• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Hi Dave thought I hadn't noticed your Monica at the bottom of the page.

Year list moving on a bit now I am on 86 what's yours?
B :)cu over the weekend. John

Nothing seen of note from a birding front except I bumped into Gordon who had walked the Salwarpe from his house and had heard six Chiffchaffs on the Moors, Eddy and Flashes areas of the reserve.
Saw a fox (dark fur) in the sewage works and three Fallow Deer emerged from the area of the stile behind the Third Flash and ran up the bank and out of sight over the top of the hill/orchard.
I am now at a loss as to what's eating the food on my photographic feeding area. It goes in 24 hours of being replenished but I sat there for four hours in my hide and had only single visits by a Blue Tit and Great Tit and missed them both through unsurprising inattentiveness! Nocturnal feeding by squirrels and/or deer get my vote!
Now, I'm not claiming this as my skills with song could be a lot better, but if I was a betting man I'd wager and swear I heard a Marsh Tit to my right (on the fringes of and above the pond/phragmites). Please listen out for it when in the area.

Last edited:
Nothing of note from a birding front except I bumped into Gordon who had walked the Salwarpe from his house and had heard six Chiffchaffs on the Moors, Eddy and Flashes areas of the reserve.
Fox seen in the sewage works and three Fallow Deer emerged from the area of the stile and ran up the bank and out of sight over the top of the hill/orchard.
Those deer, are now being seen very regularly Bob (photographer) saw them yesterday.:t:

Last edited:
Phil

I know this is your labour of love and very much doubt that there are any errors, but who had the Mealy, RP and Green Sand - just don't remember reading the reports?

Last edited:
Nothing seen of note from a birding front except I bumped into Gordon who had walked the Salwarpe from his house and had heard six Chiffchaffs on the Moors, Eddy and Flashes areas of the reserve.
Saw a fox (dark fur) in the sewage works and three Fallow Deer emerged from the area of the stile behind the Third Flash and ran up the bank and out of sight over the top of the hill/orchard.
I am now at a loss as to what's eating the food on my photographic feeding area. It goes in 24 hours of being replenished but I sat there for four hours in my hide and had only single visits by a Blue Tit and Great Tit and missed them both through unsurprising inattentiveness! Nocturnal feeding by squirrels and/or deer get my vote!
Now, I'm not claiming this as my skills with song could be a lot better, but if I was a betting man I'd wager and swear I heard a Marsh Tit to my right (on the fringes of and above the pond/phragmites). Please listen out for it when in the area.

i will check out your marsh tit sighting when in down there after, ive always thought the eddy looked good for marsh tit...
MB

... and three Fallow Deer emerged from the area of the stile behind the Third Flash and ran up the bank and out of sight over the top of the hill/orchard.

Phil

I know this is your labour of love and very much doubt that there are any errors, but who had the Mealy, RP and Green Sand - just don't remember reading the reports?

Sy,

Fallow Deer? Wouldn't that be new for the reserve?

Dave W had both Mealy and RP. I heard the latter as it flew off a couple of weekends ago. I think it was GLaB who had the Green Sand.

Cheers
Mike

Bit of a reserve mega there Sy, only 3 previous records the last one being in Spring 1986. Previous dates for records are 8/4/78, 23/4/83 and Spring 1986 so a Spring bird would seem favorable and prove popular for some of the regulars! Definatley one to follow up!

Sy,

Cheers
Mike

According to 'The Book' Fallow Deer is on the mammal list. Still a good record though?

Sy,

Dave W had both Mealy and RP. I heard the latter as it flew off a couple of weekends ago. I think it was GLaB who had the Green Sand.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, the occurrence went something like this (as I was sat in John's favourite corner of the hide)... the hide was full.
Vickers "Three deer next to the stile!"
They began to run up the bank.
"Fallow Deer... nice!" from an elderly gentleman to my right.
"Oh, they're Fallow, are they?" I asked genuinely, as I'm not particularly au fait with deer other than Muntjac and Sika.
"Yes, you can tell they're Fallows by their big white arses." Came from somewhere on my left.

Make of that what you will mate. I think Bob got photos.

Last edited:
Bit of a reserve mega there Sy...

Which is exactly why I ain't claiming it! If I'd seen it (I was in two minds whether to blow my cover and exit my pop-up hide, but my hunt for the LSW photo got the better of my judgement) I'd have been shouting it from the hilltops believe me, Tim!

Last edited:
The 15 Cormorants included a summer plumaged bird, which is either an old bird of the british nominate race or a continental (sinensis) anybody like to say?

John, see http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/id.htm
Photos of one thought to be sinensis on the Draycote Birding sightings page, earlier this month.
Having studied the Cormorants at my patch for the past several weeks, I'd be interested to know how many sinensis records there are for Upton?
Matt

Mike, the occurrence went something like this (as I was sat in John's favourite corner of the hide)... the hide was full.
Vickers "Three deer next to the stile!"
They began to run up the bank.
"Fallow Deer... nice!" from an elderly gentleman to my right.
"Oh, they're Fallow, are they?" I asked genuinely, as I'm not particularly au fait with deer other than Muntjac and Sika.
"Yes, you can tell they're Fallows by their big white arses." Came from somewhere on my left.

Make of that what you will mate. I think Bob got photos.

Roe Deers have white around their rear parts and very short tails. Fallow have white rear ends, long tails with black stripe. What you saw was probably Roe.

I photographed this year's RP - see earlier post (can't remember date off hand) but not Mealy Redpoll (very difficult with Digiscoping) but I will put in a description.

Marsh Tit extremely rare at UW (and declining or extinct at some of the nearest known sites - e.g. Westwood, Trench Wood). Are you able to describe the call you heard Sy?

Another annual tick for UW?

Male Goldeneye from the West hide on the Moors Pool this morning.

Arthur Jacobs, who also saw the bird from the East hide, thought that we may have had one already this year. However, after consulting the book in the East hide and Phil's monthly records for January and February there doesn't appear to have been one recorded so far this year.

The 2nd summer/winter Med Gull was present again. I hadn't seen it since last Friday morning, when it had some white on its forehead. Today's bird exhibited a full black hood. Was this the same bird that I saw last week? The primaries were white with black markings interspersed, indicating that the bird was not a full adult.

Other highlights included a Grey Wagtail, which landed in a poplar tree in the Sailing Lake car park before flying off calling; a Skylark in song flight over Hobden Hall farm; 8 Avocets, 2 Oystercatchers and 1 Snipe at the Flashes.

Back at the Moors there were 4 Oystercatchers, 9 Snipe, 2 Shelducks, 2 Gadwall and 2 Little Grebes.

A pair of Treecreepers and at least 2 singing Chiffchaffs were in the Education Reserve.

My UW year total now stands at 75 (inc FP)!

Male Goldeneye from the West hide on the Moors Pool this morning.

Arthur Jacobs, who also saw the bird from the East hide, thought that we may have had one already this year. However, after consulting the book in the East hide and Phil's monthly records for January and February there doesn't appear to have been one recorded so far this year.

The 2nd summer/winter Med Gull was present again. I hadn't seen it since last Friday morning, when it had some white on its forehead. Today's bird exhibited a full black hood. Was this the same bird that I saw last week? The primaries were white with black markings interspersed, indicating that the bird was not a full adult.

Other highlights included a Grey Wagtail, which landed in a poplar tree in the Sailing Lake car park before flying off calling; a Skylark in song flight over Hobden Hall farm; 8 Avocets, 2 Oystercatchers and 1 Snipe at the Flashes.

Back at the Moors there were 4 Oystercatchers, 9 Snipe, 2 Shelducks, 2 Gadwall and 2 Little Grebes.

A pair of Treecreepers and at least 2 singing Chiffchaffs were in the Education Reserve.

My UW year total now stands at 75 (inc FP)!

Nice one Andy. There's at least 3 in your sightings I haven't got yet so a visit tomorrow would appear to be in order. Has there been any sign of LRP again?

Nice one Andy. There's at least 3 in your sightings I haven't got yet so a visit tomorrow would appear to be in order. Has there been any sign of LRP again?

No sign of LRP or any summer migrants.

As andy said, the 2nd summer MED GULL was on the moors before roosting on the flashes, and the drk goldeneye out in front of the west hide,
all totals etc, the same as in andys post....
1.jpg

SDC15776.JPG

SDC15774.JPG

SDC15772.JPG

In the end i didnt go into the eddy, but told gordon who went in to have a look, so he will probs know...
he was saying how he heard a blue tit with a marsh type call that he saw a few weeks ago??
MB

That's a Med Gull worth seeing!

A flying visit to the moors this evening was well worthwhile - the drake Goldeneye and 2nd Summer Med showed well (BTW the only difference between 2W and 2S Med Gulls is the head-moult as far as I understand so this looks like a full 2S to me). I'll get around to totting up my year list at some point. B :)

PS if anyone comments about the initial errors in my post please note that I'm knackered after driving from northern France8-P

Last edited:
John, see http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/id.htm
Photos of one thought to be sinensis on the Draycote Birding sightings page, earlier this month.
Having studied the Cormorants at my patch for the past several weeks, I'd be interested to know how many sinensis records there are for Upton?
Matt

I had better get the protractor out and have a closer look. Interesting Article Matt nice one. I can't say we have ever had one :smoke:
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back