• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Clueless Potter Around New England - 4th to 18th June 2016 (1 Viewer)

Well - the non-birding phase of the trip has started as my telescope is in my wife's suitcase as she is heading back today (Saturday) to leave me to my course.

Friday (yesterday) did not produce the anticipated better weather in the White Mountains. I got wet. Very wet. I could not see Cannon Mountain at all from the road let alone the top of it.

I had learned White-throated Sparrow song at Moose Bog. I had heard it once before in 1992. As I stood in the rain at Trudeau Road, I chased one along the path and into the undergrowth to confirm it. There were many things it could have been but no it was a White-throated Sparrow. A squirrel with a bright red tail - it didn't look like a Grey? - ran towards me, sat on a log and laughed loudly. Some may raise an eyebrow at such anthropomorphism but I raised my camera, it turned towards me and laughed again just to emphasise that was its purpose rather than some territorial display.

Nothing new at Trudeau Road but highlights were a drake Wood Duck, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Magnolia Warbler and Swamp Sparrow.

Back at the hotel at Lincoln, a female Peregrine circled and a White-breasted Nuthatch in the adjoining trees was a tick.

Never one to quit I decided to get another set of clothes wet and tried the Jefferson Notch Road again. I succeeded as anticipated in getting wet but failing to add any life birds though Eastern Bluebird was a trip tick.

It was time to concede defeat really. We had a rendezvous in Concord, Massachusetts at 3.00pm. We made it (just about) and met a work colleague who is an American history buff and literary buff.

He wanted to walk the town. I left my camera in the car. Birding was over. Of course, I kept my bins on me. If I'd had my camera, the photos of Downy Woodpecker and Broad-winged Hawk would have been great. Another White-breasted Nuthatch was welcome. Continued incompetence......

So to today - Saturday - a quick walk this morning at Great Meadows added Least Bittern and a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeak to the trip list. I put my faith in my newly found skill in American bird noises. I was certain that short call was Song Sparrow. I waited to see it emerge to congratulate myself - only for a Chipmunk to come out of the undergrowth, call again and laugh. Word was clearly getting around of my incompetence.

Since then a couple of tourist traps - Minute Man National Park added Hairy Woodpecker to the life list. There was a chap dressed as an English soldier on Minute Man Bridge awaiting a walk of 300 Americans. My friend and I offered to help him out - we're both from Essex and we could have reversed the result. My wife disapproved.

Walden Pond has been quiet. It is about three times the size of Billingham Pond and also has a Double-crested Cormorant. Apparently it is famous for a chap who lived self-sufficiently. He must have got an annual parking permit - it is $8 per day! I understand why he went self-sufficient though. I expected an ice cream kiosk by the pond side...

Course starts tomorrow. The rain is predicted to return later.

All the best

Last edited:
Paul, the squirrel with the red tail was probably a red squirrel (smaller than the typical gray squirrel?). Their chattering call sounds like a laugh.

And don't feel bad about the chipmunk. I did that same thing this morning. It happens.

Shame the weather didn't hold up for you.

Jeff - noted and thanks.

Just discovered the room I am staying in at The Colonial Inn in Concord is meant to be the most haunted in America. Typically I am dipping the ghosts. The most common June Massachusetts species I still need on my life list are Eastern Phoebe, House Wren, Warbling Vireo & Wood Thrush. Hoping to grab 2 hours birding in the morning before I head back into Boston.

All the best

Shame you aren't here in PA. I can get you all four of those within a half mile of my apartment. I even hear wood thrush and house wren most mornings walking to my car.

Nothing added trip wise.

Course is pretty intensive but around campus and the nearby Charles River, the course list proper has got a little momentum:-
American Robin - the commonest passerine around campus
Starling - with evidence of successful breeding
American Herring Gull - overflying
Canada Goose - at least 70 on the river with successful breeding
Double-crested Cormorant - the odd flyby
Mallard - about 10 on the river
House Sparrow - the other European interloper
Cardinal - the odd one around campus
Night Heron - at least three on the river
Chimney Swift - around 10 a fairly constant site
Song Sparrow - singing away alongside the river
Tree Swallow - the odd one or two
Red-winged Blackbird - a male this morning
Brown-headed Cowbird - a female/juvenile this evening
Common Grackle - flying over this evening
Total - 15 species

Hopefully I'll be able to slip in a walk tomorrow morning before the 7am start...... I've still not ruled out one of my common life list omissions!

All the best

Last edited:
Jeff - noted and thanks.

Just discovered the room I am staying in at The Colonial Inn in Concord is meant to be the most haunted in America. Typically I am dipping the ghosts. The most common June Massachusetts species I still need on my life list are Eastern Phoebe, House Wren, Warbling Vireo & Wood Thrush. Hoping to grab 2 hours birding in the morning before I head back into Boston.

All the best

You've probably already done this, but I looked on ebird and noticed that Warbling Vireo has been reported fairly recently at several locations that a more or less within walking distance of the B School. I should say though that WBs appear to have gone silent here in New York. I haven't heard one for a week or so at locations where I was regularly hearing multiple territorial males just two or three weeks ago. Search ebird and you should see recent sightings. The sightings I saw were late enough that they likely represent birds on territories, not migrants.

George

Many thanks. They are 'beasting' us a bit however so getting away is unlikely to prove possible.

That said Great Black-backed Gull and a small flock of Cedar Waxwing through the campus were my 16th and 17th species of this phase.

All the best

Last edited:
I hadn't realized that you were visiting Harvard. In that light, this Cornell alumnus has only one more thing to say:

HARVARD SUCKS!

I hadn't realized that you were visiting Harvard. In that light, this Cornell alumnus has only one more thing to say:

HARVARD SUCKS!

Jeff

I'll make sure that I pass on the message. 3:)

Distracted today during the group photo by a Downy Woodpecker - 18th species. Two hours prep now. I really need to get for a birding walk.......

All the best

A nice male Baltimore Oriole in campus was new for the week before Feral Pigeon and 3 Mourning Doves at Fenway at the start of tonight's game taking this week to 21 species.

All the best

Sometimes its the birds "stolen" in non-birding moments that stick best in the memory - mine was a female Summer Tanager at my wife's graduation ceremony at a college somewhere near Chicago a few years ago.

Cheers
Mike

Interesting. I never pictured the Harvard campus as having any bird life other than house sparrows, starlings, and pigeons. Oriole is a nice surprise.

Interesting. I never pictured the Harvard campus as having any bird life other than house sparrows, starlings, and pigeons. Oriole is a nice surprise.

Well last two additions for the study week were a Northern Rough-winged Swallow that flew along the Charles River and an Eastern Kingbird. The pace never really eased for that week so no time for anything other than the most incidental birding and now home. I'll try and make some sense of the species list and play with the photos. Alas the ISO is off the scale for that first week of subdued weather.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• American Woodcock.jpg
    American Woodcock.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Mount Auburn Cemetery

If you haven't already been it would be worth getting the bus from Harvard up to Mount Auburn cemetary we had some great birding there, loads of warblers, Vireo and even Screech Owl.

Hi Paul, great report. Are you intending to post a full trip list? I for one would be interested in all the birds you saw.

cheers,

Larry

Larry

Certainly intend to do so. It's going to continue to be hectic at work for at least three weeks but thereafter, I certainly intend to finish this (as well as Bulgaria and post something on Western Sahara from February).

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back