• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

For travel: Minox BV 8x25 BR? (1 Viewer)

oleaf

Hi Folks,

Looking for a pair of binos for travel and would like opinions about the Minox BV 8x25 BR.

If you've tried them please speak up...

Cheers

Well... since no one could tell me about them I decided to buy a pair and try them out.

Size: Very nice and small. Wanted a regular bino, not a double folder

Handling: nice... focuser very smooth. Minox says VW designers helped out with the styling.

Optics: Honestly, I played with the diopter for over an hour trying to get these to work well. Seemed the plane of focus was never equal. Very mushy view... that's how I would describe it. Kind of sad as I wanted a small bino and these fit the bill (as long as you didn't need to actually look through them!)

These cost $149... but perform like $25 binos.

EO is getting them back.

Cheers

Sorry to hear your experience I have the older BD 8x25 BRW which work for me.

I have had a lot of disappointment with a number of similar sized bins - I don't know if it is me, lack of quality control, poor design or just bad luck.

Price or manufacturer wasn't always the issue as I bought two very similar pocket bins (just the magnification different) from another well known manufacturer - one was excellent the other unusable (very mushy view).

I guess that for me it is even more important to try before buying in this size.

I wish you luck in your search.

J

Thanks Guys,

If anyone has opinion on compacts I'd be happy to hear them.

I wear glasses so 16mm is about the minimum. Need the bins to fit in a coat pocket.
Like the center hinge design.

These are for trail running, mountain biking, hiking.

Cheers

Oleaf,

I've had a pair of Pentax UCF-Mini 9x21s since 1996. The body is the same as that used by the newer Papilio. My 9x21s are quite compact at just 7.4oz, have better optics than you'd think, and mechanicals that have stood up to these years of use. They were my travel and backpacking bins. Recently, in retirement with a need for a bigger objective at twilight, I've gone to packing a pair of Leupold 8x30 Yosemites.

Bottom line is that you might want to give the little Pentax a good look :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back