• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200 f.4 USM v 70-200 f.4 IS USM Lens (1 Viewer)

DICKER

Have decided to go for a 70-200 f.4 Lens. Have not heard one single word said against it. The problem is now there is the new IS version coming out which is the one to go for in your opinion? The lens can be handheld easily so is IS really a must? Warehouse Express have it up for £990! I am happy to pay the extra but wondered if it would be that beneficial. The lens will be used for travel and everyday use. Also would the USM version come down in price now there is a newer version coming out? :h?:

£990 this must be almost twice the non is versions price,I have this lens and although i dont use it a great deal it is a very nice lens to use,not to heavy easy to hand hold very sharp,IMHO i dont think the IS version is worth the extra.The 70-200IS may well drop in price once its been in the shops a month or so.

I too have a 70-200 f4 and, as Ragna says, it is not too heavy to hand hold anyway. It is a bit of a mystery, to me at least, why Canon have chosen this lens to add on IS. Perhaps they have run out of ideas protem or they have something else in the pipeline.
I would have thought that the 400mm f5.6 would have been a more suitable candidate for IS but if it doubles the price then perhaps not. It is a very popular lens at the moment but I for one would not pay double the price.
You cannot go wrong with the 70-200 f4. It is an excellent lens.

Another vote in favour. There is no need for IS on this f4 lens. And it's a bargain.

I am slightly relieved that Canon haven't brought out a 400mm f5.6 IS version - having recently delved deep and gone for the 400mm f4 DO IS, on grounds of wanting IS (as well as the extra f stop).

I've not used this lens, but have been thinking about buying one and would certainly not pay double for the IS version... what I'd like to have seen is a non-IS version of the 70-200 f2.8.

I have not used both lens, but for 80-200 F4 I am leaning on the non-IS model. With a fast enough shutter speed and better, with some support, it should not be difficult to handheld 200mm, and as Sony has an image stabilized camera A100, who know when Canon will follow suit?

How's your bank balance? ;-)

I have the f2.8 IS version, and in low light I have taken sharp handheld shots at 200mm @ 1/15th second. Only you can decide whether that ability is worth the extra money, for me it is what makes the lens indispensible.
In my experience IS will increase your percentage of sharp photos considerably.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back