these 9x63 models?

Looks like nobody here...
An excellent pair and a lackluster pair from the same model name are not unusual in my experience.
There was a "Ensign" 7x25 model that was much less than the 7x26 Customs, but I have an odd
9.3 degree Ensign that I prerer to the Ensigns and the old little Customs. The "Sportview" line was mostly plain
but a very cool precision Mirador-style 8x24 I have was given that designation. I've seen lackluster
reviews for various "Trophy" models and the occasional "wow!". At a store I tried an incredible
"Natureview" 8x40 (BAK4 variant) pair, but online I see a bunch of different 8x40s, 8x42s, roofs and Porros,
all with the same name. I even got some dismal Bausch&Lomb 8x24s, and an amazing pair of
Bushnell 8x23s with no model designation at all.

I think you really saw something great, but you can't use the model name to get back to it.
There are subtle lens, baffle, focuser, and body changes that usually go along with a 'good year'.
I try to make a mental note of those details, a lot like buying the old Japan products at auction.

9x63 is unusual for Bushnell, though. There is a good chance that size and approximate age would be 'the one'
if you found it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back