• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live seawatching webcam (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I'm trying something for fun.

A webcam strapped to a knackered of Nikon filed scope out of my office window. Its showing a live feed of the Sea (centred on the buoy HE3 which is about 1.5miles out - my equivalent of the Runnelstone!)

http://quaintways.camstreams.com/

It drops out quite a lot - I have trouble with Wifi and sea view simultaneously.

At least you can see the sea and tide state and on a good blow Leach's Petrels should be doable.... as dancing specs.

Grey seals are IDable swimming through and the sometimes haul out on the buouy.

1. Lesser Black-backed Gull
2. Herring Gull
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Scoter
5. Sandwich Tern
6. Common (pres) Tern
7. Cormorant

and one Mammal so far - Grey Seal

I'm trying something for fun.

A webcam strapped to a knackered of Nikon filed scope out of my office window. Its showing a live feed of the Sea (centred on the buoy HE3 which is about 1.5miles out - my equivalent of the Runnelstone!)

http://quaintways.camstreams.com/

It drops out quite a lot - I have trouble with Wifi and sea view simultaneously.

At least you can see the sea and tide state and on a good blow Leach's Petrels should be doable.... as dancing specs.

Grey seals are IDable swimming through and the sometimes haul out on the buouy.

Dont you need to be focusing a bit closer to shore to pick up the Tropicbird?

Jane you need to be focusing way below where every other sea watching camera is focused. When the RBT flies past (in view for perhaps 7 secs or will it be 25?) the camera (on automatically interpreting the data, comparing it with the BBRC database and realising the importance) needs to relay the information via Twitter, Facebook and Text and to set a siren going off to the 'n' observers up the cliff (where 40<=n<=76) and a semaphore type display would not go amiss.

The visibility is less that the 3/4 a mile that the tide edge is at present. I may go and move the camera onto a gull roost that is building up. Soon.. be warned, its hard to move the scope which is at 100+x and has a field of view of less than a BIC biro minus its refil... plus there is about a 6 second lag on the focusing.

Sea-sickness pills may be in order

here proof of the Common Gull

Attachments

• common gull.jpg
    common gull.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
SO here's a question. Lets say something obvious and rare... say a Willet, wanders through.... 7 people see it, there is a screen gab or three, but no ones sees it in the flesh...

What is the difference between seeing a bird though a telescope and with an optical eyepiece and one with an electronic eyepiece?

SO here's a question. Lets say something obvious and rare... say a Willet, wanders through.... 7 people see it, there is a screen gab or three, but no ones sees it in the flesh...

What is the difference between seeing a bird though a telescope and with an optical eyepiece and one with an electronic eyepiece?
:t: Now that should start a lively debate,
Nigel.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back