• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Spent the day watching juvenile goldfinches being taught to eat from the sunflower hearts feeders last Saturday - they took a while to work it out and in the meantime begged from every nearby bird, including sparrows and blue tits!

Juv Chiffchaff in the garden yesterday and Swifts over on the weekend which aren't common here. Saw the Sparrowhawk a week ago with what appeared to be a House Martin.

Rich

Still good numbers of common birds here- Jay, Nuthatch, Siskin, and Goldcrest and Treecreeper in the conifers. Family of four Bullfinch down the lane as well.

Rich

Dreadful photos but the windows were dirtyo:D and it was very early. I took this to be a young male visiting the garden this morning given he was a dwt (small).

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 115
Not had the feeders out for a few months but decided to fill one up a few days ago. Pair of Nuthatch have just arrived and the first for nearly two years. Last brood of Blackbirds are now active on the lawn and dozens of Blue, Great, Coal Tits.

we had 11 long tailed tits in the garden a few days back, it was their wonderful chittering that first grabbed my attenion, this is the first I have seen of them since March, and today we had a brief visit from the nuthatch, this is the first I have seen of the nuthatch in our garden since the spring.

The Cardinal Family Stopped By

It looks like a young female and male and possibly an older male stopped by the feeder today.

Attachments

• P1050074Male-Juvie-1SMALL.jpg
    P1050074Male-Juvie-1SMALL.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 105
  • P1040909-post-01SMALL.JPG
    P1040909-post-01SMALL.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1050147-in treeSMALL.jpg
    P1050147-in treeSMALL.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 103
  • P1050140SMALL.jpg
    P1050140SMALL.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 110
Siskin numbers on the rise again. 80+ yesterday. Loads of 1st years. Goldfinches ignoring the Niger and going the Sunflower hearts instead. Sporadic vsits fron 4 Redpolls. Unusual visitor on the 28th Aug late aftrenoon. A Merlin having a go at the Siskins. Have not seen it again. Seems to have been a productive year for some species. The Sparrowhawks visit every 2 or three days. Not seen them taking anything for some time now. The local Red Kites fly over usually between 17:00 and 17:30 hrs. All in all, it's been quite a good birding summer in the garden.

thought I had a large mixed flock arrive in the garden, but on closer inspection everyone was a Blue Tit, estimate over 100 birds. Easily the largest flock of Blue Tits I have seen, never mind in the garden.

Sparrowhawk...

.... defeated by an equally sized and determined Jackdaw. This morning in the garden.

Attachments

• 2T0A0799.jpg
    2T0A0799.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 87
  • 2T0A0757-(1).jpg
    2T0A0757-(1).jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 86
Enjoyed watching a Chiffchaff in the garden this afternoon. A Red Kite also flew over and there's good numbers of Coal Tits at the moment as well. As the afternoon drew into the evening a few bats made an appearance.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back