• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300D and a Sigma AF Tele 500mm 1:7.2 (1 Viewer)

Red Thunder

Hi All,

Re: Canon 300D and a Sigma AF Tele 500mm 1:7.2

I have the above lens and would like to use it on my 300D. Unfortunately it keeps erroring the camera :-(

Someone said Sigma will do a upgrade. I've been in contact with Sigma to no avail and claim it's obsolete and cant be done, so dead end.

It's to be OK'ish on manual and will error less frequent than auto.

I was wondering if there any hack by software or physical that would disconnect the electronics from lens to camera. For example remove the gold contacts on the lens.

Any thoughts,

RT

PS Is there any addons that could convert the virtually useless less into a scope ? Just a thougt.

Last edited:
sorry RT but sigma are right.basically the lens is too old for the camera and the camera cannot set the aperture, hence the error message.the only way you could use it is on aperture priority (AV) set at f7.2.to remove the gold contacts would be a waste of time as it is the camera body that operates the aperture on the lens so you wouldnt be gaining anything.if you set the camera as i said above then at least you will keep the autofocus and should still get some good shots.let us know how you get on.i use a 300d by the way,cracking camera!

nothing wrong with that!stick with it for now,you will be surprised at the shots you will get from that combo.the only thing that will suffer is your depth of field,and that isnt everything.as long as you are happy.mike.

Red Thunder said:
Hi All,

Re: Canon 300D and a Sigma AF Tele 500mm 1:7.2

I have the above lens and would like to use it on my 300D. Unfortunately it keeps erroring the camera :-(

Any thoughts,

Welcome to the disgruntled Sigma owners club! I too have a near mint 500 f7.2 which works fine on my film bodies. Sigma did upgrade the chip on my 17-35 Asph HSM EX, but confirmed that the tele was too old.

I wish I knew who gains out of this attitude on, I assume, Sigma's part, in not paying the Canon mount licence fee. Currently, I'm in the market for a replacement 300 f2.8 as my old EF300 f2.8L original version is too old for its front focus problem to be repaired. I know the prices for a new Sigma 300 f2.8L, but I'm much more likely to spend rather more on the genuine Canon article, either new, or mint s/h with a good guarantee.

On past form, sooner or later, Canon will offer new DSLRs which will make any current Sigma lens obsolete again.

Malcolm Stewart said:
Currently, I'm in the market for a replacement 300 f2.8 as my old EF300 f2.8L original version is too old for its front focus problem to be repaired. I know the prices for a new Sigma 300 f2.8L, but I'm much more likely to spend rather more on the genuine Canon article, either new, or mint s/h with a good guarantee.

Annoying as it is that some of the older Sigma lenses are not compatible with DSLRs those that are still represent excellent value for money. As you've found out to your cost even buying Canon gear doesn't mean it will last as long as we'd like. It is now impossible to get a number of the older Canon lenses repaired - secondhand 500 f4.5, 600 f4 (non-IS) and 300 f2.8 (non-IS) change hands for decent money, but if they develop a fault you've had it.

Quote:pS Is there any addons that could convert the virtually useless less into a scope ? Just a thougt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been experimenting with an old Minolta Mount Tokina 400 F 6.3 Preset and manual focus. I made a tube from a pipe to connect to the lens with a 10X Microscope eyepiece. Provided I can put the eyepiece at the right distance from the lens, it works well as a telescope. (although I do not know the power). Of course with my old lens, the quality is not that great, but the point is: It works. Regards.
Eastwood

Malcolm Stewart said:
Currently, I'm in the market for a replacement 300 f2.8 as my old EF300 f2.8L original version is too old for its front focus problem to be repaired. I know the prices for a new Sigma 300 f2.8L, but I'm much more likely to spend rather more on the genuine Canon article, either new, or mint s/h with a good guarantee.

postcardcv said:
Annoying as it is that some of the older Sigma lenses are not compatible with DSLRs those that are still represent excellent value for money. As you've found out to your cost even buying Canon gear doesn't mean it will last as long as we'd like. It is now impossible to get a number of the older Canon lenses repaired - secondhand 500 f4.5, 600 f4 (non-IS) and 300 f2.8 (non-IS) change hands for decent money, but if they develop a fault you've had it.

I've now had the EF 300 f2.8L lens returned, and despite Fixation saying that it was beyond repair, I guess that dismantling and re-assembling it moved some dust or whatever out of the way. Perhaps they cleaned a slip ring or two, or whatever is used to carry signals from the mount to the works. I carried out brief checks yesterday on delivery, and this pm have recently got back from the local lake with some good in-focus shots of quite small crested duck with convincingly sharp crests and eyes. There's certainly no suggestion of the front focus problem which has dogged me for some months.

That's quite a relief considering the going rate for a current EF 300 f2.8L IS is around £3,000.

Malcolm Stewart said:
I've now had the EF 300 f2.8L lens returned, and despite Fixation saying that it was beyond repair, I guess that dismantling and re-assembling it moved some dust or whatever out of the way. Perhaps they cleaned a slip ring or two, or whatever is used to carry signals from the mount to the works. I carried out brief checks yesterday on delivery, and this pm have recently got back from the local lake with some good in-focus shots of quite small crested duck with convincingly sharp crests and eyes. There's certainly no suggestion of the front focus problem which has dogged me for some months.

That's quite a relief considering the going rate for a current EF 300 f2.8L IS is around £3,000.

I'm very glad to hear that the lens is back to working as it should Malcolm - let's hope it keeps going for a good few years yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back