• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dr. Forns's Oriente Warbler (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a possible (at least, in my mind, a highly likely) addition on ...

fornsi as in:
• Oriente Warbler Teretistris fornsi GUNDLACH 1858 (here), no dedication, no explanation ...

Thereby, simply following the clues given in today's HBW Alive Key:
fornsi
Ramón M. Forns (fl. 1858) Cuban naturalist, collector (Teretistris).
I would expand (and alter?) it a little, following this paper, by the same Gundlach in 1859, here (p.296):
Ich nenne ihn Teretistris Fornsi, denn Don Ramon Forns, einer meiner besten Freunde, ist jetzt der beste hiesige Vogelkenner.
= the Cuban naturalist (ornithologist, entomologist as well as malacologists) and collector Don Ramón Forns, Director del Colegio Santa Teresa (Director of the Santa Teresa School) in Havanna as well as Director of the Botanical Garden in the same city, who collected (several new birds, as well as other animals) together with various prominent ornthologist in Cuba, during the 1850's and close friend to Mr. Gundlach.

Where the initial "M." originates from is unknown to me.

Also see the following links (if you know Spanish); here, here, here, here, here or here ... and onwards. He´s quite easy to find, simply search for: "Ramón Forns". And also See Biblioteca científica cubana, 1918, here (p.271):
Cubano y Director del Colegio Santa Teresa. Dio a conocer varias aves cubanas en 1850. Viva en 1880.
But ... in the same volume (end note) see; p.435 and p.440(a), in the: Otras Notas, here: ... could it be the same guy?

Ramón Forns y Gonzales (1812–1881) ... if so I assume the "y Gonzales" part is once again an added Mother's name (in that, for us awkward, Spanish tradition of how to explain who he was).

I guess you need to know Spanish (which I don´t) to get the whole picture, so take this for whatvever it´s worth!

However: enjoy!

Björn

Would [this] be about him...?
These are documents from the Spanish ministry of Ultramar (Overseas), about the appointment in 1845 of 'Don Ramón Manuel Forns', native of the ciudad de la Habana, isla de Cuba, as a primary school teacher in the same city.
(Name, quality ('Don', cf. Lawrence's 'Esq.'), date, location and occupation all seem to match him.)

Last edited:
Would [this] be about him...?
[...]
I guess so (!) ... as the updated HBW Alive Key now suddenly tell us:
fornsi
Ramón Manuel Forns (1812-1881) Cuban naturalist, collector (Teretistris).
Well done! :t:

Hagen was Hermann-August Hagen.
= the German entomologist Hermann August (no hyphen) Hagen (1817–1893).
Not to confuse with Dr Bernhard Hagen (1853–1919), commemorated in the scientific name hageni
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back